Microsoft Releases More Diversity Stats, And They Aren’t Pretty

Honestly surprised that hindu percent isn't higher, considering most of the it sector and jobs have been moved to Indian the past decade

Have you been arrested? Anyone garnish your wages? No? Then no one really has treated you like your guilty of anything.

False. Though I can understand why some would prefer whites ignore the public dialog that allows race-baiters to maintain their control.

If you are in the middle of North Dakota or any other state that's predominately white no one is going to brand you anything.... much less a racist.

Sounds great for the folks who live in North Dakota, but what about those who actually live in populated states?

That doesn’t happen either and if it were all people are asking for is that you treat all situations equally. You can't have 100 white people pointing guns at cops and every one live yet have some black guy running away from a cop with no weapon and get blown away. It's that simple. If you can't resist arrest then you can't resist arrest period and the outcomes should generally be the same. But they are not and that's the problem people in Ferguson are highlighting.

Even if their are systemic problems with the police, it's really a microcosm of the issue as a whole. All a white cop can do on an individual level is not be racist as an individual. They can't control what other cops do. Yet you end up with all white cops labeleled as racist because people come up with bullshit like "You can't have 100 white people pointing guns at cops and every one live yet have some black guy running away from a cop with no weapon and get blown away. It's that simple.", basically just making shit up that fits their narrative, or using isolated examples without context, and acting like it applies in all cases.

Well that's just factually accurate. It's seems to me that what you are describing as "white guilt" really is just your desire to pretend racism doesn't exist and any effect that it may have on any one should be ignored, which is in itself ironic. On one hand you want one group to take responsibility yet you want the absolve the other and call it "equal".

No, I'm saying that I only have control over my own actions, and thus, my own actions are all that I feel I should be held responsible for. I can't control what happened decades if not centuries before I was born. You claim that I want to "absolve" responsibility. In order for one to be absolved of responsibility, they first have to be held responsible for something. Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on exactly what you feel white people today are responsible for?

I'm not describing "white guilt", because again, I don't feel guilty of anything. Seems that for some on here, differentiating between others treating someone guilty and that person themselves feeling guilty is too complicated for them. There are plenty of times when someone is accused of something that they didn't do, where they are treated as if they are guilty, but it certainly doesn't mean they feel guilty.

Not sure if troll or just terrible person

Ye distant spires, ye antique towers
That crown the watery glade,
Where grateful Science still adores
Her Henry's holy shade;
And ye, that from the stately brow
Of Windsor's heights th' expanse below
Of grove, of lawn, of mead survey,
Whose turf, whose shade, whose flowers among
Wanders the hoary Thames along
His silver-winding way:

Ah, happy hills! ah, pleasing shade!
Ah, fields belov'd in vain!
Where once my careless childhood stray'd,
A stranger yet to pain!
I feel the gales that from ye blow
A momentary bliss bestow,
As waving fresh their gladsome wing,
My weary soul they seem to soothe,
And, redolent of joy and youth,
To breathe a second spring.

Say, Father Thames, for thou hast seen
Full many a sprightly race
Disporting on thy margin green
The paths of pleasure trace—
Who foremost now delight to cleave
With pliant arm, thy glassy wave?
The captive linnet which enthral?
What idle progeny succeed
To chase the rolling circle's speed
Or urge the flying ball?

While some on earnest business bent
Their murmuring labours ply
'Gainst graver hours that bring constraint
To sweet liberty:
Some bold adventurers disdain
The limits of their little reign
And unknown regions dare descry:
Still as they run they look behind,
They hear a voice in every wind,
And snatch a fearful joy.

Gay hope is theirs by fancy fed,
Less pleasing when possest;
The tear forgot as soon as shed,
The sunshine of the breast:
Theirs buxom health, of rosy hue,
Wild wit, invention ever new,
And lively cheer, of vigour born;
The thoughtless day, the easy night,
The spirits pure, the slumbers light
That fly th' approach of morn.

Alas! regardless of their doom,
The little victims play;
No sense have they of ills to come,
Nor care beyond to-day:
Yet see how all around 'em wait
The ministers of human fate
And black Misfortune's baleful train!
Ah, show them where in ambush stand,
To seize their prey, the murderous band!
Ah, tell them they are men!

These shall the fury Passions tear,
The vultures of the mind,
Disdainful Anger, pallid Fear,
And Shame that skulks behind;
Or pining Love shall waste their youth,
Or Jealousy with rankling tooth
That inly gnaws the secret heart,
And Envy wan, and faded Care,
Grim-visaged comfortless Despair,
And Sorrow's piercing dart.

Ambition this shall tempt to rise,
Then whirl the wretch from high
To bitter Scorn a sacrifice
And grinning Infamy.
The stings of Falsehood those shall try,
And hard Unkindness' alter'd eye,
That mocks the tear it forced to flow;
And keen Remorse with blood defil'd,
And moody Madness laughing wild
Amid severest woe.

Lo, in the vale of years beneath
A griesly troop are seen,
The painful family of Death,
More hideous than their queen:
This racks the joints, this fires the veins,
That every labouring sinew strains,
Those in the deeper vitals rage;
Lo! Poverty, to fill the band
That numbs the soul with icy hand,
And slow-consuming Age.

To each his sufferings: all are men,
Condemn'd alike to groan—
The tender for another's pain,
Th' unfeeling for his own.
Yet, ah! why should they know their fate,
Since sorrow never comes too late,
And happiness too swiftly flies?
Thought would destroy their Paradise.
No more;—where ignorance is bliss,
'Tis folly to be wise.

First off God bless that poor young man and his family, what a shame, how sad the lose of a life.

That kid was If I remember right, 5ft10 and 175 pounds, that toy gun was a BB gun that looked like a real gun. There was no orange paint on the muzzle like there is supposed to be. The kid was pointing that gun at people walking by.
Where the heck are this kids parents and why do they think it is a good thing for this kid to have that BB gun, and be pointing it at people? Blame the mother and father for this one.

So now the police have to wait to be shot at first to defend them selves?
How the heck can anyone tell how old he was or of the gun was not real?
Being a Police officer is just a job and they have every right to go home to their families at the end of the day.

Yeah, as it isn't necessarily illegal to be carrying a firearm, perhaps not just gunning people down. The 12 year old in this area wasn't 5' 10". I agree police officers have the right to go home at night; but becoming a police officer means taking on some risk, not offloading it all onto the citizens you come into contact with. Law enforcement isn't even in the top 10 deadliest jobs in America, yet we make it out as if they're all in a war zone.

The FBI reported 410 justifiable homicides last year by police which is roughly what it's been since they started tracking them. What we have is a case of the media fueling a frenzy and making it sound worse than it is IMO.

Well, if you look worldwide, we're way out of wack with all other rich countries with those numbers. Adjusting for population, you're 100x less likely to be shot by a police officer in Britain, for example. Also, that number is likely under-reported as there is no law or requirement for reporting police homicides to the FBI or federal government. Nate Silver gets it closer to 1,000 or so. http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/another-much-higher-count-of-police-homicides/

No, I'm saying that I only have control over my own actions, and thus, my own actions are all that I feel I should be held responsible for. I can't control what happened decades if not centuries before I was born.

Exactly. I've made the point a lot about this coming from the other side. Whatever issues the black community may have overall, there are plenty of blacks that are doing fine and aren't blaming white people for their problems. Like you said, I only have control over my own actions. I have no more control over a black guy that attacks a white cop and what may result from that event than you do. And whatever you may think of race-baiters which I would assume that people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on that list, I've never heard them encouraging anyone to break the law.

Exactly. I've made the point a lot about this coming from the other side. Whatever issues the black community may have overall, there are plenty of blacks that are doing fine and aren't blaming white people for their problems. Like you said, I only have control over my own actions. I have no more control over a black guy that attacks a white cop and what may result from that event than you do. And whatever you may think of race-baiters which I would assume that people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on that list, I've never heard them encouraging anyone to break the law.

I always put it to the individual. Did they do wrong? No? Then they are not at fault.

I don't blame a whole group for the acts of a few. That's shitty thinking.

No one likes a cry baby except mommies and democrats.

back to the OP...

Women make up less than 50% of the work force.. it is not surprising the Microsoft percentage is lower than men in general. Of course women general dont' go for tech jobs so those that are there are probably HR or management of some sort.

blacks make up around 13% of the US population and about the same percentage of the total work force (give or take). the 3% number seems a bit low but not all that off I would expect closer to 5 or 7%. In about 20 years i've only worked with a handful of black IT types though over the years more and more.

Asians make up about 6% of the total workforce and yet microsoft has 29%.

I don't think there is a real problem with the microsoft hiring practice though it is quite a statement that certain demographics have not been to the tech field.

I want to see a diversity report for Kenya's Olympic team. If they dont' have at least 20% white folk they should be kicked out of the next summer olympics :D

Yeah, as it isn't necessarily illegal to be carrying a firearm, perhaps not just gunning people down. The 12 year old in this area wasn't 5' 10". I agree police officers have the right to go home at night; but becoming a police officer means taking on some risk, not offloading it all onto the citizens you come into contact with. Law enforcement isn't even in the top 10 deadliest jobs in America, yet we make it out as if they're all in a war zone.

Well, if you look worldwide, we're way out of wack with all other rich countries with those numbers. Adjusting for population, you're 100x less likely to be shot by a police officer in Britain, for example. Also, that number is likely under-reported as there is no law or requirement for reporting police homicides to the FBI or federal government. Nate Silver gets it closer to 1,000 or so. http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/another-much-higher-count-of-police-homicides/

You are right my memory is not perfect. The boy was 5ft7 and 195lbs, still the size of some adult males. When the police rolled up he reached into his waistband.

Rice died the day after the shooting at MetroHealth Medical Center. The medical examiner clarified the cause of death as being a gunshot wound to the torso, with injuries to major vessels, intestines, and the pelvis.[6] The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office autopsy says Tamir was 5'7" and weighed 195 pounds.

It is illegal for a 12 year old to carry a firearm. It is also illegal to brandish it (which Rice was) and to point it at people (which Rice was). That kid played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. I don't feel even slightly sorry for him.

Many police in Britain don't carry firearms so it's not surprising you're less likely to be shot by one there. You do realize that the metro area I live in has more police officers than all of Britain has officers that are armed. This is why nothing gets done when police brutality is addressed, once lawmakers start statistically comparing apples to apples and consider the facts of a case arguments that we are somehow oppressed fall apart very quickly.

False. Though I can understand why some would prefer whites ignore the public dialog that allows race-baiters to maintain their control.
? That doesn't make any sense in relation to what we were talking about.

Sounds great for the folks who live in North Dakota, but what about those who actually live in populated states?
So you are asking for a licence to discriminate?:rolleyes:

Even if their are systemic problems with the police, it's really a microcosm of the issue as a whole. All a white cop can do on an individual level is not be racist as an individual. They can't control what other cops do.
Yeah BS. Individuals can do all sorts of things that change the way a group handles itself. You could start with oh I don't know not letting someone kick the shit out another person.

Yet you end up with all white cops labeleled as racist because people come up with bullshit like "You can't have 100 white people pointing guns at cops and every one live yet have some black guy running away from a cop with no weapon and get blown away. It's that simple.", basically just making shit up that fits their narrative, or using isolated examples without context, and acting like it applies in all cases.

I don't think I said not a damn thing about all of a group are anything. So the only one really making crap up here is you. Stop projecting. BTW What I said, wasn't made up at all. Sorry to break your bubble with reality.

BundyRanch_SniperFreewayOverpass.jpg

web1_BUNDY-APR15-14-001_12.jpg

That's not military those are civilians.

No, I'm saying that I only have control over my own actions, and thus, my own actions are all that I feel I should be held responsible for. I can't control what happened decades if not centuries before I was born. You claim that I want to "absolve" responsibility. In order for one to be absolved of responsibility, they first have to be held responsible for something. Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on exactly what you feel white people today are responsible for?

Um you can quite easily absolve someone of something without taking part in it yourself. However, the act of doing that today kind of negates the fact that something happened long ago and that you shouldn't be held accountable for it today.

I'm not describing "white guilt", because again, I don't feel guilty of anything. Seems that for some on here, differentiating between others treating someone guilty and that person themselves feeling guilty is too complicated for them. There are plenty of times when someone is accused of something that they didn't do, where they are treated as if they are guilty, but it certainly doesn't mean they feel guilty.

As I asked before give me an example of someone treating you as though you are guilty of something you didn't do.

I could be wrong but those guys don't really look like they are wildly pointing their guns around at people.

? That doesn't make any sense in relation to what we were talking about.

Sorry that you are so easily confused. You replied that if I haven't been arrested or had my wages garnished, then no one has treated me like I'm guilty of anything. That implies that it's not something that can happen simply as a result of comments made in the public dialog, which again, is false.

So you are asking for a licence to discriminate?:rolleyes:

Since my example that you originally quoted was of a person who had done nothing wrong, no, I am not looking for a license to discriminate. Though the fact that you automatically jumped to that conclusion goes a long way toward proving my point about white people being treated guilty for having done nothing wrong.

Yeah BS. Individuals can do all sorts of things that change the way a group handles itself. You could start with oh I don't know not letting someone kick the shit out another person.

I never claimed that an individual doesn't potentially have influence over the groups that they are a member of, I only claimed that people are only responsible for their own actions. In the example you gave, you're still talking about a person making decisions about their own actions.

I don't think I said not a damn thing about all of a group are anything. So the only one really making crap up here is you. Stop projecting. BTW What I said, wasn't made up at all. Sorry to break your bubble with reality.

BundyRanch_SniperFreewayOverpass.jpg

web1_BUNDY-APR15-14-001_12.jpg

That's not military those are civilians.

You posted two pictures of a bunch of white people with guns. Did you actually have a point that you were trying to make? I don't see anyone in any of those pics doing anything wrong.

I do find it ironic though that you just randomly post pictures of white people with guns to try to make your point. I'm guessing you probably don't even think you are racist either.

Um you can quite easily absolve someone of something without taking part in it yourself. However, the act of doing that today kind of negates the fact that something happened long ago and that you shouldn't be held accountable for it today.

Seems like you are confused again. I'm not the one who thinks there is anything anyone needs to be absolved of. That was a claim you made in response to my saying that I'm not guilty of past racism from long before I was born.

As I asked before give me an example of someone treating you as though you are guilty of something you didn't do.

I've already given plenty of examples and I'm not going to run around in circles for your benifit.

You posted two pictures of a bunch of white people with guns. Did you actually have a point that you were trying to make? I don't see anyone in any of those pics doing anything wrong.

I do find it ironic though that you just randomly post pictures of white people with guns to try to make your point. I'm guessing you probably don't even think you are racist either.

Those images are pretty well known. The first one is a guy on an overpass pointing his gun at Federal Agents below.

Federal agents were on the other side doing the same thing. What's your point?

Well no, the federal agents never drew their guns, and if they did, guess which one is legal?

But the real point is, it's okay when this guy does it but it's not when a black kids does it with a toy. America!

Well no, the federal agents never drew their guns,
ranch-raid.jpg

But the real point is, it's okay when this guy does it but it's not when a black kids does it with a toy. America!
The 2nd amendment was written to protect the people from the government using militias exactly like the one at the Bundy Ranch. It was not written to protect black kids from threatening the lives of innocent unarmed civilians 200 yards from a school.

Here's an image of the "toy" gun btw. It's indistinguishable from the Colt 1911 on my belt at this very moment:
Tamirs-Gun.jpg

One drew a gun on people and didn't get arrested. One drew a toy gun on people and got shot.

What was the difference between them?

Federal agents know how to handle a situation on which they're briefed, and city cops sometimes make mistakes handling ones on the fly? Or do you really think those cops got out of the car to shoot that kid because his skin shade was a few tones too deep?

One drew a gun on people and didn't get arrested. One drew a toy gun on people and got shot.

What was the difference between them?
One was threatening unarmed civilians 200 yards from a school with a toy that was modified to look 100% real. The other was a well regulated militia protected by the 2nd amendment of our constitution that arrived in response to armed police in MRAPs and snipers pointing guns, seizing, killing, and burying property. You're daft if you can't tell the difference. It had NOTHING to do with race.

It had NOTHING to do with race.

No responsible black parent would ever tell their kids this, particularly when we're talking about larger black males. I was always a bigger than most kids and my parents taught me to be very careful around cops because large black males are intimidating especially to cops, even to black cops.

No responsible black parent would ever tell their kids this, particularly when we're talking about larger black males. I was always a bigger than most kids and my parents taught me to be very careful around cops because large black males are intimidating especially to cops, even to black cops.

"Very careful." Like what? What types of behaviors should you avoid? :)

All parents of every race should teach their kids to be careful around police. I told my kids that too.
When pulled over STAY IN THE CAR, keep your hands on the wheel, tell the officer you are going to reach in the glove box for the paper work, be polite and say yes sir and no sir, DON'T tell LIE, obey the commands he gives you. Do not resist arrest, you can and will have your day in court. Say thank you, even if he gives you a ticket.

I would also add, do not make any quick motions, do not reach into your pocket, jacket, or pull out any thing like a cane that can be misidentified as a gun or sword. Now is not the time to make a call, leave the cell phone alone it may be mistaken for a gun. Do not point ANYTHING at an officer.

A police officer has to make a judgement in a split second to shoot you or not.
He, (or she) can not ask to see your gun, to see if it is real or not, or to see if it is loaded and chambered or not.
People need to use their heads and some common sense.

All parents of every race should teach their kids to be careful around police. I told my kids that too.

I agree. But bigger black males even more so. Just look at this thread and see the number of times someone has mentioned how ill-tempered black guys are. Indeed count the number of times that blacks have been portrayed stereotypically in this thread. The big black guy out to hurt you is a CLASSIC stereotype, one that even other blacks feel threatened by. Remember, most violence perpetuated by blacks is on other blacks.

I would also add, do not make any quick motions, do not reach into your pocket, jacket, or pull out any thing like a cane that can be misidentified as a gun or sword. Now is not the time to make a call, leave the cell phone alone it may be mistaken for a gun. Do not point ANYTHING at an officer.

A police officer has to make a judgement in a split second to shoot you or not.
He, (or she) can not ask to see your gun, to see if it is real or not, or to see if it is loaded and chambered or not.
People need to use their heads and some common sense.

But one was a trained police officer and grown man. The other was not and 12. It was a bad shoot and excuses don't make it a good one.

I agree. But bigger black males even more so. Just look at this thread and see the number of times someone has mentioned how ill-tempered black guys are. Indeed count the number of times that blacks have been portrayed stereotypically in this thread. The big black guy out to hurt you is a CLASSIC stereotype, one that even other blacks feel threatened by. Remember, most violence perpetuated by blacks is on other blacks.

I can see it. Go to a white part of the country. Little Town, USA. Now, look at the media - from movies to rap music to the news. Big black guys are scary. If that's all you have to base your judgement on - you're going to believe the stereotype until proven otherwise.

I'd be scared in Compton, CA. Never been there, but I'm a small white guy. From TV to rap to the news - I would feel threatened and scared. Even if everyone there was super nice and inviting, when I first arrived, I'd think of the media portrayal.

Now, small town USA. If there was a big black guy there, he's out of the common stereotypical area. So, you might feel less threatened.

Thing with stereotypes, you kind of believe some of them until you're proven wrong. Even if you try not to, you have that in the back of your mind. It sucks, but it's human nature.

I don't dislike those people. But, I do have an initial reaction to feel threatened. It's usually not warranted, either. I'm always nice and friendly, though.

But one was a trained police officer and grown man. The other was not and 12. It was a bad shoot and excuses don't make it a good one.

Here's where you're wrong. It wasn't a "bad shoot", it was perfectly justified. Don't know if the kid was shell-shocked or plain slow, but he made the wrong move when he didn't put his hands up. Maybe his parents should've taught him better about being careful 'round da po-leece, or something.

I am really sorry but when you read the news and you hear of white people being attacked with hammers, joggers being shot in the back by stoned bored kids, old people getting knocked out by being punched in the head in some stupid "knock out game", 2 people have died from being punched and knocked out for ever. There goes he was unarmed and can't hurt you theory,stores being bum-rushed by 30 youth in a mad shoplifting attack. All in the last few years by black youth.
Thousands of young blacks killed by other blacks every year, or the fack most blacks kill other black does not make white people feel any better or safer.
Fact is blacks are 8x more likely to commit murder that any other race.
There is a problem and it needs to be fixed.

There's no question that it was a good shooting. The 12 year old should know better than to take a toy modified to look like a real gun and terrorize unarmed people at a park 200 yards away from a school. A 12 year old is also old enough to know to freeze when an officer tells him to rather than reach for the gun in his waist. We can only judge the officers based on what they knew at the time of the shooting and all they knew was that they had a possible active shooter near a school. The kid had it coming and the officers did nothing wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g&app=desktop

You know what is going to be a real problem now, some stupid people are painting the tips of real guns orange. That could give the criminal a couple split seconds advantage.

Then kids with toy oranges guns will be shot,
Can't fix stupid.

Back