Mechwarrior Online, anyone looking foward?

Who is interested in MWO?

• Yes

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 68 23.6%
  • Never heard of it.

Votes: 30 10.4%

• Total voters
...no one wants to remove ECM. Most people just think the current implementation is lazy. Read these if you want more info:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/171103-ecm-proposal-spiralface/

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170983-ecm-dialogue-part-1-identifyingsolidifying-the-problems/

At the same time, just because you're having fun with the game doesn't mean problems don't exist.

what is sad is so many of the changes lately weren't even issues unless you were a competition player, and they are such a small minority of the player base yet PGI continues to listen to them.

Almost every single multiplayer game balances around the top tier of players. It's the logical thing to do.

But the funny thing is PGI doesn't listen to the competitive players. How many months did it take for PPC+Gauss to get fixed? Hell, the game LAUNCHED without private lobby support.

If you don't like it just don't play it.

Yeah that's all well and good, except the fact that many of the "angry" people are founders that pledged money to PGI based on their promises which have since been broken or unfulfilled. Sure, we could have simply not pledged or given them money, but this was the first real Mechwarrior game since 4. We simply wanted it to happen, and then PGI fucked it all up in ways we couldn't even imagine.

Imagine if 1-2 years from now, Star Citizen pulls a MWO. There is going to be a meltdown.

oh man...the lols in those links just go on and on and on

I mean, I have been pretty critical of PGI, but I really had no idea what a consensus there was on this, thread after thread running 20:1 F U PGI.

I really hope other studios are watching this and think twice about picking up beloved IP for a money grab.

I did not think about it in that perspective. That makes a lot of sense. I had not realized that there was so much to the ECM. When I play it I just go do my thing and try to cover my team with it. I really hope they can sort this all out and get people happy to be playing Mechwarrior.

Yeah that's all well and good, except the fact that many of the "angry" people are founders that pledged money to PGI based on their promises which have since been broken or unfulfilled. Sure, we could have simply not pledged or given them money, but this was the first real Mechwarrior game since 4. We simply wanted it to happen, and then PGI fucked it all up in ways we couldn't even imagine.

At the same time, just because you're having fun with the game doesn't mean problems don't exist.

not saying problems don't exist but I think many of the problems that are bitched about aren't really problems per se and there are many other things that need to be looked at and fixed before going into other things.

Things like the IFF issues. It needs to be sorted WAY before they start screwing around with other things. it is almost game breaking at times.

that is what I mean. I have fun playing even though it has issues but I think the issues need to be resolved in a different order.

I am still spending money on the game even though this stuff annoys the crap out of me and makes me fear that it will get more stupid.

Yeah if you're enjoying the game, then by all means keep enjoying it.

Most of us Founders are simply bitter at how PGI mishandled the game and never listened to any of the feedback during Closed/Open Beta.

That said, this seems to be a small step in the right direction: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/171263-1-year-customer-appreciation-program/

And if they do follow-up on an ECM proposal and manage to get out CW before the end of the year, I'd consider playing again.

Announced today:
UyMbEWR.jpg

smh

So can someone give me the cliff notes of what PGI did to piss people with MWO?

I mean from what I've read it seems like people are pissed about them breaking reddit's rules and the fact that they are trying to crowdfund their next game.

I was also under the impression that the original guys who made MEchwarrior had hte license (or at least licensed it from MS) before these guys developed the game ?

So could Smith and Tinker still make another mechwarrior game or something more?

I haven't played this game in a long time, since near launch, but it was extremely disappointing int he lack of environmental destruction, individual mech damage on limbs (IE couldn't "leg" mechs like mechwarrior 3) and other things that just seemed half assed.

I just wish they had made a full fledged mechwarrior game with mp like the old ones, and actually gave us cities to fight in (like the prototype trailer they showed off before this game).

So can someone give me the cliff notes of what PGI did to piss people with MWO?

I mean from what I've read it seems like people are pissed about them breaking reddit's rules and the fact that they are trying to crowdfund their next game.

I was also under the impression that the original guys who made MEchwarrior had hte license (or at least licensed it from MS) before these guys developed the game ?

So could Smith and Tinker still make another mechwarrior game or something more?

I haven't played this game in a long time, since near launch, but it was extremely disappointing int he lack of environmental destruction, individual mech damage on limbs (IE couldn't "leg" mechs like mechwarrior 3) and other things that just seemed half assed.

I just wish they had made a full fledged mechwarrior game with mp like the old ones, and actually gave us cities to fight in (like the prototype trailer they showed off before this game).

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170725-regarding-reddit/

read till you are blue in the face, 60+ pages, hundreds of founding funders weighing in and not a single positive post.

cliffs

-glacial pace of actual feature development
-endless stream of cash grab bling pacs
-disregard and outright hostility toward hardcore community
-repressive moderation on MWO forums including stalking users on third party sites and banning them for comments there
-when the well finally starts running dry announcing funding drive for the next game when they never finished this one
-etc etc etc

1- I was also under the impression that the original guys who made MEchwarrior had hte license (or at least licensed it from MS) before these guys developed the game ?

2- So could Smith and Tinker still make another mechwarrior game or something more?

3- I haven't played this game in a long time, since near launch, but it was extremely disappointing int he lack of environmental destruction, individual mech damage on limbs (IE couldn't "leg" mechs like mechwarrior 3) and other things that just seemed half assed.

4- I just wish they had made a full fledged mechwarrior game with mp like the old ones, and actually gave us cities to fight in (like the prototype trailer they showed off before this game).
1- FASA's gone, and has been for a while.
2- Not for the foreseeable future. PGI has the exclusive license now.
3- Environmental destruction is still MIA, but individual mech part damage has been in for a loooooong time now. Legging, blowing off arms etc is all there. BUT, falling is still MIA. So is any decent indicator you've caused an ammo explosion.
4. There are several city maps. I think they are well done, with a decent mix of city area and more open areas in each map that has cityscape.

the debate now is was the games development slowed by the parent company or PGI itself and now that PGI is in full control will it get better and will stuff get done faster.

PGI did sort of say that a lot of stuff was slowed by the parent.

silly thing is they are so worried more about all the silly piddly stuff and not adding promised or new content. i'd rather them do that than continue to screw with nerfs and balance.

there is another company that owns the rights to certain mech designs though.

the debate now is was the games development slowed by the parent company or PGI itself and now that PGI is in full control will it get better and will stuff get done faster.

PGI did sort of say that a lot of stuff was slowed by the parent.

silly thing is they are so worried more about all the silly piddly stuff and not adding promised or new content. i'd rather them do that than continue to screw with nerfs and balance.

there is another company that owns the rights to certain mech designs though.

The OG mechs, like the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, locust and several others are owned by Harmony Gold, who have licensed the images for the recent Robotech miniatures game. They are referred to as "unseen" and cannot be used in Battletech or Mechwarrior products.
A very brief run down can be found here: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

That said, "reseen" versions of these mechs have been created. They are SOMEWHAT similar to the originals, but different enough to avoid the IP issues. Others have had their rights properly acquired and can be used.

For example: the original locust:
191px-Locust.jpg.png

And the MWO locust:
MWO_Locust_Artwork-buffed.jpg

The original Wolverine:
191px-3025_shadowhawk.jpg

The MWO Wolverine:
shadowhawkyellow.png

man...I better dust off the old K2 and have a little fun before they shut the servers down and slink off into the night

I paid to be a founder in this and played it like twice on release I think, as I used to play the original over Kali even before the web was even up and MMO's.

Why I do not do that anymore, had told myself I wouldn't before that and still did.

Why I'll never do so again.

OK, so here is my latest

they were running a promotion where you get premium time for dropping as a team of 4, so we are having a buddy over, I get him on the main system, gf on the #2 system, i press the barely capable AM2/8800/1280x1024 setup into service and operate that, get on steam and get my other buddy on and we drop as 4.

We are sucking pretty bad. Steam buddy is pretty good but I'm distracted teaching 2 newbs in the room here and only managing about 200 damage per round...they are getting double digits.

We drop about 6 or 7 times and suddenly all the accounts here are banned

"you are banned"

which is just so fail, before that the visiting buddy was talking about downloading it and getting another of his friends on...now, well, not so much

I'm just shaking my head here. Here I am actively turning people on to the game, and we get banned. For what? For sucking? For actually having more than one person in the room?

WTAF?

seriously confused

update on that last

got on the forums with pretty much exactly the information above

2 threads instalocked

s m h

I'm sorry, but no one gets banned for being bad. Period. Something else was going on...

No, it obviously wasn't for being bad, and I had a hard time beleiving JoJo thought that either. It was.most likely for running multiple accounts from the same IP to prevent cbill farming bots, which is somewhat understandable.

But locking the threads instead of listening to the players perspective and finding out that the ban was misapplied in this case? Classic PGI.

Who the hell would actually run C-Bill farming bots, though?

If C-Bills had actual monetary value, I could understand, but...

I've not heard of it in MWO, but I suppose there are companies you could share your login with and they'd grind for you.

Odd with the ban. As far as the thread locking I think that it's a bit harsh but they seem to want their dealings such as that to be handled privately instead of publicly. I at one point frequently had two accounts in use at my house as my oldest stepson got interested in playing for period of time. Unfortunately it did not hold with him as the more "flashy style" of games like Hawken and Titanfall were more appealing to him.

I hope you get your situation resolved with them jojo, it does seem odd for that to happen. I have had it happen with other online games and support has usually been friendly and solving the issue.

I haven't played in a long time, so I don't know if they've made the c-bill grind any better, but at one point there were definitely bots that would join matches and just suicide out of bounds to farm c-bills. You can't sell them or trade them for real money or anything else, but you certainly can buy mechs and parts with them.

Someone actually put together a timeline of the mismanagement of the game. Some stuff is petty, others a fairly big deal, but it's all there allegedly.

http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/e...ng-Expectations#vars!date=2014-09-14_09:26:05!

While I hated what they did over the last 2 years, they seem to realize they screwed up and are making a decent effort to fix that. We'll see how it ends up though.

Wow thanks for that, must have taken someone a long time to do that timeline

I am so done with PGI

I should transcribe the back and forth after my banning for you guys

i have a feeling it is going to turn into a giant joke of a thing because it doesn't really get the majority of players into it very well (majority being solo types)

I think PGI will figure out really fast that trying to make it some "hardcore" mode is going to be the down fall of it. if they want paying customers, they need to keep people having fun and they won't survive on those elite groups. If the solos go, the groups have no one to fight and so far defense against 12 mans is crap and will only get worse once they learn the maps better.

defense vs mixed groups is fine but once you get 8+ it goes down hill fast and the solo defenders, which so far make up almost all the defense, don't stand much of a chance. They are trying, but it is nearly impossible to succeed even though we are talking and moving to react to what they are doing.

IS vs Clan is even worse right now. IS vs IS is ok.

after like 1 whole day I'm done with CW. it is a joke setup for the tryhard groups to stomp anyone who isn't another tryhard group.

So they can sit around with no one to fight because that is what is going to happen.

the CW queue favors 12man teams anyway so you can sit and wait forever depending on the size of your group and how others join into the pre-queue for a planet.

Most players are solo types or those who just kinda team up with random folks they met in the game. it can't survive with that complete split of the community.

All the tryhards keep saying is that it is "hard mode" well its not even that its just a epeen fest for the like the 6 big groups the game actually has to bash and stomp everyone else around.

LOL

Community warfare is a complete and utter failure of epic proportions. it is a ghost town. someone posted a photo with ZERO players in the CW queue...

what a joke and half...

people keeping thinking the patch on thr 20th is going to 'fix' it and so many of the tryhards keep hiding behind the 'beta' slapped on it.

I don't think the game is going to last through 2015....all those founders waited 3 years and they shove this out to get they 'this year' time frame, then go on vacation for 2 weeks and expect that they can fix it.

terrible map design
not including the majority of the player base in a meaningful way
putting solos against 12 mans

CW is like 3 or 4 weeks old now.

I think it'll last through 2015 because people dump shit tons of money on free to play games for various reasons. So long as they keep introducing mech packs, especially well-loved or classic mechs, they will have the income.

I completely agree with you on the map design and overall impression of CW, however. It's such a chore to play it, assuming you even get a game.

Back