MB suggestions, TForce + 939Dual are close but...

Corvette

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been out of the loop for a while, well since I built the computer in my sig :cool:, and thought that maybe you could take some time to catch me up in a small niche. The realm of budget AMD computing seems to get lost in the need for the latest and greatest.

I've seen some people who like their TForce or ASRock 939Duals a lot but the TForce has the onboard video and the 939 Dual has the AGP and PCI slots for video cards. I was initially looking for a solid budget board and these two seem to offer options I don't need. Mostly I am looking for the best board for my dollar that fits in the price range of these two (maybe a little higher).

The things I do like about these boards are that they both seem to have some automatic OC'ing abilities that I'd probably take advantage of, but is this something that most companies offer now days? I also like that there are lots of people out there using them and can share experiences and help diagnose problems. Of course both seem to be very high in the price to performance ratio.

As far as how I'm going to use the computer. Light gaming, internet surfing, some work related software, and maybe a little bit of video editing. SLI does not appeal to me in any way, the kind of games I play will never need that kind of processing power so I'd like to avoid paying for that option. I'm looking at maybe putting in 1 to 2 gigs of RAM and just about any processor is better than my 2500+ so one that offers excellent bang for the buck and maybe OC's in the range that the board suggested would handle easily.

Thanks,
Vette

I'm looking to upgrade my AthlonXP to an AMD 64 3200+. Since I recently bought an x800 GTO (AGP), I need a 939 board with an AGP. I'm 99% sure I'll be getting the Asus A8V Pro.

Another good board is the ASRock 939SLI32 with SATA II, but this board also has two PCI-E slots, which I don't need. Plus the layout of the board looks like it'll conflict with my x800 and the big Zalman heatsink I'm planning to buy it.

I appreciate the suggestion Neptune, but I was thinking of going PCI-E since the TI-4800 is a little long in the tooth. I should have been more specific. When I looked on Newegg I saw that ASRock had some models with N-Force chipsets, are those any good or are there better options? Also, the ULi chipset seems to be a good deal and have solid performance. Are there any other boards using that chipset that are worth the money?

Vette

i have no experience with the asrock, but i had a tforce since october until about 2 days ago and its a great board. it only has 2 sata slots, tho. really good overclocker, has some pre set overclocking options, but the board can do a lot better than these. most can do over 300 htt, and ram compatibilty is not a prob. one of the earlier revs of the board had a problem with the built in lan. most are ok .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128286
gigabyte has a agp board thats nf3 atx and its a good board .ive used it in 2 builds about 3 months ago and it worked great.its about 65.00 on newegg.mite want to give it a look.
the asrock dual sata 2 is also a great board with the option of using either agp or pcie.and its about 67.00 or so.i like them both but the asrock is a solution that will last you longer.

Back