Looking for 2.1 system

todlerix

2[H]4U
I've been looking at:
Edifier 2.1 S330D
Corsair SP2500
2 bookshelf + powered sub + amp

I like the Edifier's multiple inputs, two digital (toslink and spdif), + L/R analog input (RCA?)

After searching around many people seem to say the 2 bookshelfs speakers with amp and powered sub are superior quality for the same price range.

I have a ASUS Xonar ST Essence (PCI) sound card.

Budget is $200-$300 w/shipping +tax

Appreciate any input on what I should get.

The Corsair looks better on paper than the Edifier system.

I will go further and say that a pair of powered studio monitors with a sub and DAC would be the best choice BUT that comes with a steep price. Something like the Edifier or Corsair systems are the best within your budget. Even a decent pair of passive bookshelf speakers, sub, and T-amp will exceed your budget. For reference, I have $2000 in my 2.1 PC setup which consists of Emotiva Stealth 6 monitors, Emotiva DC-1 DAC, and SVS SB-2000 sub.

Just go into it knowing that you most-likely won't be satisfied and would want to upgrade later on. Lord knows I've upgraded enough to back up that statement. I'm perfectly happy now as I really can't get more on my desk.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Speakers are a personal decision but for your price range I typically recommend Paradigm Atoms which you should be able to find used for around $75-125. Pair it with a Dayton, Bic, Polk subwoofer (or if you can find a good deal on a used higher-end one do that) which are all a very good value: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95. Some good brands to look for used include - and this is nowhere near a full list nor is it in any specific order: Paradigm, Definitive, NHT, Mirage, Energy, Bang & Olufsen, Klipsch (I don't like most of their speakers personally though the subs are fine), Polk (their cheap stuff is not great but they have higher-end stuff for more money), Boston Acoustics (they also have some cheap stuff which is not great but is worth it when the price is right), HSU (subwoofers), SVS (subwoofers), KEF, Wilson, Mission, Dynaudio, Bowers & Wilkins, PSB, and more. There are also some internet-direct brands that are good such as Ascend Acoustics and HomeTheaterDirect.

Combine it with a used receiver if you have the space for one. You will get maximum flexibility and you can find them for very little money (or even free) - especially if you get a stereo one or a Dolby Pro Logic one. But you can still find a lot of them that do support AC3/DTS and true surround sound for very little money.

If you don't have the space for a receiver, get almost any T-amp. Brands like SMSL and Topping are a bit higher quality than Lepai and Dayton but all of them are decent and will get the job done. For your budget, don't bother investing in anything more expensive because speakers get priority.

Last edited:
TTL did a review of the SP2500 and he loved them. If it's features you're after I don't think they're a bad choice..

Personally, I just use these (they came with cables and volume controller for free when purchased as bundle):

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JBL-LSR305-LIST

I have these too with the matching LSR310S sub (which doubles the budget). The LSR305's are an amazing value. They sound good out of the box but after some PEQing to bring down some of the peaks and lower midrange (making them flat from 200hz - 20kHz, I like the bass to rise below 200Hz for my house curve) they really shine, they can hold their own with speakers costing $1000/ea for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks all, picked up a pair of edifier S330 used for $85 - can't beat the price.

Back