Micro Center Selling Refurb'd Sapphire Nitro+ Vapor-X 7900 XTX Now?

sk3tch

2[H]4U
https://www.microcenter.com/product...4gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card-(refurbished)

$850! Insane deal, right? Isn't this considered the best 7900 XTX - at least on air? Big neg I see is only a 90 day warranty.

Does anyone know anything about these refurb'd cards? I assume Sapphire refurb'd? If it were MC they would probably just Open Box it... My store (St Louis Park, MN) just got one - I reserved it. Gonna pick it up later.

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-vaporx-24g-gddr6

https://www.microcenter.com/product...4gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card-(refurbished)

$850! Insane deal, right? Isn't this considered the best 7900 XTX - at least on air? Big neg I see is only a 90 day warranty.

Does anyone know anything about these refurb'd cards? I assume Sapphire refurb'd? If it were MC they would probably just Open Box it... My store (St Louis Park, MN) just got one - I reserved it. Gonna pick it up later.

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-vaporx-24g-gddr6
That's a lot of money to spend on a refurb with only 90 days of warranty.

$170 off new - I’m gonna check it out and see how it was refurbished. Google results say “Factory” is on ones done by the mfr so this may just be a return. :-/

Remember guys sketch had like 4 4090s at one point, he's not price sensitive :)
Ha I am downsizing! May dump my last 4090 for this guy (or my TUF 4080 S).

Got the scoop - it’s one of the first “GPU Trade-in” cards at my Micro Center. They test it for artifacts and then box it up for sale. Just the card, the brace, and some documentation in a cardboard box.

Gonna test it out and see. If it’s solid 90 days is plenty of time it’s warranty’d by the store. $99 for two years from MC but then it’s practically retail and I guess it doesn’t transfer.

Looks like Sapphire warranties based on purchase receipt? Very strange - https://support.sapphiretech.com/warranty.asp?lang=eng.

EDIT: lol at those that make fun of the 12VHPWR cable...look at that triple 8-pin mess. 😳

EDIT2: nice Time Spy - nearly 32K graphics with just a stock run and no tweaking - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/107567828?.

IMG_5295.jpeg

Last edited:
What's a 'trade-in?' A return/exchange? What's the normal price? A 'refurbished' gpu would be one that was RMA'ed and then sent to the store it was sold for re-sale - I would have guessed. A 'trade-in' would be called an 'open-box' perhaps - but, it depends on store policy - if a returned 'gpu' can be still called 'new' or sold 'new' at the usual price? I dunno.... just tossing ideas out there.

I believe the Nitro is considered the top AMD brand/model card in each series? At least, for Sapphire?

Pretty interesting regarding 'warranty from Sapphire' - I've looked at a few used Sapphire RX 7900 XTX Nitro cards - somewhat okay prices considering their new/retail price for me - but, it appears you need to have the receipt - and even then, it could be bad - would just the retailer info be on the receipt? I wouldn't want to get a gpu and then not have warranty because of their strict criteria.

What's a 'trade-in?' A return/exchange? What's the normal price? A 'refurbished' gpu would be one that was RMA'ed and then sent to the store it was sold for re-sale - I would have guessed. A 'trade-in' would be called an 'open-box' perhaps - but, it depends on store policy - if a returned 'gpu' can be still called 'new' or sold 'new' at the usual price? I dunno.... just tossing ideas out there.

I believe the Nitro is considered the top AMD brand/model card in each series? At least, for Sapphire?

Pretty interesting regarding 'warranty from Sapphire' - I've looked at a few used Sapphire RX 7900 XTX Nitro cards - somewhat okay prices considering their new/retail price for me - but, it appears you need to have the receipt - and even then, it could be bad - would just the retailer info be on the receipt? I wouldn't want to get a gpu and then not have warranty because of their strict criteria.
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/trade-in-landing.aspx

Read up more on Sapphire - 1 year warranty typically.

And yes this is the top Sapphire. It’s crazy sick so far. Doing OCCT tests now using the Unreal Engine

Reactions: pavel
like this
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/trade-in-landing.aspx

Read up more on Sapphire - 1 year warranty typically.

And yes this is the top Sapphire. It’s crazy sick so far. Doing OCCT tests now using the Unreal Engine
Yeah, that's not good. I have read up on it too but it applies to me - a different country than yours? In Canada, Sapphire has a bad rep regarding warranty - they used to 'outsource' or contract out to another company. It sounds pretty complicated and I'm not sure if it is still the case. In fact, ironically, I read of a guy on reddit who went through a bad experience with a Sapphire Nitro 7900 xtx but the majority of ppl who replied were kinda mean and simply shrugged it off as user/pebkb. Perhaps.

I definitely worry about a used gpu having issue or being down the road in which I need an RMA - it's just such a hassle and if it's used - then reason to be nervous. I look at MSI and ASUS when looking at used gpus for that reason. MSI isn't perfect by any means but apparently, there's some good experiences with ppl regarding MSI RMA/warranty/CS for gpus, at least.

Gpus should have, at least, 3 year warranty - minimum?!? Also, if the company says you need to deal with the dealer/retailer - if it's Amazon or something like that - that would pretty much suck. I prefer a local sale if buying new - so, you can return/exchange it and talk to human in person if you have issues with the hardware. If buying used - then, at least, get the receipt/invoice just in case - because that's often required nowadays for most AIBs?

Yeah, that's not good. I have read up on it too but it applies to me - a different country than yours? In Canada, Sapphire has a bad rep regarding warranty - they used to 'outsource' or contract out to another company. It sounds pretty complicated and I'm not sure if it is still the case. In fact, ironically, I read of a guy on reddit who went through a bad experience with a Sapphire Nitro 7900 xtx but the majority of ppl who replied were kinda mean and simply shrugged it off as user/pebkb. Perhaps.

I definitely worry about a used gpu having issue or being down the road in which I need an RMA - it's just such a hassle and if it's used - then reason to be nervous. I look at MSI and ASUS when looking at used gpus for that reason. MSI isn't perfect by any means but apparently, there's some good experiences with ppl regarding MSI RMA/warranty/CS for gpus, at least.

Gpus should have, at least, 3 year warranty - minimum?!? Also, if the company says you need to deal with the dealer/retailer - if it's Amazon or something like that - that would pretty much suck. I prefer a local sale if buying new - so, you can return/exchange it and talk to human in person if you have issues with the hardware. If buying used - then, at least, get the receipt/invoice just in case - because that's often required nowadays for most AIBs?
Yeah - definitely all good points!

I’m gonna make sure I’m protected if I keep it. Although I cycle through GPUs pretty often. The resale value looks strong which is another plus. Incredible card so far.

Reactions: pavel
like this
Why would you not keep using your 4090, isn't a superior card in all respects?
Yes. Just selling to get ready for next gen. Don't need a 4090 for everything when it is probably in its last year of being a top dog. I like playing with GPUs, too.

1080p / 360Hz went from RTX 4090 to RTX 4070 Ti SUPER to RTX 4080 SUPER to now 7900 XTX
3440x1440 / 175Hz is on RTX 4090 - may move to RTX 4080 SUPER if I keep the 7900 XTX
3440x1440 / 165Hz went from RTX 4090 to RTX 4080 SUPER to RTX 4070 Ti SUPER
1080p / 240Hz went from Intel A380 to RTX 4090 to RTX 4070 SUPER

My son hasn't noticed much of a diff and frankly, for me, the feel is similar. The move from RTX 4090 to RTX 4070 Ti SUPER was a big step but it wasn't anything I couldnt' deal with for my gaming needs. Moving to RTX 4080 SUPER didn't really improve enough where I feel that it would be worth $200 to bump up...but resale value is stronger so if you have the option I would get the 4080 S every time.

I've been buying and selling computer parts for like 15 years hardcore so for me it is just a fun part of the hobby.

These 7900 XTX cards are interesting to me because they're very powerful for raster which is basically all that I need for Fortnite and also getting cheap as people migrate to the new NVIDIA SUPER competition.

I'm a gamer and I used to do a bunch of password cracking (hence the 4090s) but it hasn't been needed, recently. I'm not into any of that AI stuff so just getting out when the price is high.

Last edited:
Yeah - definitely all good points!

I’m gonna make sure I’m protected if I keep it. Although I cycle through GPUs pretty often. The resale value looks strong which is another plus. Incredible card so far.
How will you do that? Prospective used gpu buyer would like to know... :D

Yes. Just selling to get ready for next gen. Don't need a 4090 for everything when it is probably in its last year of being a top dog. I like playing with GPUs, too.

1080p / 360Hz went from RTX 4090 to RTX 4070 Ti SUPER to RTX 4080 SUPER to now 7900 XTX
3440x1440 / 175Hz is on RTX 4090 - may move to RTX 4080 SUPER if I keep the 7900 XTX
3440x1440 / 165Hz went from RTX 4090 to RTX 4080 SUPER to RTX 4070 Ti SUPER
1080p / 240Hz went from Intel A380 to RTX 4090 to RTX 4070 SUPER

My son hasn't noticed much of a diff and frankly, for me, the feel is similar. The move from RTX 4090 to RTX 4070 Ti SUPER was a big step but it wasn't anything I couldnt' deal with for my gaming needs. Moving to RTX 4080 SUPER didn't really improve enough where I feel that it would be worth $200 to bump up...but resale value is stronger so if you have the option I would get the 4080 S every time.

I've been buying and selling computer parts for like 15 years hardcore so for me it is just a fun part of the hobby.

These 7900 XTX cards are interesting to me because they're very powerful for raster which is basically all that I need for Fortnite and also getting cheap as people migrate to the new NVIDIA SUPER competition.

I'm a gamer and I used to do a bunch of password cracking (hence the 4090s) but it hasn't been needed, recently. I'm not into any of that AI stuff so just getting out when the price is high.
Fortnite? I thought Fortnite was optimized for Nvidia cards? I seem to recall reading ppl talking about performance is a bit lacking on AMD gpus. It was not a big thing for me but I occasionally play Fortnite - and after I read that - I thought, 'aw, damn....if I get a 7900 series gpu over, say, a 4070 Ti Super or (used) 4080..."
It definitely wasn't a deal breaker by any means but it was my impression the nvidia cards are better for that game?

Have you compared your 4090 vs the 7900 xtx on it? Obviously, the 4090 will be better but the gap might be greater than, perhaps, other 'gpu neutral' games?

Fortnite? I thought Fortnite was optimized for Nvidia cards? I seem to recall reading ppl talking about performance is a bit lacking on AMD gpus. It was not a big thing for me but I occasionally play Fortnite - and after I read that - I thought, 'aw, damn....if I get a 7900 series gpu over, say, a 4070 Ti Super or (used) 4080..."
It definitely wasn't a deal breaker by any means but it was my impression the nvidia cards are better for that game?

Have you compared your 4090 vs the 7900 xtx on it? Obviously, the 4090 will be better but the gap might be greater than, perhaps, other 'gpu neutral' games?
It is. There are a lot of nice to have features. #1 for me is the replay feature being built right in. However, with the 7900 XTX / XT's raster performance being so good it's not a huge difference maker. You just have to consider pricing.

The RTX 4090 is better for sure. As is the RTX 4080 S. But with 7900 XTX's going for around $825+ and XTs for $700 or lower...worth a look for sure.

How will you do that? Prospective used gpu buyer would like to know... :D
Credit card protection
Still seems like a good deal if not abused
It's in immaculate shape and performing perfectly.

Last edited:

I think so with the exception of the Asrock Liquid cooled ( custom loop blocked) card. That one is over 3ghz clock speeds. I think I am going to new egg that one this week. Just not sure. Its 1450 bucks. The one at Microcenter is compelling. I may get one. But Im not sure I want refurbished because the warranties are never as good. But Mcenter has that warranty that is unbeatable.

I think so with the exception of the Asrock Liquid cooled ( custom loop blocked) card. That one is over 3ghz clock speeds. I think I am going to new egg that one this week. Just not sure. Its 1450 bucks. The one at Microcenter is compelling. I may get one. But Im not sure I want refurbished because the warranties are never as good. But Mcenter has that warranty that is unbeatable.
It was $99 for this card. I declined. I wonder if I should just bite the bullet. Would erase a lot of worry. I love the card...it's completely irrational at this point. I mean, it is an awesome card...but I just already have a special place in my heart for it, LOL.

That ASRock liquid cooled one looks sick but I am too damn old for that stuff. Haha.

Mine is breaking 3 GHz, no? This is stock no OC...

7900xtx_nitro+.png

Last edited:
Why would it only have a 90 day warranty? Most of the time a refurbished item is sold with the full manufacturer warranty.

If it's really only a 90 day warranty, I think it would be a pass for me. I think an open box would be the better way to go, as you would have a valid store receipt and the full warranty.

Why would it only have a 90 day warranty? Most of the time a refurbished item is sold with the full manufacturer warranty.

If it's really only a 90 day warranty, I think it would be a pass for me. I think an open box would be the better way to go, as you would have a valid store receipt and the full warranty.
GPU trade ins at Micro Center are marked as refurbished and have a 90 day warranty. They want you to buy their protection plan.

Loved the card but I returned it since it didn’t make sense to take the risk - plus the 4080S will have a higher value down the road.

Back