Microsoft Dumping The Xbox 360 Pro?

Same as they show on live.com the the xbox "pro" just has a 60gig now. so the xbox 360 and 360 "pro" are one in the same

Good. I can't stand in-between options. You either go barebones or over do it, none of those compromises for things in the middle.

With the introduction of the new Natal xboxes (2010?), and Valhalla with GPU/CPU on one chip @ 45nm, I'm guessing we're going to see harddrives in their new iteration too, in larger sizes to too (120gb, 320gb probably, maybe 500gb).

And with Sony able to cheap up the PS3 and the Slim coming out Aug 18th... who knows how MS will react with that.

I wouldn't buy any game console right now. Either wait for the PS3 slim, or wait 'till 2010 for news about natal or valhalla if MS ever pushes that version out.

the box on the left shows: arcade, regular (pro), and elite

the box on the right shows: arcade and elite

Why would they get rid of the "Regular" edition of the console? Everyone I know who has a 360 bought the Pro version...

I really wish MS would get off their asses and offer a huge hdd. It is utterly ridiculous that I only have a 20gb. It should have been at least 80.

The last computer I had just 20gb in was in 1997

It would actually be a good more to only have an $299 xbox360 with a hard-drive (120GB) and a $199 xbox360 without the hard-drive. Not sure why the Elite was ever intruded and MS will need to drop it at some point the prices drop.

I have a launch 360 that still works :) I'll jump to a newer console like the elite or a newer design to compete with ps3 slim if they stop raping us on the hdd sizes and markups. im tired of picking and choosing which game to have installed or what not..

What MS really needs to do is include no HD and let us plug in our own eSATA drives. Can I get an amen to that?

What MS really needs to do is include no HD and let us plug in our own eSATA drives. Can I get an amen to that?

Amen. :cool:

I think MS doesn't allow HDD swapping of any sort due to the piracy risk and what happened with the Xbox 1 (modding galore).

Amen. :cool:

I think MS doesn't allow HDD swapping of any sort due to the piracy risk and what happened with the Xbox 1 (modding galore).

and MS also wouldn't be able to make $100 for a 60GB drive :rolleyes: (that what cost, like $30?)

Errm just what exactly would folks be doing with these larger HDDs?

I was thinking about buying a larger one but a friend stopped me by saying it really wasnt that much useful as you cant actually copy anything media wise to it other than music.

I was hoping to copy my Divx collection to it but its not possible. Seems pointless really, unless I've missed somethnig huge in my 3 years of 360 ownership?

I was thinking about buying a larger one but a friend stopped me by saying it really wasnt that much useful as you cant actually copy anything media wise to it other than music.

I was hoping to copy my Divx collection to it but its not possible. Seems pointless really, unless I've missed somethnig huge in my 3 years of 360 ownership?

Store all your games onto HDD for less load times, 360 game downloads (ex: xbox originals, live arcade), tv shows, and it begins to add up

I really wish MS would get off their asses and offer a huge hdd. It is utterly ridiculous that I only have a 20gb. It should have been at least 80.

They do. Mine has a 120GB. You were just unluckly to buy them way back when they had smaller harddrives. Now the pro has 60GB, the elite 120GB. You can buy newer ones to upgrade yours, but it won't be cheap.

I am actually one of those that got the elite system. I wanted the larger HD (120GB instead of 60GB) and the HDMI cable. So I went ahead and got the elite.

Store all your games onto HDD for less load times, 360 game downloads (ex: xbox originals, live arcade), ... and it begins to add up
I install the games to avoid the DVD spinning up/down and rent downloadable movies.
MS should allow a larger HD than the 120GB. My PS3 has a 320GB I got from Newegg. :)

The news leaked that the Elite was going to replace the Pro at the $299 price point is a few months old. It only makes sense to completely drop the Pro.

It'll never happen but I'd love it if Microsoft allowed the use of external USB hard drives. What they charge for their 120GB HD is criminal.

I don't play my PS3 nearly as much as my 360 but one thing I'll say is great about it is how open the PS3 is to outside peripherals and accessories. You can use any keyboard, mouse, Bluetooth headset, or SATA hard drive that you want with it, no problem. You can even install Linux on the PS3 if you want to. The 360 is so locked down in comparison, you can't do a single thing with it unless it is branded or licensed by Microsoft.

Again, $150 MSRP for a 120GB and no option to go larger with my own HD is ridiculous, but I guess they win since they got my money :) (120GB is barely enough for me, had to have it).

I have a 120GB HD, currently at about 17GB of free space. The majority of the space is taken up by installed games, loads of Rock Band DLC (over 300 songs and not slowing down anytime soon), a couple expansions and map packs, loads of XBLA games, and a few videos. If I had music or more video on it then it would be even more cramped. As it stands I don't have enough room to accommodate more than my games and DLC.

They do, its called a gaming PC.

No, its called getting as much profit as you can from proprietary accessories. You can plug in any 2.5" SATA hard drive into the Playstation 3 that you want and use it as your main drive (and easily view any video format, use any BT headset, mouse, keyboard, install other OSes, etc etc).

Its a shame that the 360 is so locked down into MS-only parts; I have a 120GB drive on mine and I only have about 17GB left.

i will def be getting a PS3 when the prices come down. my 360 bit the dust, and im sure as hell not buying another one with the way MS handles their Xbox Live accounts....

I'd kill to have that option. What I'd REALLY love is the ability to use and access off an external hard drive. I wouldn't care if it'd have to be in some proprietary format. I just want a larger hard drive. And with this Games on Demand thing? Yeeah....

4-8 gigs for a game PLUS game add-ons that can be as large as a gig in size, if not larger? 60 gigs is going to be filled up. FAST.

SamuraiInBlack - You can get a 120GB hard drive. Its way overpriced but its there, I have it and its just enough for me. I'd prefer it if I can use any HD that I want to like with the PS3, but it ain't gonna happen.

That's what I'm talking about Serpico. I have a 500 gig drive that I can just use to my heart's content. I would rather do that than try to fit it all on my 360's hard drive.

That's what I'm talking about Serpico. I have a 500 gig drive that I can just use to my heart's content. I would rather do that than try to fit it all on my 360's hard drive.

You could please MS by buying 5 120GB HDDs, and on the upside you'd have 600 gb. :cool:

I use my 360 more but the PS3 has the right idea in terms of being a more open platform. You can use any 2.5" SATA hard drive for storage, ditto any bluetooth headset, mouse, wireless keyboard, and you can easily install Linux on it.

Again, the 360 is cool but I hate how it is so locked down into expensive accessories that you can only use on the 360. Yes I understand that selling cheap hardware at insane margins (120GB HD for $150?) is how Microsoft makes money, but as a consumer I'm a much bigger fan of how Sony handles outside accessories and add-ons with the PS3. Sure, you can use Sony branded memory cards, headsets, etc, but if you feel like you can use anybody else's. When I needed a wireless headset I didn't need to go to the store to buy a PS3 headset (even though it exists), I just used an old BT headset I had lying around, pretty cool. No way you'd ever see that on the 360, its MS accessories or bust.

I would love it if I could just plug in my own HD for extra storage on my 360, it would be cheaper and have much more space. 120GB is as big as it goes, it was really expensive, and the capacity is pushing it for me, I'm going to have to start deleting stuff soon if this keeps up.

Back