Microsoft Employees Getting Windows 8 Tablets, PCs and Phones

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Christmas is coming early in Redmond this year. According to GeekWire, Microsoft is giving all its employees new tech packages that include Surface RT tablets, Windows phones and new Windows 8 work PCs.

Microsoft employees are just getting out of their big company meeting at KeyArena in Seattle, and if you hear any of them comparing Steve Ballmer to Oprah, there’s a reason: The company announced a surprise package of tech products and upgrades for employees — including new Surface tablets for everyone.

Come to think, if Microsoft employees all have Windows 8 Surfaces, they might even find ways to improve their experiences with it too. This would be the same as when Mark Zuckerberg forced Facebook coders to use Facebook on Android devices to get a taste of their own medicine and improve on it.

Not sure if envy or not.

I mean, sure its all new gadgets to play with

But its Windows 8.

I wonder how many of those PC's will be immediately formated and win7 installed or dual booting to 7

I wonder how many of those PC's will be immediately formated and win7 installed or dual booting to 7

Very few actually, Hyper-V is built into Win8 so we can run Win7 VMs if we need to. However since the Surface is the RT version, not going to be reformatting. :D

First thing they'll be doing with them is opening the new IE10 and finding new jobs. :p

No, no, no. First thing they will be doing is digging out their old Windows 7 install disks, and reverting back to Win 7. :p

Seriously though, if they are upgrading, can I get their old gear for my workplace? I work for a utility, and I'm still on Windows XP, with a Centrino equipped workstation. :(

i think this is great. this is the first time MS has had tablets, phones, and PCs all running different variants of the same thing that are inherently meant to work flawlessly together. forcing them to use all of them together every day should help them find bugs a lot faster. kudos MS, havent tried win8 yet but looking forward to it!

i think this is great. this is the first time MS has had tablets, phones, and PCs all running different variants of the same thing that are inherently meant to work flawlessly together. forcing them to use all of them together every day should help them find bugs a lot faster. kudos MS, havent tried win8 yet but looking forward to it!

It is a good idea, because sometimes given the lack of polish on their other products I wonder how much they actually use their own stuff.

Maybe the article should read "How to prevent an embarrassing amount of excessive product from rotting on store shelves."

I actually do think this is a great idea, even if the employees give many of the items away to friends / family or sell it to whoever, it will put a decent chunk of M$ powered toys in active use in a short amount of time.

It is crappy that they let people go and then give away millions in gadgets, but M$ has far more employees than they know how to properly utilize.

Come to think, if Microsoft employees all have Windows 8 Surfaces, they might even find ways to improve their experiences with it too. This would be the same as when Mark Zuckerberg forced Facebook coders to use Facebook on Android devices to get a taste of their own medicine and improve on it.

I was thinking along those lines, too. Might as well force your employees to use the products that you WANT the rest of the world to adopt. Weather they want it or not...:(

Maybe the article should read "How to prevent an embarrassing amount of excessive product from rotting on store shelves."

I actually do think this is a great idea, even if the employees give many of the items away to friends / family or sell it to whoever, it will put a decent chunk of M$ powered toys in active use in a short amount of time.

It is crappy that they let people go and then give away millions in gadgets, but M$ has far more employees than they know how to properly utilize.

We have under 100,000 employees worldwide. If that can even make a dent in total sales volume, then we're in significant trouble. Consider the Kinect, where 8 million units were sold in the first two months it was out. If Microsoft had bought one per employee, that would have been 1.25% of the total sold. As of January, over 18 million have been sold, meaning we'd be only .556% if every single one of us purchased one.

What this really does is gives us a risk-free incentive to try and use products our companies make from divisions we don't work in.

Of course, I doubt this matters much to you. You're using a dollar sign as an S in "MS", what are you, fourteen?

We have under 100,000 employees worldwide. If that can even make a dent in total sales volume, then we're in significant trouble. Consider the Kinect, where 8 million units were sold in the first two months it was out. If Microsoft had bought one per employee, that would have been 1.25% of the total sold. As of January, over 18 million have been sold, meaning we'd be only .556% if every single one of us purchased one.

What this really does is gives us a risk-free incentive to try and use products our companies make from divisions we don't work in.

Of course, I doubt this matters much to you. You're using a dollar sign as an S in "MS", what are you, fourteen?
Sick burn

Sick burn

Ironic, because that's what you get when you have to use Windows 8.

Those are nice statistics and everything, but they aren't getting a Kinect (still no good games to play with them anyway). At 1 windows mobile per employee thats about 100% of the amount sold this year in the US.

Hopefully due to stupid EULA policys and all the other crap no one asked for, and because they just ignore any critisism and belittle their consumers rather than deal with it, Windows 8 fails miserably. As it deserves to. Which should hopefully mean 9 will at least be a reasonable product. Maybe when they are forced to deal with their own crap, they shall see what everyone has been bitching about. Oh but I forgot, "no one has ever complained about anything! It's true because we say so for PR reasons!!!111" :p

DeathPrincess, I don't think anybody could complain or whine as loudly as you.

Just came from the Redmond campus yesterday. It was a fun filled day of experiencing windows 8 on tablets and laptops. Especially interesting was the convertible laptops.

Overall color me impressed with Windows 8.

Using something and forming opinions is poorly informed? How can you be well informed? Have the opinion someone else tells you to have? :p

I sincerely doubt you used it, but all you did was whine "The metro interface looks kiddie and is too tablet-oriented!" that I ever saw... except much more verbosely and rudely.

Using something and forming opinions is poorly informed? How can you be well informed? Have the opinion someone else tells you to have? :p

You bitch on behalf of other users, as if you have to try to convince them that your opinion is the only possible one. In fact, you are a bit like this:
Stop_liking_what_I_don%27t_like-%28n1315212424812%29.jpg

I sincerely doubt you used it, but all you did was whine "The metro interface looks kiddie and is too tablet-oriented!" that I ever saw... except much more verbosely and rudely.

Then youd be rather wrong. It's not exactly hard to get hold of or daunting to install, nor are the concepts of it that hard to grasp, or flaws that hard to find. What would there be to gain from talking crap about a product I hadn't used.

Anyway, a few posts above even are issues stated which are not to do with the terrible UI or horrid looks. If it was just that, it would be a non issue (though UI can spell doom for some things). If theyd take time to understand why such a wide and diverse range of people (not just "XP forever" evangelists) are so negative about this release, it would save lots of problems down the road. People aren't complaining because they hate MS or Windows, but because they don't want it screwed up, and are trying to help. But they are getting ignored or abuse for doing so.

You bitch on behalf of other users, as if you have to try to convince them that your opinion is the only possible one. In fact, you are a bit like this:

Are you capable of anything without attacking other people personally in a silly way? It speaks volumes about you. :p

Then youd be rather wrong. It's not exactly hard to get hold of or daunting to install, nor are the concepts of it that hard to grasp, or flaws that hard to find. What would there be to gain from talking crap about a product I hadn't used.

Anyway, a few posts above even are issues stated which are not to do with the terrible UI or horrid looks. If it was just that, it would be a non issue (though UI can spell doom for some things). If theyd take time to understand why such a wide and diverse range of people (not just "XP forever" evangelists) are so negative about this release, it would save lots of problems down the road. People aren't complaining because they hate MS or Windows, but because they don't want it screwed up, and are trying to help. But they are getting ignored or abuse for doing so.

Are you capable of anything without attacking other people personally in a silly way? It speaks volumes about you. :p

Considering I've seen nothing but complaints about the UI from you, how about you enlighten us as to your in-depth remarks as to why you think Windows 8 is a "failure that sucks"? That's about all I've gotten from your postings at this hour. How is it being "ruined" or "screwed up"? What bare-metal features are being messed with that are gaining nothing from being touched? As far as what there would be to gain, oh, I don't know.... trolling fun? You seem to enjoy that....!

Considering I've seen nothing but complaints about the UI from you, how about you enlighten us as to your in-depth remarks as to why you think Windows 8 is a "failure that sucks"? That's about all I've gotten from your postings at this hour. How is it being "ruined" or "screwed up"? What bare-metal features are being messed with that are gaining nothing from being touched? As far as what there would be to gain, oh, I don't know.... trolling fun? You seem to enjoy that....!

So you didn't read the bit about the terms of use? If you don't actually read things it's pretty easy to miss stuff and assume it's about something entirely different. As there are very few "bare metal" changes, it's more likely the issues wont arise from that. But that isn't to say the terms of the EULA, and fundemental things like the UI or superficial stuff like the GUI are not cause for concern that should be dismissed without thought.

Oh yes it's so so fun... It's this new pastime a huge diverse bunch of people decided to take up all at once, for absolutely no reason whatsoever just to fuck with Microsoft. It's getting pretty big now, even people like Gabe Newell are part of it!

Not being mindless, I tend to form my own opinons and am not scared to state them even if they are or aren't those of a majority group. If you think thats all done for fun...well, sorry.

So you didn't read the bit about the terms of use? If you don't actually read things it's pretty easy to miss stuff and assume it's about something entirely different. As there are very few "bare metal" changes, it's more likely the issues wont arise from that. But that isn't to say the terms of the EULA, and fundemental things like the UI or superficial stuff like the GUI are not cause for concern that should be dismissed without thought.

Oh yes it's so so fun... It's this new pastime a huge diverse bunch of people decided to take up all at once, for absolutely no reason whatsoever just to fuck with Microsoft. It's getting pretty big now, even people like Gabe Newell are part of it!

Not being mindless, I tend to form my own opinons and am not scared to state them even if they are or aren't those of a majority group. If you think thats all done for fun...well, sorry.

People like Gabe Newell have obvious ulterior motives for not liking Windows 8. To take him at his word or the or anyone in the software distribution business for that matter is naïve.

Just came from the Redmond campus yesterday. It was a fun filled day of experiencing windows 8 on tablets and laptops. Especially interesting was the convertible laptops.

Overall color me impressed with Windows 8.

Hybrid devices I think are going to be the form factors that drive Windows 8. They simply have unique capabilities and while people complain about the Windows 8 UI having one OS that powers a tablet and desktop provides allows for a great level of integration and interoperability that disparate OSes could never achieve.

Jesus u people hate on microsoft,u people hate on apple?where does all the love go?:))

Hybrid devices I think are going to be the form factors that drive Windows 8. They simply have unique capabilities and while people complain about the Windows 8 UI having one OS that powers a tablet and desktop provides allows for a great level of integration and interoperability that disparate OSes could never achieve.

I agree. Part of the driving force here is choice of hardware as well. Also loving the fact that the tablets have USB capabilities. The whole Microsoft/Skydrive ecosystem I think will be a major hit. The ability to log onto someone elses computer and suddenly have access to all your files? All your tiles the way it is at home? Facebook, email, etc. Log out and its all gone.

Back