Mid-Century Modern aka Mad Men PC

What if IBM had invented the PC twenty years earlier? What would Don Draper's computer look like?

What I'm doing here in this thread is trying out new materials, finishes and methods to see how they work. It does however have a theme because it's just mo' fun that way.

A blogger over at Core77 challenged me to do something in the mid century modern style. MCM is all about vast expanses of wooden surfaces and that works well with my experimentations.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

I did some research and came up with this early-Sixties Danish-designed desk that I liked a lot. The floating table top was a common design during the period. Slender legs and an overall airiness were typical of the period. The television show Mad Men has made MCM very popular and the front mounted built-in bar cabinet reminds me of the show.

008.jpg

004.jpg

This project will be built around a Silverstone TJ08. It is a steel case that fits micro-ATX motherboards. I have no intention to spend money on computer components for this rig. My design will have no provisions for optical drives, USB ports, ventilation ports or anything else that supports imaginary installed equipment. I will however design it so these things can be easily backfit if required. The vent system will be custom built to whatever ends up inside...if anything.

006.jpg

My intention is to purchase all the materials at my local DIY. For me, that means Lowe's. I start off with 1/2" x 2" x 24" red oak boards that will be formed into the legs. Here is a stock board next to one that I have rough-cut into a taper. I make the taper by adjusting my table saw fence...nah, I'm just kidding.

005.jpg

I make the taper by carving off the excess material with a razor knife. The final shape is made by clamping all four legs together and running them across taped-down 60-grit sandpaper.

009.jpg

Result of efforts. The lengths will be trimmed when I figure out what looks right.

011.jpg

The legs have a slightly curved edge and since I don't have a router I found an acceptable profile in the mouth of this open-end wrench.

010.jpg

By running the wrench along the length of the leg I am able to control my hand sanding effort. The idea is to maintain a consistency across all four pieces.

027.jpg

I bought a sheet of 1/4" red oak plywood and cut two side panels. I cut my panels by using various handsaws and time.

012.jpg

The top and bottom panels are cut from 3/8" birch plywood that I had lying around. The additional thickness aids structural support by providing a greater gluing surface area.

013.jpg

Actual gluing operation. Glue, clamp, wait, repeat.

014.jpg

015.jpg

For the bottom panel I decided to provide even more support by installing 1/2" quarter-round pine moulding.

016.jpg

026.jpg

Some hand-mitred pieces to complete the front and back. This bottom section will be painted.

023.jpg

I found some 12" width red oak veneer sheets at the store. They are installed by using a hot iron to activate the pre-applied glue. Skeptical but with open mind I decided to try it. I placed a sheet of non-stick aluminum foil across the veneer in order to protect the wife's iron.

024.jpg

I'm not even believing I'm posting this photo. Would this be considered a power tool? The cotten setting produces 400 degrees F and I just made sure I concentrated my ironing efforts on the edges.

025.jpg

I have to wait 24 hours for the glue to set before trimming up the edges. I remain skeptical. I will be using a Danish oil to finish this piece. My concern is the possible reaction the adhesive has with the oil-based finish. We'll see.

017.jpg

Checking the look. The legs will be trimmed but by how much? There is a fine line between "airy" and "spindly".

028.jpg

Test fitting the woven cane facing. Trimmed the veneer and all seems well...so far.

029.jpg

Cut some trim pieces out of basswood and applied the veneer to them. Normally I would apply the veneer after installing the pieces. Woven cane speaker grill material that is different from the picture when I ordered it. This cane is woven with a black plastic mesh that gives it a much darker look. I think it looks alright and it is certainly stronger than the cane-only variety.

030.jpg

The trim pieces installed to form a lip around the inside edge. This provides a lot of extra support to the structure.

031.jpg

The lip also forms a ledge for the faceplate to rest up against. The faceplate is pushed up against the lip from behind by the installed case. The caning will be mounted to the faceplate using a spray adhesive.

032.jpg

60-grit sandpaper wrapped around a block to level out the face. First coat of natural Danish oil applied.

033.jpg

Veneer applied to face and trimmed. Second coat of Danish oil applied using 600-grit wet/dry sandpaper.

I should just quit now and call it a computer hidden in a speaker. :)

Something kinda like this....

034.jpg

The latest in clamp furniture. Ultimate adjustability. :hehe:

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

I broke down and put a vent in the top. It's made of solid red oak. Still need to do some work on the back end around the case opening. The finish needs some more gloss to it and I need to find a logo for the front grill. I'll call this 90% complete.

The wife likes the longer legs. I'm not sure so I'll just leave them this way for the time being.

043.jpg

044.jpg

I have a case badge from an original IBM PC I'm considering using. It might make for a "mo' fun" project. We'll see.

So I'm at about 85% completion. What do you think? Have I finally lost it? Does it make you want to order an Old Fashioned and smoke a cigarette?

Thanks for looking.

That's just awesome. Very original build, it resembles that desk quite well! I like your use of the wrench :D

frankly I am in awe of anyone that can make good looking stuff out of wood. mine always turns out like crap. thanks for sharing. :)

Amazing.:cool:

You should paint the back panel and/or add a custom wood panel for it also.

Great inspiration and wonderful execution. My favorite mod project in a while. Nicely done.

For a badge, it would be incredibly cool if you could track down a TV or stereo (HiFi) badge from the period.

PS - I hate to say it, but your wife is right about the legs. Any shorter and they'll lose the long, skinny proportion that was a trademark for that period.

In answer to the questions you posed on the Core77 site:

1. Do you find the length of the legs, or the use of woven cane in the front, an issue?

I like the long legs and the cane.

2. Danish modern should be teak, but does this red oak work?

Red oak works for me. I think any of the common hardwoods would work: oak, maple, cherry, walnut, birch, beech, etc.. With the right stain even poplar would work. Not sure about softwoods.

3. I want the design to be light and airy, but are the proportions too thin in the legs and tabletop?

Works for me.

4. How much will people complain about there not being a CD drive? (I don't use them anymore.)

I still use a DVD/CD drive for watching movies and listening to CD's. An external drive would be one possibility, though if I were building this I'd consider making the front panel openable: either making the cane pullout, or hinge mounted front panel. Another option would be hidden optical drive like the one on your Mission PC.

5. The emblem on the front is a big decision yet to be made. I have a case badge from an original IBM I'm considering using, but something classy from the period might be more appropriate.Any suggestions?

No suggestions.

... but where's the front-facing built-in bar cabinet? :) Do like. Will be interested to see how you handle external cable management.

... but where's the front-facing built-in bar cabinet? :) Do like. Will be interested to see how you handle external cable management.

Extremely tricky considering there is no computer equipment installed in it. :) But seriously, when has external cable management become a part of case modding? I would like to see some examples of other's setups that you admire.

For the record...I typically use a single HDMI cable for both video and audio, a power cord and everything else is cordless/wireless. Its all shoved up against a wall so I guess that would be management.

Very impressive!!!
I've tried starting a few wooden projects, but I simply can't get the look I want.

Coming from an uneducated perspective, I think it kinda looks like an amplified podium.

Regardless, I really like it.

Awesome craftsmanship. good work!

I still use a DVD/CD drive for watching movies and listening to CD's. An external drive would be one possibility, though if I were building this I'd consider making the front panel openable: either making the cane pullout, or hinge mounted front panel. Another option would be hidden optical drive like the one on your Mission PC.

I say use a humidor or an old rotary phone changed to a cd drive.

Actually if it was a phone you could use the buttons for power, reset, eject. Just a thought

Awesome craftsmanship. good work!

I say use a humidor or an old rotary phone changed to a cd drive.

Actually if it was a phone you could use the buttons for power, reset, eject. Just a thought

You had a great idea for the using a rotary phone.
But buttons for PC controls ? There are no buttons on a rotary phone, except office phones with buttons for reaching other extensions.

Correct, exactly like you see in mad men, which is what you are getting at.

Also you could use the phone for VOIP services like skype! Just a thought

Not the best picture

mad-men.jpg

Last edited:
That's a pretty good idea. I might just steal that. LOL

Here something along those same lines that I stumbled across a while back:

500x_iretrofone.jpg

Maybe an all-in-one external optical drive, USB hub, VoIP phone and iPhone dock. Hmmmm.... Maybe I should consider using a whiskey glass on top as a watercooling reservoir? Do they make bourbon-colored coolant dye?

Very nice!!

Thanks! I appreciate that.

At the end of the Gizmodo article they said "We'll update you when a finished model is available for viewing." They understand that I'm holding them to that statement. If you make microATX boards and want exposure on Gizmodo then PM me...soon.

So after that minor distraction I thought I would catch up on the work...

045.jpg

Cut a hole in the top by drilling a series of adjacent holes, hand sawing a rough opening and rasping out the remaining material. Because the legs are mounted at an angle I had to "level" out the upper leg ends so that they would set flat against the table bottom.

046.jpg

This is a floor vent made from solid red oak that I got from Lowes. So far, only the grill cloth has come from elsewhere. I had to remove its finish down to the bare wood and refinish it with the Danish oil. It is actually a better match than the photo shows. It remains loosely set for now.

047.jpg

The table top is a very thin piece of crappy plywood and warping was going to be an issue. To fix that I glued a laser-cut plank of solid maple to each end. The stripping is for additional support and to form pockets for the leg ends to rest in. The smudges and fingerprints are from my Danish oil work on the other side. All of this will be painted.

Thanks for looking.

I started the grill work and it was so much fun I didn't stop to photograph any of it...except this shot.

048.jpg

The grill consists of 92 pieces of laser-cut 1/4"-wide basswood of various depths. Gluing up long lengths of material only to cut much of it away is how I keep the structure square, parallel and somehwat sane. This photo shows most of the material removed from the outer two of the five "blocks".

049.jpg

050.jpg

The idea for the grill pattern came from a room-divider design I saw in two different places in the same day. I'm currently looking for paint that will help it blend in. Something in a nicotine-stained ivory-colored plastic will probably do.

054.jpg

Here's where the twin 140mm's go.

051.jpg

Any of the five blocks can be used for front panel duty. A slot-loaded optical drive fits perfectly.

052.jpg

The top vent does a nice job of hiding.

053.jpg

055.jpg

Some action photos of the Silverstone chassis being "interfaced".

Thanks for looking.

That looks great! Nicely done :)

As always...just awesome

Dang! This one has moved along rapidly. Great work as always Skip.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your comments.

059.jpg

Finsihed veneering the back edges that surround the internal case. Next, I completely dismantled the enclosure and sanded it down using 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and Danish oil. Set it aside to dry for a week and then applied several coats of semi-gloss brushing lacquer. Finished up by waxing the pieces with Johnson's paste wax using #00000 steel wool as an applicator. These were all new methods I was experimenting with. Reassembled the pieces.

056.jpg

Painted the grille with a latex paint I got from Lowes. The color is called Clarified Butter and it is suppose to look like nicotine-stained ivory. The final photos should do it better justice.

057.jpg

The front control panel starts taking shape. I designed the front grille so that a slot-loaded DVD will just barely fit within the rectangles. The face is black walnut. A few chrome buttons will finish this up.

058.jpg

Thanks for looking!

very nice. in previous postings the thatch on the front was crooked and i was going to suggest you straighten it in future posts if you hadn't, but that's very clever work. i've been enjoying watching this come to fruition.

This mod is absolutely amazing. I wasnt really liking the grill at first, but once you added the dividers that made the whole thing pop. The style is perfect, the proportions are great. Very, VERY well done. Can't wait to see this one complete.

Very nice :) I was always a fan of Mid-century style, Even more so "Skyscraper" or Machine-Ace art.

I'll be interested to see how the chrome knobs affect that black walnut face. Thus far, it's the only thing on this build I'm not completely in awe of.

I'm not sure I'd go with chrome for the knobs, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing them on the case. It may look awesome, but I feel like they're stand out and be too flashy for such an elegant case. We'll see though :)

Great job, man.
My wife, who thinks all pc's are ugly & stupid, is in love with your case. She would like to know when you are going to make more of them & when can she buy one...lol

*Stands and claps* This is a very nice mod. Please tell you have the matching desk

Back