Mars Landing Video Taken Down After Bogus Copyright Claim

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying YouTube needs to pull its head out of its ass when it comes to stuff like this but....ummm...well, I guess I am saying that. :eek:

The video was gone, replaced with an alien message: “This video contains content from Scripps Local News, who has blocked it on copyright grounds. Sorry about that.” That is to say, a NASA-made video posted on NASA’s official YouTube channel, documenting the landing of a $2.5 billion Mars rover mission paid for with public taxpayer money, was blocked by YouTube because of a copyright claim by a private news service.

yeah youtube's "contentID" automated service is garbage, My company, a news agency, had footage of from a police helicopter, and magically youtube thought it was some random song, even though there was NO music, just chopper noise and police chatter.

A lot of our videos get auto-flagged, it is especially terrible when it is something like a local event and the "star spangled banner" causes an auto-flag.

Funny how the article contradicts itself saying first it's a copyright claim by a private news service then that it's the goddamn YouTube’s DMCA bots' fault, which of course it is. Nothing new there...

Not surprised. A lot of legitimate videos have been flagged and removed by the flawless algorithm of Google.

Cool video, though. I'm a space nerd, I watch every piece of space footage I can find. I was a bit startled, though, at @2:56 - I could swear that the back of that guy's monitor said, "Fuk U"...

I can't see what is wrong with it you got people with lawyers on one side and people with lawyers on the other side and youtube is just doing what the lawyers are telling them otherwise they can get a lawsuit.

Why would they even allow DMCA on certain channels is another question ....

Funny how the article contradicts itself saying first it's a copyright claim by a private news service then that it's the goddamn YouTube’s DMCA bots' fault, which of course it is. Nothing new there...

How is that a contradiction? Unless you're saying that no input (video A is copyrighted to entity XYZ) was given at all to the DMCA bots, and then since there is no such input, any takedown they will make would not be based on the "Content ID" system, and therefore they are actually self-aware and intentionally brought down that video...

Well when a private news service makes a claim, it doesnt just automatically nuke the video. And I'm sure they get enough claims that they dont have a person manually check them all. They have a DMCA bot check all the claims.

So a claim by a private news service triggered the DMCA bot to check. While that's not necessarily what happened, its not necessarily as contradictory as it seems

yeah youtube's "contentID" automated service is garbage, My company, a news agency, had footage of from a police helicopter, and magically youtube thought it was some random song, even though there was NO music, just chopper noise and police chatter.

To be fair, some music nowadays does sound like garbage. ;)

so go to NASA's website and watch the videos from there instead. Problem solved.

Wasn't there a video a couple of months ago, that a video some guy made became viral. So a news channel showed a clip of it. And that caused the original video that had been on the internet for like a year before going viral, to be blocked?

Wasn't there a video a couple of months ago, that a video some guy made became viral. So a news channel showed a clip of it. And that caused the original video that had been on the internet for like a year before going viral, to be blocked?

I think it was Leno? Could be wrong, though.

The copyright and patent systems in the US, and around much of the world, are horribly broken. This is merely a high-profile case of an epidemic that otherwise gets largely ignored outside of the internet. Expect it to continue to get worse. Much worse.

so go to NASA's website and watch the videos from there instead. Problem solved.

:rolleyes: Ummm, yeah...NOT. That's not the issue and if you can't realize that...

The copyright and patent systems in the US, and around much of the world, are horribly broken. This is merely a high-profile case of an epidemic that otherwise gets largely ignored outside of the internet. Expect it to continue to get worse. Much worse.

Agreed, 100%. This is going to get out of control before it gets better. Especially with the money being spent by the industry on lobbying.

That's why I go to vimeo, or those who feel like going to China for their streaming needs, Tudou. Vimeo for Japanese music videos that they block foreigners from viewing on youtube, even though some of them will never get released outside of Japan anyway...

:rolleyes: Ummm, yeah...NOT. That's not the issue and if you can't realize that...

Agreed, 100%. This is going to get out of control before it gets better. Especially with the money being spent by the industry on lobbying.

Isn't the US gov't heavily influenced by lobbyists these days, or am I wrong?

So... :rolleyes: maybe explain why I'm wrong instead of :rolleyes: being like this? I thought I read that someone else took NASA's video and posted it on YouTube. Seeing your snide comment made me go back and re-read it and saw that it was NASA's own contribution that was flagged. But thanks for your feedback :rolleyes:

How is that a contradiction? Unless you're saying that no input (video A is copyrighted to entity XYZ) was given at all to the DMCA bots, and then since there is no such input, any takedown they will make would not be based on the "Content ID" system, and therefore they are actually self-aware and intentionally brought down that video...

Well when a private news service makes a claim, it doesnt just automatically nuke the video. And I'm sure they get enough claims that they dont have a person manually check them all. They have a DMCA bot check all the claims.

So a claim by a private news service triggered the DMCA bot to check. While that's not necessarily what happened, its not necessarily as contradictory as it seems

Not sure what you don't understand, saying the TV network made a copyright claim, and then saying no, there was no claim from the TV network, it's all the YouTube DMCA bot that automatically flagged the video is a total contradiction.

As far as I understand, one of the ways the bot works is based on timestamps, which is why so many legit videos are taken down. The TV network must have posted some of the Mars landing footage before NASA did, so in the view of the bot, it's NASA who is breaching copyright.

I don't really know, but I assume the videos are split into samples that each get bit-summed or something, so it's easy to instantly compare sequences of identical bitsums between videos to find out identical content and take it down. YouTube does that for audio tracks already and is apparently smart enough to identify songs even when they are played at a different speed.

A lot of our videos get auto-flagged, it is especially terrible when it is something like a local event and the "star spangled banner" causes an auto-flag.

That happens because the US allows the RIAA to continue to exist and to sue everyone ever because piracy exists and has been proven* to significantly lower recording artist revenues**.

*: Not using actual math
**: Actually means record company revenues

And then Google has to play by the rules that our corrupt government allows the RIAA to create and (often) have passed into law.

Far worse is the "Video has been deleted due to terms of use violation".

They don't tell you what you violated, its very difficult to contact google/youtube, and when you do manage to find the form its actually a bot response as I tried five times and got the same answer that had absolutely nothing to do with my question (it was just a keyword detection reply).

So finally checking their forums, its a common problem. Someone complains about a video, it is reviewed by a person, but then on a whim its deleted.

It doesn't matter if it has half a million views and there is no way to appeal a mistake.

Cool video, though. I'm a space nerd, I watch every piece of space footage I can find. I was a bit startled, though, at @2:56 - I could swear that the back of that guy's monitor said, "Fuk U"...

The guy's name is Fuk Li, he happens to be the director for the Mars Exploration Directorate at NASA/JPL. Sorry, just wanted to correct that because I've seen a couple folks absolutely sure that they saw what they thought they saw :)

Now to our regularly scheduled topic...

Ah and another annoying thing, had the TV playing while playing with my cats and they did something hilarious (quasi backflip poorly landed), so I uploaded the vid to youtube, and then rather than have a stupid advertisement on it it was outright blocked for copyright infringement.

I used the appeal form stating its fair use, citing the law, and explaining that the background audio is not the focus of the video and not of any quality to infringe, but they virtually instantly counter-appealed the appeal (no way a person was that fast), and once that is done that is it. Appeal process is over.

The guy's name is Fuk Li, he happens to be the director for the Mars Exploration Directorate at NASA/JPL. Sorry, just wanted to correct that because I've seen a couple folks absolutely sure that they saw what they thought they saw :)

Now to our regularly scheduled topic...

The first guy had a nervous tick which looked like he was having a little extra curricular fun below the table which my wife couldn't help but giggle over the whole time it was on last night.

The first guy had a nervous tick which looked like he was having a little extra curricular fun below the table which my wife couldn't help but giggle over the whole time it was on last night.

I saw that, I also distinctly heard someone say "holy shit" shortly after touchdown which is kind of funny considering how much they tried to make it a family friendly event.

Well at least you know it's a true live streamed event if a "holy shit" gets broadcasted on the stream :)
The guy that said it was looking at the telemetry data and said it before the official announcement came over the speaker, so you clearly heard "holy shit!" and then applause.

An incredible achievement by our government funded space program. This is the most complete instrument package ever successfully sent to Mars and will vastly increase our understanding of an incredibly ancient and complex environment. Astonishing!

Back