Looking for a PSU with low/no electrical noise

Are there certain brands that are better than others in this regard or is pretty much a crapshoot (I'm guessing the latter)? Or is electrical noise pretty much inherent to a power supply? I guess this is more of a brand question than particular units.
edit: Sorry meant noise that you hear.

Last edited:
Are there certain brands that are better than others in this regard or is pretty much a crapshoot (I'm guessing the latter)? Or is electrical noise pretty much inherent to a power supply? I guess this is more of a brand question than particular units.

Assuming that you're talking about ripple or voltage fluctuations, it's pretty much inherent. Though some PSUs have lower voltage fluctuations than others. You really can't go by brand as that's also a crapshoot as well: Certain models of a brand may be worse than others and in some cases may use a different manufacturer altogether. You basically have to go on a model by model basis.

I've never heard any coil whine from any PSU that I've ever owned. Although, my buddy's Corsair CX 600 causes a slight whine to emit from his headphones when under gaming load.

edit: Sorry meant noise that you hear.
Just to be clear: Do you mean coil whine or the fan noise from a PSU?

Assuming that you're talking about coil whine, it's kind of a crap shoot from what I can tell. With that said, a lot of the times I do hear about coil whine, it usually involves a Seasonic built PSU. With that said, coil whine can happen to any PSU. It doesn't necessarily mean that the PSU is faulty. The only issue is how annoying it can be.

I've never heard any coil whine from any PSU that I've ever owned. Although, my buddy's Corsair CX 600 causes a slight whine to emit from his headphones when under gaming load.

That's to do with poor grounding on the sound output than the PSU. Onboard? USB?

I'd go for an OCZ ZT series PSU because they seem to be around the 89-100 price range and are fully modular which you dont see alot these days.

Back