Microsoft To Google: Check Your Facts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yesterday, Google's Chief Legal Officer slammed Microsoft and others for using bogus patent claims to gang up on Google. Come to find out, Microsoft had actually invited Google to bid jointly on the patents in question but Google said no. :eek: Thanks to [H] forum member Xrave for the heads up!

Google says we bought Novell patents to keep them from Google. Really? We asked them to bid jointly with us. They said no. Free advice for David Drummond – next time check with Kent Walker before you blog. :)

Last edited:
That tweet is devoid of any pertinent context though... Google at first joined in *with* Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, etc to bid on patents. However, the price for the list of patents (most of which are dubious to begin with) got to be more than they were willing to pay.

Google said "No, thanks." and stopped bidding. Notice Microsoft isn't saying anything publicly about their IP rights? They're just going through the legal system and attempting to soak out licensing fees, rather than making the Windows 7 phone... you know, actually good.

That tweet is devoid of any pertinent context though... Google at first joined in *with* Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, etc to bid on patents. However, the price for the list of patents (most of which are dubious to begin with) got to be more than they were willing to pay.

Google said "No, thanks." and stopped bidding. Notice Microsoft isn't saying anything publicly about their IP rights? They're just going through the legal system and attempting to soak out licensing fees, rather than making the Windows 7 phone... you know, actually good.

Uhhh so you are aware Mango is coming out this September? It fixes pretty much 95% of the issues that has been of concern to those WP7 users. And I am currently a WP7 user myself too with my LG Quantum.

Brad Smith became a honorary member of the slap-a-hoe tribe with that one :D

I've used blackberries, iphones and androids... I currently do not own a Win7 phone, but 3 guys in my office do.

Maybe Mango will be the answer to all of Microsoft's mobile problems... until then, gl hf with that.

Mango...what a terrible choice of name. All I see is that SNL skit where Mango makes all the straight stars turn gay...the one with Garth Brooks is one of my all time favorite skits.

If only David had access to some sort of "search engine" in order to make sure he had the most accurate information.

Mango...what a terrible choice of name. All I see is that SNL skit where Mango makes all the straight stars turn gay...the one with Garth Brooks is one of my all time favorite skits.

When everyone else thinks of mango, they think of a tasty sweet fruit.

You hear mango and think of a fictitious gay man? Sounds like a personal problem.

Just sayin'

Oh damn. That's in the third degree!

I feel sorry for Google's Chief Legal Officer. He's in the position to have had access to that information, but no one ever told him! Time for humble pie.

They're just going through the legal system and attempting to soak out licensing fees, rather than making the Windows 7 phone... you know, actually good.

Maybe you should check the user satisfaction rate of WP7 devices. Even without Mango, users are rating there WP7 phones higher then Android or even iPhone. Say what you want about WP7, but the fact is that people who actually HAVE and USE them LOVE them. I put it on my HD2 for a bit and even in its buggy state, it was LIGHT YEARS better then Android, on the same hardware!

@Gibbage - more power to you then, enjoy your WP7. :) Time will tell, but that 2% market share isn't all that promising at the moment.

While the sale aren't there Windows Phone is actually very good.

Well,

I guess Goggle can stand on the higher ground that none of these lawsuits should have any merit.

Maybe the con shady company that bought them has some rules such as if everyone votes to go for Google to pay license fees to one of the partner's in the con shady company, they would have to do it.

All this will come out in any court cases.

Cheers!

Until its windows 7 on a phone, instead of windows phone 7, it'll be a flop because the competition does everything much better. Smart money is not on WP7

Until its windows 7 on a phone, instead of windows phone 7, it'll be a flop because the competition does everything much better. Smart money is not on WP7

Could be coming sooner than you think as Windows 8 is on ARM. And naw, Android and iOS don't do everything much better. The way messaging and social networking is done on Windows Phone is as good as anything out there with the Mango release. The only difference is number of apps and Windows Phone is getting there, there should be 50,000 by the end of the year, that's obviously well short of Android and iOS but more than enough for most phone users, most of the important ones will be there by the end of the year.

shaw took that screenshot in mspaint on windows 98.

i love greenshot and its free

Update on the Google Blog post that started the brouhaha. Highlights are mine.

UPDATE August 4, 2011 - 12:25pm PT

It's not surprising that Microsoft would want to divert attention by pushing a false "gotcha!" while failing to address the substance of the issues we raised. If you think about it, it's obvious why we turned down Microsoft’s offer. Microsoft's objective has been to keep from Google and Android device-makers any patents that might be used to defend against their attacks.

A joint acquisition of the Novell patents that gave all parties a license would have eliminated any protection these patents could offer to Android against attacks from Microsoft and its bidding partners.

Making sure that we would be unable to assert these patents to defend Android — and having us pay for the privilege — must have seemed like an ingenious strategy to them. We didn't fall for it.

Posted by David Drummond, Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer

"It'll be a flop" sounds as if the product is not out yet when it is. Obviously you've not followed WP7 news much. The acquisition of Skype and Nokia's cell division (they didn't acquire it but are paying for their part in developing WP7) to support WP7 is a big thing especially for the European market. Especially when the user experience is rated much higher on the WP7 compared to either iOS or Android.

I'm no lawyer, but Google's update seems not to make sense. If they all had a license on the same patents, how would Microsoft and it's partners (of which Google would be one at that point) come after Google for using that same patent?

"It'll be a flop" sounds as if the product is not out yet when it is. Obviously you've not followed WP7 news much.

The latest news:
Microsoft's Smartphone Share Declines Again

"Microsoft saw its smartphone market share decline in the three-month period ending in June, according to research firm comScore.

Specifically, the company saw its share decline from 7.5 percent to 5.8 percent, over a period when both archrivals Google and Apple experienced gains. "

Microsofts problem is it's brand image, unfortunately. And I just don't see them getting over it. Android and Apple are "cool", and I don't see Microsoft getting that image in my lifetime. It would really have to come out with something absolutely, totally game changing to get the kind of respect in the mobile market that Android/Apple have. Coming out with something incrementally better than either just won't cut it for them, unfair as it is.

The latest news:

"Microsoft saw its smartphone market share decline in the three-month period ending in June, according to research firm comScore.

Specifically, the company saw its share decline from 7.5 percent to 5.8 percent, over a period when both archrivals Google and Apple experienced gains. "
That figure groups Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7 together, making it fairly worthless for determining how successful Windows Phone 7 is by itself.

What you're seeing there could simply be Windows Mobile dropping off faster than Windows Phone 7 gains.

When everyone else thinks of mango, they think of a tasty sweet fruit.

You hear mango and think of a fictitious gay man? Sounds like a personal problem.

Just sayin'

haha seriously I had forgotten about those skit until he mentioned that.

@Gibbage - more power to you then, enjoy your WP7. :) Time will tell, but that 2% market share isn't all that promising at the moment.

It'll grow, I'm jumping from the android ship as soon as I can. I'll keep my droid for other uses, HTPC remote, but for a phone I need something that works consistently and smoothly.

It'll grow, I'm jumping from the android ship as soon as I can. I'll keep my droid for other uses, HTPC remote, but for a phone I need something that works consistently and smoothly.

The main problem with Windows Phone is that there are simply not enough devices, that's about to change. Microsoft really just got lazy here, they had smart phones long before Apple and Google and just NEVER did anything with Windows Mobile. But I think it's safe to say they aren't going anywhere and will just keep at it until they have a hit. Love my HTC Arrive running the Mango beta, its just so smooth and stable and clean.

The latest news:

Another survey I saw earlier this week showed that Windows market share increased to 9%. The fact is that Windows Phone 7 is like the Xbox was. WP7 will jump, also in part because of the OEM's movement away from Android due to IP issues and new licensing costs. Why do they need to develop a phone OS and pay fees when they could just use WP7 and just pay a small fee, have reduced software development costs and legal protection. Windows 8 will also change the tablet arena.

My next phone will be a windows phone too. I like android don't get me wrong, it just has problems. I refuse to get stuck in the idevice trap, if I ever want to switch devices I would like stuff to transfer over even if I don't want to buy from the same company so Apple is out.

I'm no lawyer, but Google's update seems not to make sense. If they all had a license on the same patents, how would Microsoft and it's partners (of which Google would be one at that point) come after Google for using that same patent?
What he probably means is that Google couldn't use these patents as a form of "mutually assured destruction" against the other patents that Microsoft and others are threatening handset makers with.

To give some more background, the crappy-ass state of patents today means that the best defense against being sued/threatened by a patent troll is to threaten back with your own patents in a "if you launch your missiles, I'll launch mine" sort of way.

So Google refused to join their patent protection racket? Nice of Microsoft to admit their motives, I guess.

I still don't see how Google is in the wrong from a moral standpoint.

I've used blackberries, iphones and androids... I currently do not own a Win7 phone, but 3 guys in my office do.

Maybe Mango will be the answer to all of Microsoft's mobile problems... until then, gl hf with that.

I have yet to see a W7 in the wild!!!

I have yet to see a W7 in the wild!!!

I've seen a couple. Again the BIG problem now is simply not enough devices and the most of the current ones are kind of plain jane. The OS is is REALLY good it needs hardware and now to run on. I do think the Nokia deal will be a nice shot in the arm provided that Microsoft is aggressive. Do a coupling deal like the buy a PC get a free phone are some kind of discount.

That email really isn't saying much. You don't know which patents they are even talking about. In addition the fact that it's less than formal doesn't really give much credence.

You would have to go back and look at MS, Apple and few others acquisition of Linux patents. Then we would have to know precisely what exactly the deal was, which we don't. Without knowing that we really don't know what MS was offering. To my knowledge the consortium that MS created wasn't supposed to be given controlling access of the Linux patents that Novell owned. But apparently something changed.

Back