Microsoft Surface Preorders Sell Out In Under 24hrs

The seems to be for the consumer preview and specifically the windows store applications.

Please note that this agreement allows us to remove applications from your Windows 8 Consumer Preview enabled device in certain circumstances. See the "Can Microsoft remove apps or data from my device?" section below for more details.

Can Microsoft remove apps or data from my device? We may change or discontinue certain apps or content offered in the Windows Store at any time, for any reason. Sometimes, we do so to respond to legal or contractual requirements. In cases where your security is at risk, or where we’re required to do so for legal reasons, you may not be able to run apps or access content that you previously acquired or purchased a license for. In cases where we remove a paid app from your Windows 8 Consumer Preview device not at your direction, we may refund to you the amount you paid for the license. Some apps may also stop working if you update or change your Windows 8 Consumer Preview device, or if you attempt to use those apps on a Windows 8 Consumer Preview device with different features or processor type. You are responsible for backing up the data that you store in apps that you acquire via the Windows Store, including content you upload using those apps. If the Windows Store, an app, or any content is changed or discontinued, your data could be deleted or you may not be able to retrieve data you have stored. We have no obligation to return data to you. If sign in information or other data is stored with an expiration date, we may also delete the data as of that date.

Kinda like when SONY released the PS3 and Vita

"SOLD OUT IN LESS THEN FOUR HOURS!"

Turns out they released less systems on launch day, numbers so low some small rural cities have bigger populations then systems they sold

"We reserve the right to uninstall any applications from your windows 8 device whenever we want"

Microsoft, go see sony and the whole thing over the PS3 hacking, they'll tell you that the law doesn't look too kindly on companies that try to tell consumers what to do with their products

Even the 7th circuit clown court, the most corrupt court in america couldn't save sony, cause the law still stands, once you buy something, you own it, and can do whatever you want to it.

Point be known that apple AND google have these same EULA clauses in its terms of service, but has never, ever acted on them because it would tank the company in lawsuits, then again, 99.999999999% of EULA's are not legally binding.

To everyone saying there have been no previews or hands on, you all fail at internet.

posted JUNE 18th 2012 8:43PM:
It's impossible to weigh in on Surface when we only handled one of the two tablets, and when each hands-on opportunity amounted to a Supermarket Sweep-style tour of various demo areas. Still, even after some brief handling, we feel impressed, almost sobered by what Microsoft's managed to produce after vowing to take the Windows 8 hardware-software package into its own hands. Surface for Windows RT is well-made, polished, durable and carefully engineered. And yes, that's sobering news: Microsoft's own OEM partners, everyone from ASUS to Acer to HP, should feel a tinge of defensiveness. If Redmond's mission until now has been to showcase all the possible form factors for Windows 8, it may have just taken a step in the opposite direction by upstaging everybody else.

Yesterday:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/microsoft-reportedly-building-up-to-5-million-surface-tablets/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/microsoft-surface-behind-the-scenes/

HANDS ON:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/hands-on-with-microsoft-surface-for-windows-rt/

I remember when Microsoft Surface was the LCD table they were innovating. Man I miss the days when Microsoft innovated instead of just copying whatever was popular :(.

OxXyFnAb6us.jpg

So people should blinding listen to you bash MS by saying BS on something you never had any intention of buying, never used, and never touched? Yeah..i'm angry about something; the shear BS of your posts. ;)

No one here can claim to have a hands on or in dept opinion of a product that is of yet unreleased. So we are left to play around with the information and experience we have available. Having used Metro applications and viewed the store (and having similar tablet devices available), it's a whole load of meh, and there isn't anything to suggest otherwise. I'm not adversed to buying things, just when there isn't any reason to want one, it would be a little silly to.

Perhaps you should enter with an open mind, and only judge a product after you had proper utilities to evaluate it first.

It's not for a lack of open mind that I don't see this as a good product. Just every indicator at this moment points to it not being. Perhaps if the store becomes worthwhile, and the devices have some groundbreaking features the opinion will change.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this fact. Hardforum doesn't consist of all the people in our nation. Because only 3 people said they want it on hardforum, let alone just in this thread. I doubt that means that it's an undesirable product.

But I don't exist merely on here either. I know a load of normal people too, 90% of which could nowhere near be described as tech savy... Those same people have spoken about iPhones, the Wii and Kinect and stuff like that...but discussions of Windows RT tablets have yet been suspiciously absent. :p

I guess the worlds population wasn't so piss stupid in 2002 and realized a tablet is useless

Fast fowards to 2010, fancy pictures and something anybody can use but nobody can find a good use for became super huge.

As Samuel Jackson put it "Dat's h technology, its technology so fucking simple even a h can use it" (FYI I AM NOT RACIST, just quoting The Boondocks, this turns into a racist talk/debate even though I'm not a forum mod I will do my best to bust some heads)

No one here can claim to have a hands on or in dept opinion of a product that is of yet unreleased. So we are left to play around with the information and experience we have available. Having used Metro applications and viewed the store (and having similar tablet devices available), it's a whole load of meh, and there isn't anything to suggest otherwise. I'm not adversed to buying things, just when there isn't any reason to want one, it would be a little silly to.

It's not for a lack of open mind that I don't see this as a good product. Just every indicator at this moment points to it not being. Perhaps if the store becomes worthwhile, and the devices have some groundbreaking features the opinion will change.

But I don't exist merely on here either. I know a load of normal people too, 90% of which could nowhere near be described as tech savy... Those same people have spoken about iPhones, the Wii and Kinect and stuff like that...but discussions of Windows RT tablets have yet been suspiciously absent. :p

So basically all you have is speculation. And you're generalizing the world based on your little corner of it. Got ya.

OK, those links I posted above, are just for you.
Geez, calm down.

Also for my above Boondocks quote, my room mate is african american, been friends for over 25 years, and we watch Boondocks together, he's the one that got me hooked on it.

He actually had to push me to watch The Boondocks, the first time I saw it all the racial slurs (I grew up in a very, very, VERY modern family) made me stop watching it. I've actually gotten into fistfights with people in public over using the racial slur insult word cause I find it upsetting (Once arrested) cause I hate things that propagate racial inequality

Anyways, I found the show was very well written (I like the one where Huey finds religion, was actually quite powerful, cause as logic as we all are we tend to all pray for a miracle when things are at their bleakest, and Huey is flat out the most logical person I've ever seen on a TV show, he's like a Spock that know's Kung-Fu) and "Blah blah blah you're just saying all this cause you don't wanna sound racist!" etc, but I was just quoting the TV show.

Actually if there is one thing I hate about the show, its Uncle Rukkus (Ruckus?), he's rather insulting always, he's the only character I find pushes my buttons cause he's so callus, I think he's a throwback to the 1900's thinking (?) but its still insulting.

I love Ed Rothschild Wuncler, Sr, mostly because he's voiced by Edward Asner, who is probably one of the most -EVIL- sounding people on the planet when he wants to, so him playing the evil manipulating iconic ruthless businessman is perfect.

Back to Samuel Jackson, he's always amazing, but I with they would raise his char's IQ a few points, his script varies all over the place, when playing Gin Rummy sometimes he says some outright amazingly intelligent stuff, then the next moment does something outright incredibly stupid, I could never figure out why they planted the bomb at the end of Season 3, I don't understand the writing, personally it seemed like they were like "End this season on a cliff hanger, get a season 4"

And Ed Sr got kidnapped, since he's one of my favorite characters I DO want to see what happens when season 4 comes out

Also, Grandpa is my favorite character on the show, hands down, Huey may be the voice of reason, but Grandpa is the voice of experience.

Sorry for all the talk about The Boondocks, but, go watch The Boondocks

FAVORITE episode is the Martin Luthor King episode, my friend was like "Just wait, just wait, don't read about it, just wait till it comes on TV"

If you are going to watch one single episode of the show, watch that one, I think its called "The King Returns"

People should be literally embarrassed and ashamed they are pre-ordering a product that does not have a single review and is from a company that has a really bad track record.

And if Microsoft has been working on this before the Ipad they are a joke....the hardware version of DA2, DNF and Daikatana.

Microsoft dares not have an intellectual debate about how bad their product is.

So basically all you have is speculation. And you're generalizing the world based on your little corner of it. Got ya.

All anyone has is speculation based on what we know now. Which isn't anything great.

OK, those links I posted above, are just for you.
Geez, calm down.

I like me when i'm angry... :confused:

"I saw it for 5 minutes and liked it" doesn't count. He doesn't mention software at all, just he tried to load stuff and it loaded. :p

I'd already pre-ordered the Samsung Ativ 700 Pro so I couldn't really justify $2k in tablets to the wife at this time and probably will hold out for the Surface Pro but yeah, this really looks like sexy device. And I'd like an ARM device to have for app development testing so I may have to sneak one of these guys into the house.

I'd already pre-ordered the Samsung Ativ 700 Pro so I couldn't really justify $2k in tablets to the wife at this time and probably will hold out for the Surface Pro but yeah, this really looks like sexy device. And I'd like an ARM device to have for app development testing so I may have to sneak one of these guys into the house.

But yeah, your would say that. :p

I'm already in for one...2 of my coworkers are in as well. Keep bashing MS. I guess bitching about Apple is no longer fun so we need something new to make our pathetically small lives feel like they are worth something.

To be fair, everyone has always bashed MS. ;)

Who exactly is buying them...i've not even seen anyone say they want one... it's not exactly got the general public all over it, yet they sold out...it's either marketing BS (likely) or BS.
When something new comes out, especially in technology and computing, there will always be the early adopter market. MS' pricing strategy here is most like the skimming approach: basically start with the price highest that a customer is willing to pay and when that market segment demand is satisfied, lower the price to attract the price-sensitive buyers. I don't expect the $500 price for the RT tablet to stay there after the Christmas season ends especially since Spring is the period when Apple introduces the iPad refresh.

I don't get why one would buy one. I can get a relatively inexpensive i3 based laptop , toss in 8gb ram and at least a 128gb SSD for less than the price of the cheapest surface.

I suppose I could say the same for almost any tablet, but with the keyboard add-on, it really seems like they were aiming to take some of the laptop market share.

I don't get why one would buy one. I can get a relatively inexpensive i3 based laptop , toss in 8gb ram and at least a 128gb SSD for less than the price of the cheapest surface.

I suppose I could say the same for almost any tablet, but with the keyboard add-on, it really seems like they were aiming to take some of the laptop market share.

Because most i3/i5 laptops $500ish with an aftermarket 128GB SSD are bulky and have crap build quality and thermals (aka noise).

I want a Surface RT, but everything is relative to price. $599 with touch cover is too steep for me. If they priced it $499 with cover, I'd think it over. $399 with touch cover would be an instant buy.

The Surface Pro is kind of iffy too. 90 days after Windows 8 RTM puts it at around the Feb 2013 timeframe. Which is literally months away from the Haswell launch. I'd rather just wait for a Haswell based Surface.

Just as others would indiscriminately call everything about Windows 8/RT and those devices garbage having no experience with either.;)

Been using it since the dev preview. ;)

The surface RT is overpriced and can barely trade blows with the ipad2, which has been out 18 months. Oh and I was thinking of getting one of these for my mother, but at this price there's better options.

A microsoft windows pc inside a tablet is a very cool idea... just not sure its worth the price.

All anyone has is speculation based on what we know now. Which isn't anything great.

I like me when i'm angry... :confused:

"I saw it for 5 minutes and liked it" doesn't count. He doesn't mention software at all, just he tried to load stuff and it loaded. :p

Sure, all everybody has is speculation, but not everybody is calling it a failure without even seen one, let alone used one.

There are ads for the Surface all over the NY subway system. Microsoft has gone full force with hyping up the tablet which is likely the reason for the pre-orders. I'm sure they've done the same in other cities.

Who exactly is buying them...i've not even seen anyone say they want one... it's not exactly got the general public all over it, yet they sold out...it's either marketing BS (likely) or BS.

just like seeing all the iPads out in the wild

It is funny that Microsoft uses the term "sales" when referring to the Surface, considering that you don't, in fact, acquire the attributes that one usually associates with ownership of something. For example, Microsoft and only Microsoft dictates what you can and cannot install on what is supposedly "your" Surface. Microsoft can also remotely remove software, without your consent.

sure you are not thinking of Apple?

Been using it since the dev preview. ;)

The surface RT is overpriced and can barely trade blows with the ipad2, which has been out 18 months. Oh and I was thinking of getting one of these for my mother, but at this price there's better options.

Office, native Windows file system support, memory slot, HDMI out, USB. unique keyboard cover and integrated kickstand with a magnesium case. This don't look like a bad device and may very well be well liked.

I could give two shits about platform if it can run office and visio natively it's worth that. I'm sure they will only release visio on the pro version though.

I could give two shits about platform if it can run office and visio natively it's worth that. I'm sure they will only release visio on the pro version though.

There is no Visio in the Office RT Suite. But Visio 2013 will run on any x86 tablet. Visio 2013 really needs a pen to work effectively on a tablet even though supports touch I think.

Considering you can run Office on the RT, I don't see anything preventing them from making Visio available at the Windows Store (actually, it would make sense to have it available).

There is no Visio in the Office RT Suite. But Visio 2013 will run on any x86 tablet. Visio 2013 really needs a pen to work effectively on a tablet even though supports touch I think.

Well, I don't see why they wouldn't make it available when Office 2013 is on sale on the Windows Store, next year. I see many businesses buying the RT (and seems that any corporation that has a Office commercial license can use the Office in RT, according to: http://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-get-an-office-rt-commercial-license)

This could be the work of idiot resellers, who thought "this is the next big seller" and bought several just to resell at Christmas for a profit. Not realizing, of course, that other OEM's will be offering practically the same device at likely a lower pricepoint.

Office, native Windows file system support, memory slot, HDMI out, USB. unique keyboard cover and integrated kickstand with a magnesium case. This don't look like a bad device and may very well be well liked.

Precisely.
Exact reason I returned the iPad 3 last week. Android tablets have better connectivity. And they all suck. Just the spec sheet alone looks better than any tablet currently on the market, but no it can't be, its MS, it cant be good..... :rolleyes:

I went through 4 different tablets this year. All disappointing, the latest victim, the iPad. This product is obviously not for some of you lot.

It's all based on your use. For me, I'd like a really nice mobile laptop. I don't need the keyboard while I'm mobile, so simply having a tablet is wonderful. Then when I'm finally at a stop point, I'd like to have a keyboard.

A Windows 8 tablet would work well for me. Currently I have an HP TM2T and an Acer A500 tablet. The TM2T is heavy and cumbersome. I hate using it in airports, planes, trains, etc. All I'm looking to do during then is watch videos, check emails, and surf the web. I really have zero use for the keyboard during those times. So I end up using my A500, but Android is super limiting. Little support for the multiple different video formats out there and half the video players for Android suck huge donkey nuts. I end up having to convert majority of files, as either the format isn't supported, the tablet isn't strong enough to play some 720p or 1080p files, or the video's resolution ends up looking wonky on the tablet.

When I finally hit my endpoint, I pull out my TM2T and use that. It's a regular Windows laptop/tablet. Got my Office on there, video converter software, some old ass games, and VMware. I use to run Win2k8 Server with Hyper-V, but IE is hella limited on a server. Ya ya, I could use another browser, but I personally have zero issues with IE.

Now the price of the TM2T and the Android tablet is well over that of a single Windows 8 tablet. How do I know, without actually knowing the price of the Windows 8 tablet? Cause my TM2T cost me $1200 and my Android tablet was $500 (the prices I bought them for back in Dec 2009 for the TM2T and Aug 2011 for the A500).

Right now I'm looking to upgrade and the Acer W700 looks like it'll easily replace both my TM2T and A500. Acer looks to price it at $800 and higher, depending on models. But it's essentially Ultrabook specs in a tablet.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011...ous-quality-time-with-a-windows-8-tablet.html

The only thing I'm concerned about is the location of the mini-HDMI port and usb port. I'd like to be able to connect a 2nd screen to it and also an external hdd or optical drive, when it's docked. 1080p on an 11.6" screen is gotta be super tiny.

Think about the only issue that'd annoy me is the battery life. Probably won't be comparable to either my TM2T (I have 2 batteries for it and these Win8 tablets won't have user replaceable batteries) or A500 (it's an Arm proc, so it'll easily waste an i5 in battery life).

Precisely.
Exact reason I returned the iPad 3 last week. Android tablets have better connectivity. And they all suck. Just the spec sheet alone looks better than any tablet currently on the market, but no it can't be, its MS, it cant be good..... :rolleyes:

I went through 4 different tablets this year. All disappointing, the latest victim, the iPad. This product is obviously not for some of you lot.

The problem with the Arm based tablets is well...they're Arm based tablets. They work for media consumption, but that's about where it ends. I don't imagine the Surface RT being any different, unless MS puts out everything they make and other software developers do the same (which I doubt they will).

Now the Intel based Surface. That's a whole different beast. I could definitely do that one, depending on the accessories for it. So far, Acer W700 looks like a better deal. They look like they'll bundle a nice dock and wireless keyboard with it. That jelly keyboard/screen cover thing from MS. While that's a pretty ingenious design, I fucking hate those jelly keyboards. I might as well just type with the onscreen keyboard. Probably be just as fast on that.

Back