Mass Effect 3 being further dumbed down

It wasn't big for players' tastes though. It added a lot of replayability which is important if your forking over $50 for just a 20-30 hour game. I doubt they flesh out the new characters much better than all the old ones. Just budget cutting.

Most of the characters in ME2 weren't as flashed out as other Bioware characters. Some of the characters were pretty one dimensional.

Most of the characters in ME2 weren't as flashed out as other Bioware characters. Some of the characters were pretty one dimensional.

That's true, but I prefer ME2's story over ME's because of the pacing. You can have things fleshed out to the extent that they become tedious, but I thought ME2 was better put-together than the first because of its comparable vapidity.

I was annoyed as anyone when I heard ME2 was being dumbed-down, as I loved ME despite being late to the party. When it was released though I loved it, and replaying ME now I'm not so impressed with that. I think ME2 was a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed ME3 is too.

I played the two for the first time one right after the other. I think by the time I finished ME2 I recognized that it was about as good as the first one in my mind. But the first 3-4 hours of playing it I was pissed... because of where they took the story and also because of the gameplay changes.

This pretty much sums up the loyalty missions and "character driven plot" of me2:

me2loyaltymissionsbygam.jpg

Those are pretty common motivations... besides Grunt hopefully. Not sure what you were looking for.

Those are pretty common motivations... besides Grunt hopefully. Not sure what you were looking for.

Ah, so that explains why a lot of people were disappointed with Mass Effect 2. They were expecting an uncommon high-quality game when in fact Mass Effect 2 was supposed to be a common game all along?

I didn't hate Mass Effect 2 like a lot of people did, but I didn't feel it came anywhere close to matching all the hype Bioware built around it and thought *overall* it did not improve upon Mass Effect 1.

Ah, so that explains why a lot of people were disappointed with Mass Effect 2. They were expecting an uncommon high-quality game when in fact Mass Effect 2 was supposed to be a common game all along?
I don't think you understood my point. :confused:

I didn't hate Mass Effect 2 like a lot of people did, but I didn't feel it came anywhere close to matching all the hype Bioware built around it and thought *overall* it did not improve upon Mass Effect 1.

Well, to be fair - any developer can be excited about their game and talk about it a lot - but the truth is that hype is a product of fans, not developers. WE create the hype. We hear one piece of news and it just goes way out of proportion. For example, this thread and all of the people crying that its a terrible game before they've ever even seen any actual gameplay. Not hype in your traditional form, but more like "anti-hype". More like...hell, I don't know, hysteria? :p

In any case, developers can say all they want, I mean they do all the time, anyways. The fact is that people take what they say and run with it like it's absolute truth. They blow it out of proportion in both positive and negative lights. Whether it's good or bad hype - WE are the ones responsible for taking it out of control like that and getting hopes up.

I can't deny, though, the fact that I expect certain things from developers when they promise those things. And I can't deny the fact that I am let down from time to time. My bad, though, for taking their word for it ahead of time. :D

I'll wait till they show what they actually did to make it appeal to a "larger market" before speculation and bitching. The only aspect of ME2 I did not like was the idea of weapons clips.

snip.

I can't deny, though, the fact that I expect certain things from developers when they promise those things. And I can't deny the fact that I am let down from time to time. My bad, though, for taking their word for it ahead of time. :D

You know, its smart to not believe everything you hear from developers, or trailers. :rolleyes:

I have to say I'm having a hard time getting into the first Mass Effect after loving every minute of ME2. The shooting mechanics are just godawful and after dying because of popping out of cover for some reason when it shouldn't have and losing a bit of gameplay I had to turn it off.

yes the game wasn't as good as the first game, but i like that they're willing to change things. it makes me happy to think that if they had such a great game with the first one but were willing to make drastic changes to the way the game worked, then this 2nd one, which i still enjoyed, will get plenty of changes to make it better also.

i played through the first game like 9 or 10 times. i won't make it through that many times with the 2nd, but still 5 or 6.

I'll wait till they show what they actually did to make it appeal to a "larger market" before speculation and bitching. The only aspect of ME2 I did not like was the idea of weapons clips.

This is far too much rational logic for this forum. Please add something fictitious, further speculative, or wildly inaccurate to your posts to earn full participation.

This is far too much rational logic for this forum. Please add something fictitious, further speculative, or wildly inaccurate to your posts to earn full participation.

ME2 was already far too dumbed down for most PC gamers' tastes. Anything else they do to it is just icing on the shit cake.

That's true, but I prefer ME2's story over ME's because of the pacing. You can have things fleshed out to the extent that they become tedious, but I thought ME2 was better put-together than the first because of its comparable vapidity.

I was annoyed as anyone when I heard ME2 was being dumbed-down, as I loved ME despite being late to the party. When it was released though I loved it, and replaying ME now I'm not so impressed with that. I think ME2 was a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed ME3 is too.

Yeah, the ME2 pacing was perfect. I think a lot of that has to do with them making it more linear.

Yeah, the ME2 pacing was perfect. I think a lot of that has to do with them making it more linear.

I think thats the biggest gripe most have on this forum, they want it to be more sanbox like the first one. I personaly loved both.

Back