Marantz SR7000 receiver for $100, thoughts?

leetpyro

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

So right now for my PC setup I'm using Energy C-100s powered by a Sonic Impact T-Amp along with a Klipsch Sub-10. Really happy with it, but been having problems with the amp recently (left channel cuts off randomly, only seems to fix when I turn amp off and on multiple times).

But anyway, I recently came across this Marantz SR7000 on craigslist for $100. Apparently its in near-mint condition. Can anyone comment on this? Is this receiver worth it?

Edit: Also found an Onkyo TX-SR500 for the same price

Last edited:
Marantz is great for music, at least to my ears. Would not consider any Onkyo. Go for the Sr7000 eyes closed.

I've got the SR8001 for my PC. Better go buy that SR7000 before I do!! ;)

It's nice for a basic 5.1 surround sound Dolby Digital & DTS receiver without any bells or whistles. I bought a SR7200 about 2 years ago for $115 off of craigslist and I love it.

Agreed with everyone else, that Marantz sounds ideal for your setup. If it was for the most modern home theater that connects everything under the sun, the Marantz may be too old to have all the ports necessary for the modern equipment. However, if it is just for connecting and powering the sound system of your PC it is fine.

The amp on the Marantz is more robust than some of the other brands and Marantz is usually focused on quality over features. So for music only, it is one of the better choices though for features it falls behind brands such as Onkyo.

Since it is a 7000 (the last digit usually signifies its age while the first digit its available power), it is about 4 or 5 years old but that is no problem once again for music only.

Please tell me your joking OP. Do you know why you are having trouble with that amp? Its a low-powered single-ended triode amplifier. Its a powerful as the amp you would get in a old tv system.

that's a good receiver its from their middle line

Please tell me your joking OP. Do you know why you are having trouble with that amp? Its a low-powered single-ended triode amplifier. Its a powerful as the amp you would get in a old tv system.

that's a good receiver its from their middle line

No I'm not joking =P

And the amp doesn't have much power, but it's still pretty nice for what it is. And I don't think I'm having problems because I'm not getting enough power, I think its more that something is loose inside the amp. The left channel seems to cut out at random sometimes, but I can also make it cut out by slightly hitting my desk =\

Why do you say that I'll only want to use the optical inputs?

On my SR7200 the Bass & Treble controls don't work on the analog inputs therefore it can sound "weak". I generally don't like bass & treble controls but I've needed to use them with the speakers I've had for it to sound "fuller".

don't you mean the 7002?

No, the SR7200 is from 2000 and the SR7002 is from 2004.

SR7200:
marantz_sr7200.jpg

SR7002:
marantz_sr7002.gif

On my SR7200 the Bass & Treble controls don't work on the analog inputs therefore it can sound "weak". I generally don't like bass & treble controls but I've needed to use them with the speakers I've had for it to sound "fuller".

Oh okay, well I guess I can always play around with it to see what I like.

Now I'm just really hoping this guy responds, because I really want the receiver lol

Damn it, it's been sold already! =(

My search continues...
I did find a Marantz SR3001 for $150 though.. Any thoughts on that compared to the 7000?

Thanks again! :)

Damn it, it's been sold already! =(

My search continues...
I did find a Marantz SR3001 for $150 though.. Any thoughts on that compared to the 7000?

Thanks again! :)
It's a good receiver. Doesn't have the power of the 7000, but should be excellent for a PC audio setup.

It's a good receiver. Doesn't have the power of the 7000, but should be excellent for a PC audio setup.

Yep.

Unless you are running extremely insensitive 4ohm speakers, it'll be fine.

Awesome, I'll try to get it as soon as I can :)

Also, do you guys know anything about the DAC in that thing? I'm running off my onboard soundcard right now.. I'm sure there must be an increase in sound quality if I were to use optical out right?

Edit: Oh yea, and this is my first time buying a used receiver, so is there anything I should be checking for specifically.. You know, other than the fact that it powers on and makes sound? xD

And thanks so much guys, really appreciate the help!

Make sure the remote works, test it with speakers, turn up the volume. Bring two small speakers if possible.

The remote is not a necessity though right? Would the receiver have all the functions of the remote available on the receiver itself? I'm not sure if he still has the remote, I'll have to double check with him

EDIT: Nvm, he said he has everything except for the box =)

Correct, you don't need the remote, but it's nice to have. If the remote ever fails, you can get a Logitech Harmony that can be programmed to operate your 3001. I bought a Harmony 300 for about $35 to replace my 8001's remote after it got crushed during some recent office reorganizing. The Harmony works better than the original.

The remote is not a necessity though right? Would the receiver have all the functions of the remote available on the receiver itself? I'm not sure if he still has the remote, I'll have to double check with him

EDIT: Nvm, he said he has everything except for the box =)

It's not an absolute necessity, however sometimes functions will only be on the remote - not on the device itself. Another scenario is that certain functions are easier to operate with the remote, than without it.

If he didn't have it, I'd want a lower price.

Okay great, he has the remote anyway so all is good, and I got him to lower the price anyway ;D

Also, can you comment on the DAC? Would you recommend I hook up the receiver using optical out from my mobo considering I'm running off an on-board soundcard right now?

I would definitely advise you to use digital out from onboard to the receiver. Don't even consider using onboard DAC instead of a Marantz receiver, i would have to come and slap you if you did :p

Sounds like an absolute bargain you have there mate, the only thing that i have ever experienced negatively with Marantz is near useless manuals and confusing remotes, that is all.. i've only ever owned 1 briefly and setup 2 or 3 for others though.

Haha alright, I don't really wanna get slapped now =P

But yea pretty excited to get this now, I just gotta wait for a day we're both free and go test it/pick it up! :D

It's about 11 years old:

http://www.audio-ideas.com/backiss/fall-2000/marantz-7000.html

It looks like it's the model before my SR7200, if it's anything like that you'll only want to use the optical inputs.

Whoa thanks and my bad. I didn't realize it was that old. If I recall the first number is for the power (higher the number, the higher the power), the second number I think is for configuration (I think a "0" represents 5.1 or 7.1 can't remember, and a "2" represents 2.1), and the third number I have no idea, and the fourth number goes up in series with newer systems. I guess time has passed a lot more than I realized. Thanks.

Looks like $150 is a good price to start. Of course it's fully working in new condition, remote, manual...

Back