Looking to upgrade AMD CPU, suggestions?

W.O.T. Stang

Limp Gawd
Im currently running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600, but im looking to upgrade, possibly to a phenom.

Unfortunatly im running an Nvidia 570 SLI chipset, so i wont be able to take advantage of some of what the phenom has to offer.

Basically im wondering what my best upgrade path would be? If I read correctly, the intel chips have the advantage right now, but i'd like to get something farily highend to keep up. I play a lot of WoW and from what i've heard a lot of the FPS performance is cpu dependent.

Ive been looking at AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION Agena 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Processor - Retail , and AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Retail. But i'm really not sure what the difference is, or even how they stack up to a c2q/ etc.

Any suggestions on the best upgrade? Or what kind of performance increase I will see from my current CPU?

wait til the deneb cores are released next month before going with the 65nm phenoms.. see what the pricing is like.. and even if you dont have an am2+ motherboard a phenom core will work perfectly fine.. just might be a tad slower.. but doubt you will notice any difference even in WoW..

If you can wait then it is better to wait but between those two, get the 125W version because it is cheaper and probably cooler.

according to Abit KN9 SLI your board is not compatible with anything above the X2 series. If you arent dying to do the upgrade I would wait to see what the deneb's come out with.

It doesn't list it as being compatible, however it does not say it is incompatible. Quad cores are not included on that list. However, nonworking e series are. There is a chance Phenoms could work on your board, just google around.

Back