Mechanic Shop Budget Build...

motolube

Gawd
Trying to help my mechanic friend, he has an old beat up PC that I have finally convinced him to kick to the side, he wastes more time trying to get to what he needs than actually fixing cars so... here we go

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
AllData Repair and Mitchell OnDemand software. Internet Browsing to Online Vehicle Auctions every week... that is the extent of it.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
400.00 to 500.00 because I want something that will last him for 5 yrs or more with the sporadic upgrade here and there.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Miami, Florida... USA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
PSU, Mobo, CPU/GPU, RAM, SSD (OS only) & HDD (Software files... 500GBs max needed, looking for speed more than capacity)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Case... Mid Tower... (2) 80mm Fans but the PC is inside an office with A/C.
Monitor... 19" ... 1440x900
Keyboard and Mouse
CD/DVD Rom

6) Will you be overclocking?
No... no need

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
19" ... 1440 x 900

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Right Away

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
None of that... W/Potential for 5 + years of usage.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have an XP available but I was thinking on Win 7 64bit to maximize Ram Usage, which I also have.

He might be better off with a prebuilt PC at that price point. Really wouldn't recommend Windows XP considering support for that OS is going to be ending in a few years.

Also, is that DVD drive SATA or IDE?

Just a thought but does that Mitchell and AllDataRepair software work with newer OSs like Windows 7? Probably does but worth but might be something to look into.

Just go to Dell and buy one of their midrange boxes, gone are the days of being able to build a budget box for cheaper than you can buy one pre-made. Plus you get warranty, which means if something does go wrong Dell has to take care of it instead of you. Low end computes are appliances, buy them like they are.

If you are dead set on buidling, you can't really beat the low end I5s or AMD A8 apus on price/performance. Go with Intel, Crucial, or Micron for the SSD. Either of those processors with *Gb of ram and an SSD will absolutely fly at the type of stuff he is using it for and will likely not need any upgrades for your 4-5 year range.

The main problem with both those setups is that included PSUs are crappier than the ones you'll see in Dell prebuilt PCs, especially that Logisys

The main problem with both those setups is that included PSUs are crappier than the ones you'll see in Dell prebuilt PCs, especially that Logisys

I agree about the Logisys PSUs: As I recently discovered, they are made by Deer/Allied/L&C/Solytech - a company whose PSUs have been known to poop out and/or explode when attempting to output anywhere close to their claimed wattage ratings... :(

Last edited:
Why would you put an SSD in there? There's absolutely no need for it and you'd be better served putting that money towards a good power supply like a SeaSonic or a Corsair unit.

Aside from that, a lot of that proprietary software, like Mitchell on demand and AllData, are really only suited to use XP.

You can easily build a unit for cheap.

Something along the lines of:
i3 or if you've got a MC close by a 3570k.
A decent lowend board.
4GB RAM.
A server grade HDD.
A good PSU.
A a case that is sealed up and has filters.

The automotive environment is VERY dirty and dusty. So a good, durable, sealed case with filters is a necessity IMO.

Ok, thanks a lot guys, I was considering Win 7 to take advantage of the cheap ($$$) RAM as future upgrade. I do have to research more if both software are Win 7 compatible as that would be a negative.

I know Dell has cheap builders but I rather build something I know I can fix or work on that have to deal with Dell in the future... I am going to be the one helping him anyways :D

Remember, I am building something that will last him for a long long time... So far, I have looked for things myself and I want you to tell me if I am in the right Track.

3 Fans to add to the case... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209001

CORSAIR PSU... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-101612-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17139026-L0D

APU + MOBO COMBO... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1068130

CRUCIAL BALLISTIX RAM... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

OCZ VERTEX SSD 64GB... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1612-_-EMC-101612-Index-_-SSD-_-20227811-LM1A

500GB HDD... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...612-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22148767-L0B

SAMSUNG DVD BURNER... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MC-101612-Index-_-CDDVDBurners-_-27151256-L0C

I believe that with all the Promo Codes and MiR, I can build this for cheap and good quality brands?... Yes? No? ;)

I cannot recommend that particular SSD since it's an OCZ, which has had a history of relatively poor reliability and subpar customer service quality (company-wise). In addition, that particular SSD is an older design with a relatively slow controller, and its write speed is slower than some mechanical hard drives.

And I do not count rebates in the final cost unless I actually have the rebate checks and/or prepaid debit cards in my hands. And many rebate requests have been declined by the fulfillment company and/or lost in the mail.

Last edited:
Definitely not good considering that the FM1 platform is effectively dead due to the release of the FM2 platform. As such, spare parts and support will be hard to find for this later on. Considering that the case only has 80mm fans, I'd go with an Intel CPU since it'll use significantly less power and generates less heat which means that the 80mm fans won't be too much of a liability.

I agree with everything that E4g1e said.

Which APU + Mobo combo would you recommend around that price then?

Ok on the OCZ, will try to find another one

Which APU + Mobo combo would you recommend around that price then?
I recommend this:
$66 - Intel Pentium G630 CPU
$108 - Biostar B75MU3+ LGA 1155 Intel B75 mATX Motherboard + G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM Combo
---
Total: $174 shipped.
Ok on the OCZ, will try to find another one
If you're looking for good quality SSDs, you should be looking around the 128GB size mark and the Samsung 830 or Crucial m4 series for best bang for the buck value. As you saw, the reason why the OCZ SSD was cheap was because it was crap. So in other words, the more you pay, the higher the chance of you getting a better part.

I wouldn't bother with 80mm fans. If the case can support 120mm fans, just get one.

I recommend this:
$66 - Intel Pentium G630 CPU
$108 - Biostar B75MU3+ LGA 1155 Intel B75 mATX Motherboard + G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM Combo
---
Total: $174 shipped.
So then... the Intel Duo Core will be better (ie: Faster) than the AMD Quad Core? Am I understanding this correctly? or probable less or the same but I will have more choices down the road if there is a need to upgrade a component? :confused:

Sorry for being Thick Headed... :p

I wouldn't bother with 80mm fans. If the case can support 120mm fans, just get one.
Well, like I said before... the PC will be in a small office room with A/C blasting all day. I would probably say between 72 to 75 degree at all times... this is why I decided to go with the 80mm fans. Also because the case already has the holes for the fans already made... I am not much of a Handy Man :D

So then... the Intel Duo Core will be better (ie: Faster) than the AMD Quad Core? Am I understanding this correctly? or probable less or the same but I will have more choices down the road if there is a need to upgrade a component? :confused:

Sorry for being Thick Headed... :p

Remember, AMD's quad-core CPUs of the Llano generation are only about as fast as a five-year-old Intel quad-core ("Core 2 Quad") CPU (performance-wise). This is because the Llano architecture (on the CPU side) cannot perform anywhere near as many operations as Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs per clock cycle. Plus, the new FM2 socket being introduced will be completely incompatible with FM1, making the FM1 socket that current A-series APUs use completely obsolete.

Well I wouldn't get any fans then. 80mm fans are loud. Just get an aftermarket cpu cooler with a 120mmred fan like a 212+ and be done.

OP, just so you know, I have been using AllDATA v10.40 with zero problems on windows 7

Ahhhh, Thanks... Valuable Information~

@ wtourist... also thanks, I saw a Duo Core on the Shell Shocker but it was an Ivy Bridge and for what I read when I googled the difference... they run hotter than the Sandy Bridges and performance gains are minimal at best

If noboy has any objections to the Intel + AsRock H77... I think I am going to start pulling the pin later on today. :D

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB
$15.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$84.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$44.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
$41.99

ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
$54.99

Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G850
$69.99

ARCTIC COOLING ARCTIC F8 AFACO-08000-GBA01 80mm Case Fan
($7.99 each)

Subtotal: $328.92

Minus all the Promo codes and Instant Rebates, I am down to about 310.00 cheeseburgers. I decided to pay a little more with Neweggs for the Fans because they will go FREE Shipping instead of paying more in Shipping with Amazon.

Last edited:
You do realize those two 80mm fans you've bought will do absolutely nothing to help/aid in the cooling. You would have seen real world lower temperatures with a $30 tower cooler with a 120mm fan on it. Otherwise, those two 80mm fans would have, at the most, probably helped lower the CPU temperature by like 1*C. If that.

Also that's not a good PSU, if you can cancel the order do so.
Get the Antec Earthwatts EA-380D PSU.

Perhaps you are right, the case did not have any fans anyways and since it will be inside the office with the a/c going, it may not even need it... I was just wanting to have a little better inside air flow. Perhaps I won't even bother with them.

Thanks

OK, so, switching the Corasir PSU to the Antec EA-380D... everything else is good then?

P
OK, so, switching the Corasir PSU to the Antec EA-380D... everything else is good then?

No, that AsRock is a bit expensive at $62 shipped. What was wrong with my Biostar recommendation earlier?

Sorry Danny, I just thought it wasn't compatible with the CPU recommended by Skillz... I do appreciate everyone's input on this one, sometimes, I am just a little impatient and or confused by the amount of options.

I want to take the moment to Thank everyone, specially Danny Bui because this is going to be the 3rd or 4th time he has help me with my builds.

Back