Looking for good 4k or 1440p monitor

punkmanmatthew

Limp Gawd
I just bought a BenQ BL2710PT and it was nice but wasn't please with the sharpenss or clarity of the monitor. I currently have an Asus MX279 1080p monitor and couldn't even really tell a difference between the two other than the color was better on a certain preset the BenQ had.

I want to keep it around $600 or below.

I've used a Macbook pro retina before and the screen blows me away every time.
Is it possible to get a monitor that is comparable? Do I need to get a glossy screen
in order to get those kind of results? Not sure if the BenQ semi glossy/matte screen
caused it to look pretty much like the one I have now?

I was thinking about getting a 4k monitor. I do play games sometimes as well.
What I'm mainly concerned about is the sharpness and clarity. I want it to look
great like the macbooks does. It's just difficult to find a glossy monitor that's 4k
or a good one.

I've checked into the Qnix but don't really want the cheap speakers and cheaply made quality even though the monitor is supposed to look good.

Thanks for any help.

dell has a 27" 5K. i believe it is glossy.

Benq's semi gloss would only beat a glossy retina display when using AMVA panels AHVA panels are just plain IPS

Benq's semi gloss would only beat a glossy retina display when using AMVA panels AHVA panels are just plain IPS

It looks like you are saying that VA panels are IPS panels. You couldn't possibly be that wrong, so is there punctuation to be added that would change the meaning of this unlikely statement?

Edit: I have been tricked. AHVA is AUO's alternative to IPS. Why would you name it that?

Last edited:
It's not an IPS. I think the guy above me is the only one who mentioned that.

Unless I accidentally did up top.

EIther way when I used it it was pretty darn good and angles.

But anyways I think I'm going to get the 24 inch dell 2415q.

From what I hear it has crazy good quality and there is a 27 inch version but it's out of stock everywhere and it prob. won't look as good as the 24.

From what I hear it has crazy good quality and there is a 27 inch version but it's out of stock everywhere and it prob. won't look as good as the 24.

>_> uh, maybe in some bizzaro world, but in the world I live in the size difference alone will make the 27" look amazingly better for everyday use.

And it's in stock at Amazon from what I can see, but I don't know which country you're in.

I just thought that since the 24 has more ppi it would look a little better but not sure?

Having a tough time with which I'll get.

I'm in the US but the good priced ones are all out of stock from what I can see.

THere are a couple on amazon but they are from some other places I don't know of and they are more pricey.

Yep had it set to 1440p.

You can tell a little difference but nothing that spectacular.

I was expecting more out of the 1440p I guess?

I put them side by side and they didn't seem that much different.

It's not an IPS. I think the guy above me is the only one who mentioned that.

I edited my post above yours; I'm sorry if I confused you. The BenQ BL2710PT has an AHVA panel that is functionally very similar to to IPS and not like AMVA panels.

I edited my post above yours; I'm sorry if I confused you. The BenQ BL2710PT has an AHVA panel that is functionally very similar to to IPS and not like AMVA panels.

i apologize if i did not made my point clear:

i do not think that semi glossy AHVA panels from benq are the equal of glossy IPS panels. best benq's panels for the reflection lovers are the semi gloss AMVA , whose higher contrast kind of compensates for the mild haze.

Yep had it set to 1440p.

You can tell a little difference but nothing that spectacular.

I was expecting more out of the 1440p I guess?

I put them side by side and they didn't seem that much different.

That's pretty weird.

Your MX279H has a ppi of 81, a 1440p monitor has a ppi of ~109; that's a big jump. Text didn't appear smaller or sharper on the BL2710PT?

best benq's panels for the reflection lovers are the semi gloss AMVA , whose higher contrast kind of compensates for the mild haze.

I don't see how higher black depth (a term I use lightly) would act as panacea for He Who Hate Matte Coatings and compensate for more vibrant color?

The 1080p AMVA+ coatings should be ~11-13% Haze.
Thats lighter by a few Haze % than most others but they still qualify as semi-gloss/semi-matte (light AG) hybrid coatings.
The real semi gloss have less than 5% Haze.

Yes things were smaller because of the higher resolution but didn't seem too much different.

Nothing even close to the macbook retinas and I don't even like macs.

I just got the Dell 2415q 4k monitor.

It does look good but I think it could look so much better with out the matte
or semi gloss or whatever it is.

You can see the matte screen in front of everything else if you get about a foot away.
Sometimes even from a couple feet if the background color is lighter or bright.

It's kind of annoying. It's just like I have a 1080p screen with more screen real estate.

Last edited:
Choosing a monitor, when you are as picky as we are on this forum, is a matter of choosing the lesser of many evils. There is no such thing as a perfect monitor. (Before the CRT fanatic chimes in, most people want monitors with a display larger than 22.5".)

Removing AG coating is a risky procedure that can irreparably damage the monitor and make it impossible to return on warranty. At least one person on this forum, if not more, has had a bad failure with the process. The results can be very good when successful, but you'll be out a lot of money if it goes bad.

Thanks. I'm not sure how much of a benefit it would be to remove the AG coating?

The matte doesn't seem to be as bad on some older model monitors I've seen before.

The colors seem fine to me now I just really want that clarity like glossy panels have.

I seem to not get the same awesomeness or whatever u want to say feeling out of this
monitor and I think it's only because of the matte.

Or it could be because the panel is small for 4K and its many benefits, which sees greater value at large panel sizes where the extra clarity and screen real estate can be truly utilized.

Seems kind of silly to return a monitor and buy one with higher PPI and a nearly identical coating.

Last edited:
Maybe so.

I would think thought since the 24 inch has a higher PPI it would look better or is
that not true?

No, the opposite is true. The higher the PPI+matte coating, the less sharp and more sparkly/grainy a monitor will appear. This is why most people hated the Dell U2711 since it uses the strongest matte coating available and has very high PPI. This is also why 4K is a gimmick aside from offering more desktop real-estate in large monitors (32"). None of the 4K monitors have motion interpolation or back-light strobing, and most are matte or are glossy and use PWM.

Would a 1440p glossy look better than a 4k with the matte on it?

Images still look very good or video if they are 4k but not sure
if downgrading to 1440p on glossy would disapoint?

I know that macbook pro retina display for sure does not disappoint.

Looks better than this 4k display I'm using now.

Would a 1440p glossy look better than a 4k with the matte on it?

Images still look very good or video if they are 4k but not sure
if downgrading to 1440p on glossy would disapoint?

I know that macbook pro retina display for sure does not disappoint.

Looks better than this 4k display I'm using now.

Yes it does. I've experienced the difference myself. Before purchasing my Samsung 4k I had a glossy catleap that broke right around the time the Samsung came out so I decided to make the jump to 4k. The fact that the Samsung is a TN with grainy matte coating may be the reason why I wasn't very impressed when I went from 1440p to 4k. Sure there was less jaggies in games when no AA was used but overall image quality seemed to be worst than my catleap.

Thanks.

I think I might go with a Qnix bc it seems to be the only 2kish monitor that
Is glossy.

I wish there was a 4k glossy option.

Is there any difference in the actual colors? I've heard that the mackbook screen doesn't really cover srgb closely. It's actually around 87% of something. But I guess the lack of a matte film makes up for this.

Back