Microsoft Supports New USB Standard

I've read the spec. And based upon what i've read here, anybody with bitches hasn't read the spec. And no, it isn't going to cost a ton..there is nothing complicated about what they are doing in term of silicon. Everything i've been reading on this (even when it was in draft) seems to support (gear towards) Kiosk type setups where there are multiple appliances attached ot the comnputer that also need power.

Considering the companies that are part of this, the purpose to allow you to charge your smartphone a little quicker on your PC. In the short run, it saves you a cable. I guess in the long run, it herds you into connecting your phone to a Microsoft PC and they are hoping for some forced synergy that anchors you to a MS PC.

We're talking about the real consequences of coping with this much potential additional power requirement and not MS' business plan.

Who really cares about the increased power requirement?

The device will be powered one way or the other. If you can't afford the bill turn it off or don't buy it.

If you can't afford the price of the upgrade.. welll

So. With the 12v and 20v profiles... Microsoft basically decided to reinvent the wheel.

YP5qX.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_USB

The implementation allows a choice of three different voltages, providing power at 5 V (30 W), 12 V (72 W), or 24 V (144 W). The three voltages are able to operate at up to 6 A. USB 1.0 and 2.0 supplies 5 V at up to 0.5 A (2.5 W).[6] USB 3.0 supplies 5 V at up to 0.9 A (4.5 W).[7]

Existing spec does more. Which makes the new spec COMPLETELY FUCKING POINTLESS.

1) The Powered USB spec is not endorsed by the USB-IF.
2) The Powered USB spec is patent encumbered by IBM and they charge royalties.
3) The Powered USB spec requires a second connector and specialized bulky cables.

USB PD doesn't have any of these limitations. It works with standard USB cables and more importantly, works with micro USB cables. Also, Microsoft didn't create this standard.

1) The Powered USB spec is not endorsed by the USB-IF.
2) The Powered USB spec is patent encumbered by IBM and they charge royalties.
3) The Powered USB spec requires a second connector and specialized bulky cables.

USB PD doesn't have any of these limitations. It works with standard USB cables and more importantly, works with micro USB cables. Also, Microsoft didn't create this standard.

Stop being rational and logical. It doesn't work well for front page news posts!

So. With the 12v and 20v profiles... Microsoft basically decided to reinvent the wheel.

Existing spec does more. Which makes the new spec COMPLETELY FUCKING POINTLESS.

siliconnerd covered it...did you even read the spec sheet or the wikipedia article that you yourself linked? Did you even read the original post that said Microsoft is supporting a USB spec, not that they made a new spec?

20A? I can see this working for external monitors as well. Phones would never be able to use the extra amperage (over 10 at least). Faster you charge, more heat. An iPhone already runs warm, what will it do 20x faster charging.

no. unfortunately you are wrong about everything in this thread. you need to spend some personal development time.

no. unfortunately you are wrong about everything in this thread. you need to spend some personal development time.

Obvious troll is obvious. Go back to the world where power can be "shot" out of plugs.

Back