Mediacom Disconnects and Bans Alleged Internet Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are a Mediacom customer, you'd better watch out where you get your Linux distros and game demos. :eek:

Mediacom, one of the larger Internet providers in the United States, has not joined the controversial six-strikes anti-piracy scheme set to start later this year. But that doesn’t mean Mediacom customers can pirate without consequences, on the contrary. The Internet provider rigorously terminates the Internet access of subscribers who receive two DMCA notifications and after a third notice customers are permanently disconnected and banned for life.

Last edited:
This just in, Mediacom bans 75% of their user base. Mediacom goes bankrupt.

Sounds more like scare tactics hype than actual practice.

Actually no, I've got 2 warnings, they turned me off when I got my second and I had to sign a contract saying "IF I had downloaded illegal content, blah blah blah....I have removed it and wouldn't do it again...blah blah blah". After I signed it, they turned it back on...still shopping for new ISP...

Did they get it wrong? those warnings I mean. Because I know they don't always get it right. And if they did get it wrong, then I do hope they go bankrupt.

GL on your search.

So all the RIAA has to do is send in more than two notices to Mediacomm for every customer it has and Mediacomm has no problem getting rid of them all regardless of whether the notice is factual or not?

Isn't a warning, just that. Does it not have to go before a court of law to be determined that you are actually guilty of something? What the fuck happened to arbitration and justice? I hope they go bankrupt.

Anybody who gets one notice is an idiot, and deserves to be banned, because they should have been using a proxy server.:p

Anybody who gets one notice is an idiot, and deserves to be banned, because they should have been using a proxy server.:p

I understand you are making a joke, but we all know that these clowns target random people. Just ask the little old ladies, who just check email form family, who are accused of being pirates.

That's ok... I won't be using Mediacom again any time soon.

1. I switched to Knology and called Mediacom to disconnect my service from them. Got my final bill amount and paid it right then.
2. They said they would be out a certain day to disconnect.
3. They never came, and instead sent me another bill.
4. I called them and they said that it had not been diconnected... they then actually disconnected it.
5. I then started receiving collection notices from them for around $9.
6. This happened for about 3 months. I had to demand to talk to their legal department before they agreed to stop sending me notices.

Bunch of freaking idiots and scammers.

I've twice been notified by them that this was my "second offense" and the third would be disconnect, I think they just keep looping on their second offense, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't want to disconnect a paying customer now would they?

i'd say if they ban you, you probably should swap to another inet company anyway

so let them ban themselves out of business

If you are a Mediacom customer, you'd better watch out where you get your Linux distros and game demos. :eek:

Yeah but the DMCA requests are usually from files that the MPAA/RIAA are watching. THe ISP's are watching bandwidth activity.

DW that's all well and good, but, obviously you can't use your own proxy server because that's self defeating. So then otherwise you have to go out and pay for a server, which at that point becomes lackluster. If you're going to pay for a proxy to download torrents, you shouldn't be downloading torrents at that point. There are other, more efficient ways to get files should one want them that end up not getting tracked quite like torrents do.

Not that I'm condoning anything or saying it's right mind you. Just saying.

We ignore them. Until Mr. Gub'ment tells me otherwise, let the lawyers be the ones to prosecute.

It's not the highway authority's responsibilty to ban speeders from its roads, is it? That's why they have traffic cops.

Abuse of a (likely) monopoly on internet access.

This.

In my area, basically there is really shitty DSL (been down that route) or Mediacom Cable.

Mediacom doesn't give a shit because you can either take the shit their shoveling or do without.

my family has gotten the letters from mediacom!

they have a under the table agreement with the large media companies

the customer service is rude, they dont care if they are the only source of internet and someone stole wifi from grandma to download a game or app.

I used to work for Mediacom. That place is a complete shithole, some of the managers they moved to my department were field installers - no IT experience at all - but God help us if we tried to correct them.

Anyways, if you have Mediacom and get a notice, just throw it away. I don't know if it has changed since I was there, but it didn't go on your record unless you returned the signed notice.

Back