Microsoft To OEMs: One Year Left For Windows 7

And only Windows 7 Pro, all the other versions are already discontinued.

They sold 8/8.1 for 4/3 years espectively... taking a big proverbial shit on Windows 8 in general. I still haven't moved a single machine to Windows 10, and have a mix of Windows 7, 8.1, and Linux.

Good luck with them moving corporate ecosystems to Windows 10 anytime soon. It shouldn't take as long as the XP migration but it will be a while.

Mircosoft controls our choice of Windows by setting life-cycle on each version for PC OEMs.

*smh*

Is Snapchat now owned by Microsoft? Because the comments link for that article leads here.

So basically, I will not be able to walk in to Best Buy and buy a Windows 7 Home Premium machine, not a problem. However, Windows 7 Pro based machines will be purchasable for a long while to come. They are making Window 7 Pro machines fully available also for corporations since they are fully aware that not everyone has upgraded even yet to that. (Better to have an older, more time proven OS in a large scale setting that something that is only 3 months old.)

I'm surprised Microsoft even has to make this announcement. Windows 10 is so well loved. After all, "Windows 10 is the fastest-selling version of Windows." The demand is so high, Microsoft doesn't know what to do with all of the support requests it gets asking how to upgrade from Windows 7/8.x. The only thing it can possibly do is change Windows 10 from an optional update to a recommended update.

And this probably doesn't apply to OEMs selling to business (you buy a laptop with a Windows 10 license with Windows 7 preinstalled).

I'm surprised Microsoft even has to make this announcement. Windows 10 is so well loved. After all, "Windows 10 is the fastest-selling version of Windows." The demand is so high, Microsoft doesn't know what to do with all of the support requests it gets asking how to upgrade from Windows 7/8.x. The only thing it can possibly do is change Windows 10 from an optional update to a recommended update.

And this probably doesn't apply to OEMs selling to business (you buy a laptop with a Windows 10 license with Windows 7 preinstalled).

I'll wait and see if Windows 10.1 redstone fixes everything because windows 10 now is a horrible disaster.

The drop and drag is one of the most common things people use and Windows 10 doesn't have it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/0ea16377-dfcf-4a28-9e38-c35f4113202b?auth=1

Come on XP had 7 good years, and Win7 (arguably the only decent successor to it) get 4?

Summabitches better let me reinstall when I upgrade my computer

Good luck with them moving corporate ecosystems to Windows 10 anytime soon. It shouldn't take as long as the XP migration but it will be a while.

My company has gone to great lengths to block any type of file sharing, including Dropbox and OneDrive. Considering those are integral parts of Microsoft's new direction, I think there will be some push back from the large companies that would prefer not to expose data.

Come on XP had 7 good years, and Win7 (arguably the only decent successor to it) get 4?

Summabitches better let me reinstall when I upgrade my computer

o_0

XP was released in 01 and manufacturers stopped selling in 08 (7 years)
Win7 was released in 09 and manufacturers will stop selling in 2016 (7 years)

Mircosoft controls our choice of Windows by setting life-cycle on each version for PC OEMs.

*smh*

To be fair they support most of their stuff a lot longer than others. Ubuntu LTS versions are supported for 5 years for both desktop and server versions now. Windows 7 shipped 6 years ago and they are saying OEM's can install it for another year. It is then getting security updates until 2020.

MS needs to either start pushing business users off windows 7 where possible or extend the support.

I clearly didn't comprehend what was being said. Enterprises with Software Assurance won't be affected by this. They can still install Windows 7 all they want. Poor self employed, small businesses and entrepreneurs who rely on getting their Windows licenses with their laptops.

The Windows Store can now distribute Win32 apps and there are some pretty big apps on the way like the next Tomb Raider game.
Mac OS X did it first (before Windows). And look how well the Mac OS X App Store does in comparison to the iOS App Store.

Most PC gamers will probably still buy their games from their game store of choice (probably Steam). I'm sure we're about to see all the big companies sell their Windows applications (the much lauded by heatlesssun Windows ecosystem) on the Windows Store. Not just a whole lot of apps that sound like premium apps you would buy on Apple's App Store, which approximate to varying degrees of success, their functionality.

I clearly didn't comprehend what was being said. Enterprises with Software Assurance won't be affected by this. They can still install Windows 7 all they want. Poor self employed, small businesses and entrepreneurs who rely on getting their Windows licenses with their laptops.

This means I'll have to create new images using the enterprise version, instead of just using Pro, and then track down all the extra drivers needed. Not too big of a deal when I'm rolling out a dozen systems, but it's a real waste of time when it is only 1 unique system.

Based on what Microsoft has done with the Pro version of Windows 10, I might have no choice but to use the enterprise version if/when we decide to upgrade.

I'll wait and see if Windows 10.1 redstone fixes everything because windows 10 now is a horrible disaster.

The drop and drag is one of the most common things people use and Windows 10 doesn't have it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/0ea16377-dfcf-4a28-9e38-c35f4113202b?auth=1

What are you talking about? I read that thread and it makes zero sense because I have no issues with drag and drop on any of the 100's of systems I have worked on since Windows 10 was released. Not once, not ever.

What are you talking about? I read that thread and it makes zero sense because I have no issues with drag and drop on any of the 100's of systems I have worked on since Windows 10 was released. Not once, not ever.

lol no clue... one point I thought they were talking about IE, then another the start menu?

I am not a big drag and drop person but I highly doubt they disabled it.

Just the other day my jaw dropped when I saw a website post that windows disabled reg files so you can no longer use them to add items to registry... WTF!!!! this is news and I work in the registry practical every day.

My company has gone to great lengths to block any type of file sharing, including Dropbox and OneDrive. Considering those are integral parts of Microsoft's new direction, I think there will be some push back from the large companies that would prefer not to expose data.

Exactly this. I do not see my company having a major rollout to win 8 or 10 anytime soon.

Screw windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10
The only reason MS is pushing 10 so hard is because of all the spying they want to do.
MS is continuing to piss off and piss on their customer base.
I refuse to install Windows 10 even if I get it for free as an upgrade from Windows 7 ultimate.
I'd rather install some Linux distro than let Windows 10 anywhere near my system.

If Windows 10 can't pass security and compliance audits from our clients and the federal government, we'll be switching to something else. Already researching moving our applications off Windows.

Back