Major compatibility issue with NVidia 400/500-series GPUs & mainboards?

i removed audio and still getting driver kernal recovery error.
Evga sent me this rma card last week and it is doing the same thing.
ram is ok (memtest), corsair tx750w PS with one gtx460.
i install a 8800gt and no issues.
i am at a loss been building pc for over 15years and stumped

Bump the voltage on the PCiE bus.

Been trying to solve my gtx 470 problems for over a month now,my system freezes up in games in varying times, very soon or an hour later... it varies. Freezes in F1 2010, Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, NFS Shift, Quake 4, Civ V. I've been in contract with EVGA tech and am going through their suggestions. BUT so far here's what I've done with no avail.... tried with 3gb of ddr2 6400 and my 8gb of ddr2 8500 same problem... raised the SPP voltage to 1.45v, raised ram voltage incrementally to 2.2v still freezes, reinstalled drivers, ran evga OC scanner on normal and heavy load, NO problem.. but yet I get in game... FREEZES eventually... except one rare occurance I did get to do a 100% race of F1 2010 at SPA.... lowered the core speed and memory speed on the gtx 470 through evga precision and that made it more instable... the card itsn't over heating it runs max 80c and running the gtx fan at 100% didn't seem to make much of a difference... *sigh* Almost willing to jump ship and go ati again... hadn't had on since 9700pro..

Last edited:
my vgpu is at 1.01875v via the evga e=leet program.
my only thing i can think is my corsair tx740w is not running right.

any way to test it.

Had similar issues with my EVGA GTX460 on my EVGA P55 SLI mobo. Actually got a RMA for the card, but decided to at least try a couple fixes until my new 560Ti came in. Turns out it worked flawlessly on a Gigabyte MA785GM mobo. With the card showing no issues on the Gigabyte board, I canceled the RMA and kept the card. Anyway, never could get it working right on the EVGA under the original conditions. I had a LAN coming up, so figured it would be a good time to completely reinstall the OS and everything as it had been a LONG time since a good cleaning. Got the 560ti, but wanted to check out the 460 again...popped it in...flawless. The card has since been moved on to my son's machine (with a twin for SLI) and still no issues. My best guess...just a random driver issue. BTW, his pc had only ever had graphics drivers installed ONCE and they were nvidia as well. My machine has had multiple drivers...both ATI and nvidia...installed and cleaned.

Could be a PSU issue. Actually, I would assume it is the culprit before anything else. Seemingly random instability at stock with graphics cards is often due to messed up PSUs.

mines a thermaltake 850watt psu, and according to the bios system monitor the 12v rail is running at steady 12.03v... doesn't seem to be my problem.. or so i think

I've been running the new OC2 card that Gigabyte sent me when I did an RMA for many months now with no issues. I was insistent, during the RMA process, that I wouldn't get either my actual card back or a replacement of the same card, so they agreed to send me what seems to be a "revision" of the same card (it's clocked slightly higher with slightly different coloring, but otherwise looks the same, though you can still buy both the original OC version and this newer OC2 version, so I'm not sure what the actual difference is in the PCB between the two - if there is any).

I was having the typical random freezes when I could actually get into windows, freezes on Windows7 logging in screen, and sometimes freezes in BIOS. All of that has been fixed and my system has been completely stable with this new card.

I would like to pick up a second to do SLI, but my whole experience with the first card has me hesitating.

Have been using GTX460s,GTX480s and now GTX580s in systems ranging from "old" Q6600/9650 systems to two MSI XPower BB X58 systems and the only issue that's popped up for me was driver restarts with FireFox and Flash. The other system I game on and it's been rock solid (and now has an additional 580 and my first SLI rig). My main rig didn't have the Intel X58 chipset drivers installed which seemed to help but ultimately, I switched to Chrome a week ago and it's been rock solid again.

I've installed numerous driver builds, most without wiping anything clean. Maybe I've been lucky?

i did run mine in a 2nd pc, gigabyte with a 550watt corsair. Same issues when in mine. Evga issued me a rma for the 2nd card now. Hope they look it over, the 2nd one i got had visible dust on top of card by serial number.

Well, I kept my same EVGA GTX 470 SC and went from an EVGA X58 SLI to ASUS P8P67 Pro and now all my problems are gone! I think that's pretty solid evidence that it has nothing to do with OS, drivers, etc., as I didn't change anything but the mobo (and CPU I guess).

Here's to hoping Kepler doesn't have these issues...

Back