Manufacturers

jegarner

n00b
Hello.

I have some questions that you can maybe answer to me. I'm very confused, and curious how Dell, HP, Toshiba and other computer brands, build their computers. They buy all pieces and built in Personalized Cases for them ? where they buy their monitors (they have ex: HP monitors, but i think they don't build them!) ? In Laptop business, where do they buy their "cases" (i don't know the right word for PC cases in laptops)? They buy theirs processors to INTEL/AMD and put him in laptop "cases" or they buy already builted barebones with everything ?! and to who they buy ?

Please i'm very curious about this. If you know please answer

thnks in advance! ;)

I heard somewhere that Dell makes their own stuff, and thats why there such a pain to upgrade.

They buy a lot of rebadged or OEM gear, there are only a few OEM laptop manufacturers, the big companies just get them rebadged or slightly modified to their specifications.

You have to keep in mind that they aquire their parts in bulk. Bulk being a huge understatement.

Anyone can engineer their own designs and have them made with injection molded plastic or stamped metal. But the cost of doing this for 1 piece would be outrageous. But if you wanted a distinct style and were going to build 500,000 then its not such a concern. Especially if you have a contract with a manufacturing company in a third world country. The cost per unit of a 500,000 order would probably be suprisingly low.

If you ordered stuff from places like newegg, tigerdirect, zipflyzoom, monarch computer etc, you will see stuff labeled as OEM. An OEM can cost several dollars less than a retail version. But, there are usually no "add-ons" like even a manual. But, you can download drivers off the Internet at the manufacturer's web site and even download the manuals in pdf form.

I just built a computer for the first time with parts from Tigerdirect.ca and I found that I had no difficulty with mounting the hardware since the case came with the screws etc and the motherboard came with the IDE cables. Just slide in the DVD and HD inside the case and put the screws on both sides. That's it. I mean, the power connectors go on each and then you connect the IDE cables to them.

upriverpaddler said:
You have to keep in mind that they aquire their parts in bulk. Bulk being a huge understatement.

Anyone can engineer their own designs and have them made with injection molded plastic or stamped metal. But the cost of doing this for 1 piece would be outrageous. But if you wanted a distinct style and were going to build 500,000 then its not such a concern. Especially if you have a contract with a manufacturing company in a third world country. The cost per unit of a 500,000 order would probably be suprisingly low.

So you're saying that they design the "case/chassis" then contact a Case builder to have them made...and then buy OEM parts like motherboard/processor to intel (example) and put them in the chassis made by the other case company?

I've actually seen HPs and Dells in the exact same case aside from the plastic. One day some years back we got this shiny new P4 at work. 1.4 I think, they'd just come out. Since I was working at a remote controlled webcam startup at the time, the first thing we did after firing it up to make sure it worked was pop it open and stuff a video capture card in it. I'm looking at the inside of the thing, and I'm thinking the inside of this case looks really familiar. Then a moment later I realize it's the same basic case as the Dell Dimension Pentium 200 my brother had.

Depending on the OEM, they design the system chassis in-house or contract a design house to do so, under some general guidelines. The chassis manufacturer may also be involved in this phase, but it depends on the situation.

Then the design is manufactured--NOT in a third world country :rolleyes: unless you consider China and Taiwan to be third-world countries. The system board (motherboard) is manufactured similarly. Many of the desktop motherboards you encounter in OEM systems are built by either Asus or Foxconn, or a number of other firms.

I doubt that much of the assembly work is done in the States. Most likely, it's done in Asia somewhere, then it's shipped to the destination.

Basically, OEMs like Dell, HP, etc. buy from ODMs (original design manufacturers), who handle most of the manufacturing and assembly work. A few ODMs include Asus, Foxconn, Compal, Quanta, Acer, Clevo, Arima, Uniwell, and others.

Back