Maybe a dumb Win7 question

-MikeHawk-

Limp Gawd
Im using a audigy PCI soundcard & Win7 64bit. When using certain sound apps like winamp/WMP etc. Even a browser. If somethings playing on media player/winamp & the browser starts playing audio. The media player/winamp audio lowers, almost mutes it. I've been trying to to figure it out w/the audio settings. But have been unable to stop it. If there's a sound setting I'm missing I would appreciate a little info. Thanks in advance.

I'm having trouble understanding what is going on. In Windows 7, there is a universal volume, which means if you lower the voume in WMP, it should also lower the volume for Winamp, etc. Gone are the days of lowering the voume in one app, only to have it blasting in another.

Deacon if you hit mixer at the bottom of the volume slider you can control volume on the application level. And I love how changing the main volume slider readjusts all others proportionately.

For example I keep system sounds at about 50% of all other audio. And if I lover the primary slide all other sliders drop too and it does it in a way that keeps my system sounds at 50% volume in relation to the other apps.

But I am just using on board audio on all 3 of my Win7 systems. I am not sure if things would act the same if I were to install my old PCI card.

And OP sorry I really can’t help you other than to say if you systems sound still works like mine. Setting the appropriate application sliders to your desired volume level in the mixer should prevent what you’re experiencing.

Well I could be listening to WMP & goto a web page that's playing audio, & my WMP audio will get lower. Like the audio gets muted, so you can hear the web page play. When I close the web page or goto a diff one. It sometimes raises the WMP audio back up. It's not lowering it on the player either. Just the playback. The audio from the web page is playing @ normal levels. While my media players audio gets lower. Not sure how to explain it any other way.
It's pretty simple. Just not sure how to turn this off. Didn't do this on Vista. But now on Win7 Pro it is.

Found it BTW ... in Win7 they added a communications tab.

When Windows detects communications. It was set to lower volume by 80% :rolleyes:

So it's off now & there's the info for anyone else.

Back