Many new Dell VA monitors coming. 22-27"

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
If this is correct, Dell is switching almost it's entire P series monitors from TN panels to VA panels.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/24.htm#new_dell_monitors
P2712H - 27" VA panel, new model - Aug/Sept
P2412H - 24" VA panel, replacement for the P2411H - Aug/Sept
P2312H - 23" VA panel, replacement for the P2311H - Nov/Dec
P2212H - 22" VA panel, replacement for the P2211H - Nov/Dec

ST2730L - new 27" touch screen TN Film panel with HDMI, DVI and VGA - May/June 2012
S2330MX - new 23" Ultra thin VA panel with HDMI, DVI, VGA
S2230MX - new 22" Ultra thin VA panel with HDMI, DVI, VGA

Edit:

Apparently TFTCentral was given false info. They are TN panels.

Last edited:
Brilliant! I've been wanting to buy a monitor with one of the newer *VA panels, but have been sceptical going for Benq given the poor electronics (overdrive) and QA issues. I have better hopes of Dell doing a good job - bring it on! Oh, and please make those 24 inchers 16:10.
16:10 P2412H alongside U2412M - those will be interesting times!

after buying a BenQ 2400 a few years back and finding out how CRAP their monitors are I would wait for a good manufacturer to go with ( are there any ) LOL

can't wait to see test of the P2712H - 27"

Last edited:
Great news for those of us that prefer the look of a VA monitor over IPS. I never could get into IPS after using my 2408wfp and my 2 1907fpv's I picked up real cheap of craigslist (35 a piece) (tried the u2410 and 2209wa as well as looking at the apple displays in the stores). The contrast just isn't there and the white glow kills it for me. Glad to see dell giving us an option again.

Something tells me, these are all going to be 16:9. Which is kind of sad. I've been looking for a set of 1920x1200 monitors to go on my sides that wont break my wallet.

Something tells me, these are all going to be 16:9. Which is kind of sad. I've been looking for a set of 1920x1200 monitors to go on my sides that wont break my wallet.

P2412H - 24" VA panel, replacement for the P2411H - Aug/Sept
P2312H - 23" VA panel, replacement for the P2311H - Nov/Dec

This would imply that the 24" will be 16:10.

Sorry, I'm just now starting to shop for a new display again. What is VA? I'm familiar with IPS and TFT.

All of the current p series are 16:9 to my knowledge (including 24"), and I believe it has been stated that the H denotes a 16:9 monitors....or at least it does on the ultrasharps.

Edit: Haunted. Look at the TFT technology sticky.

@khwain, you are correct, though i don't see why they'd make both 23" and 24" 16:9 displays. You are correct on the H suffix as well.

I find it more confusing that the 24" doesn't come in 16:10, since it would make a more inexpensive compliment to their 24" ultrasharp @_@

All of the current p series are 16:9 to my knowledge (including 24"), and I believe it has been stated that the H denotes a 16:9 monitors....or at least it does on the ultrasharps.

Edit: Haunted. Look at the TFT technology sticky.

U2711 has no "h," yet has 16:9 (but sheer resolution to counter that :p)

I might be interested in the 27" I currently have a Samsung 2333T and even tho its a bare bones model its my first VA panel and it's nice having an LCD with proper black levels.

I originally bought it thinking I would use the TN for gaming and the VA for the rest but I ended up using the VA for everything and the TN is now the secondary.

I see no point unless these will offer a 3,000:1 contrast ratio. Now that IPS has crossed the 1000:1 contrast mark (Dell U2412) and have better response times these are going to be a tough sell for anything but general usage. Granted they will be a lot better for offices/text work if they don't have aggressive AG coating.

I see no point unless these will offer a 3,000:1 contrast ratio. Now that IPS has crossed the 1000:1 contrast mark (Dell U2412) and have better response times these are going to be a tough sell for anything but general usage. Granted they will be a lot better for offices/text work if they don't have aggressive AG coating.

It wont be a hard sale for me, IPS black levels are NOT that impressive and IPS Glow is not a cool feature.

It wont be a hard sale for me, IPS black levels are NOT that impressive and IPS Glow is not a cool feature.

I prefer IPS glow over gamma shifting present in the latest A-MVA panels like the BenQ EW2420...

Let's not turn this into an IPS vs *VA thread though. We just need to wait and see how these displays perform. Hopefully there's an improvement in response time over displays like the aforementioned BenQ, which I hated :)

Dell should get a glossy screen line. :) The Dell ST2220T is the best screen Dell sell right now, IMHO.

I don't want to turn it into an IPS vs PVA thread, but I am very interested in a new 16:9 monitor for gaming and PC use. Was looking at the new U2311HM but am now even more confused!

If these end up being AUO A-MVA panels the higher amount of gamma shift and response time would be detrimental, even compared to Samsung cPVA or S-PVA panels.

The two improvements A-MVA panels have made from AUO lately are supremely improved black levels and 8-bit versus 6-bit color of the old models.

Unfortunately the response time has actually worsened, and I don't think there is any overdrive process that can fix that.

One can hope these will be Samsung panels. They had much better gamma shift characteristics than the A-MVA panels from AUO. But considering the price I doubt it.

unlikely Dell would switch so many models to VA.

I'll call BS on this info

T2730L - new 27" touch screen TN Film panel with HDMI, DVI and VGA - May/June 2012

I expected displayport.

as long as the 27" is 1440p and more affordable than the 2711 with a much less harsh ag I'd be down for it.

In response to "What does M mean as a suffix on Dell monitors" I believe it denotes it's using LED backlighting instead of CCFL.

As for my own question, isn't a big drawback of *VA technology that it's almost impossible to use them in any orientation other than the default? Aka portrait looks as bad or worse than a TN does? Cause that's the main reason IPS is more appealing to me, with Dell's great stands I swap between 3x1 portrait and landscape quite often depending on what I'm doing.

M means DVI & L must be HDMI

Reference ST2220M Versus ST2220L

Last edited:
Hmm I'm betting the 27" VA will be 1920x1080 like the Benq 27" VA.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

But still, its response time will probably not be good enough for gaming.

(trying to convince myself I made the right choice by ordering the U2412M :) )

Hmmm i was planing to buy the Apple 27" LED Cinema Display because i can't find any other good looking monitors with a great picture but maybe i will wait a bit to see how does Dell S2330MX look like.

I want a great looking thin monitor with a great picture, can't find any that's not using a TN panel, except the ACD which is expensive and i would also need a new graphics card with a mini displayport for it, lots of money!

Hmmm i was planing to buy the Apple 27" LED Cinema Display because i can't find any other good looking monitors with a great picture but maybe i will wait a bit to see how does Dell S2330MX look like.

If you want 27" Apple, it really does not matter how whatever 2330 looks like.

If you want 27" Apple, it really does not matter how whatever 2330 looks like.

Why not, maybe it will have a sick design and it will be a VA panel which i have right now.

I have Samsung 971p already for 6-7 years, it has a S-PVA panel i think. I didn't exchnage it because i couldn't' find anything better.

All monitors with a nice design have a worse picture then my Samsung because most of them are TN and the ones with a similar good picture or better look like crap, ACD is the only one that looks great and performs great but well that's my opinion.

Btw is the Dell S2330MX going to be Edge LED or CCFL?

Hmm I'm betting the 27" VA will be 1920x1080 like the Benq 27" VA.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

But still, its response time will probably not be good enough for gaming.

(trying to convince myself I made the right choice by ordering the U2412M :) )

My theory is that you won't see higher than 1080p resolution from any of these screens at any size.

The UltraSharp series will continue to be their top line.

My theory is that you won't see higher than 1080p resolution from any of these screens at any size.

The UltraSharp series will continue to be their top line.

According to the driver of the P2712H the resolution will be 1920x1080.

Very interesting. I love my VA, too bad the 27" looks like a shitty low res model :(

"M" in Dell monitor names stands for Mainstream.

Last edited:
As for my own question, isn't a big drawback of *VA technology that it's almost impossible to use them in any orientation other than the default? Aka portrait looks as bad or worse than a TN does? Cause that's the main reason IPS is more appealing to me, with Dell's great stands I swap between 3x1 portrait and landscape quite often depending on what I'm doing.

Not sure where you heard that. I use S-PVA and A-MVA in portrait with no differences in the picture from landscape.

I'm debating to get a 2333T now for cheap or wait for the newer models. The new VA panels are probably gonna be around $300, twice what the 2333T is.

From this youtube video the panels have 2ms response time, no way it's gonna be VA http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=ddHFazp2CQ0

This is good news because I'm actually looking for a 27" 1080p/1200p monitor and an adjustable stand. I won't be using it for gaming or watching movies in the dark, so my preference is IPS>VA>TN. I find myself straining to read fonts or enlarging webpages on my 23" 1080p monitor, so I'm not interesting in paying a premium for extra resolution.

Hopefully these turn out to be good.

Back