Linux bigadv in VM on W7

cactus

Limp Gawd
I have finally got the SR-2 I got from pjkenned this weekend up and running, but it seems to be getting low ppd, ~79k/day on 6901. It's clocked at 3.3GHz x2 (l5640), ddr-1830MHz running bigadv smp 24. It is going to be my main rig for the time being as I RMA my Asus i7 board. I'm wondering if it will get any more PPD running a Linux vm for folding.

Thanks,
Max

PS <450W from the wall with a X750 Gold PSU, I need better cooling.

If you mean Windows host running Ubuntu in a VM then no. I tried VMware player and Virtualbox and had zero luck. It appeared to use 24 threads fine, just the frame time was 1 hour plus instead of the hoped for 10 mins or so.

I am not super familiar with L5640 times but that seems low. NUMA disabled?

Definately low by 40K-50K. As MIBW said, make sure NUMA is disabled - I believe pj would have had it enabled for a Linux install. Make sure the procs are loaded 100% and that all of your memory is being recognized.

get rid off Win7 if you want to run -bigadv ... it uses too much RAM and has many more background processes. SMP -bigadv seems to love to use RAM (tight and fast RAM). XP is the best :D

Sounds really low as it was getting 127-130K on 6901's using Linux per HFM's output. Try NUMA or Linux as it was setup with Linux. Also, you can probably push it further than I did. I had actually needed to sanity check some numbers so had it clocked a bit lower than normal the week before I took it down.

Run linux host with win 7 in the VM for the month or so that your parts are out.

My SR-2 at a similar clock speed was getting around 115K-120K PPD. I bumped the overclock to 3.6GHz and am now getting about 135K PPD. This is in Windows with NUMA disabled in BIOS. Definitely check NUMA first.

drop that RAM divider down to 1066mhz and push up the bclk. 3.5 to 3.6 ghz should be relatively easy.

the other suggestions already stated are good. Make sure your ram is all recognized and running in triple channel. I'm running windows 7 64 bit on my 3.6ghz L5640s and they're getting 130k PPD plus. (side note: windows 7 is perfectly fine for bigadv).

When you say you need better cooling, why is that? If your CPUs are getting really (really) hot, they could be downclocking themselves to keep from burning up.

Last edited:
I tried before work today to up bclk and ended up making the board not boot. Ill have to try some more when I get home tonight. I had NUMA on which sounds like it will drop PPD a lot.

@jebo The chips are right around 65 - 70 at 3.3GHz with vtt 1.35 and vcore 1.30. I haven't had much time to mess with BIOS tweaking but I know I need at least more vtt to get higher bclk. My i7 was at 1.45 for 200 bclk with 1.35 vcore. I also have two 980x air coolers laying around. I'll try to see if they are any better than the Supermicro ones I have on it now.

Thanks for the help,
Max

NUMA is a PPD killer on windows, I'd try running your chips with their last known good settings and see if you get the proper PPD boost from turning NUMA off, that would at least eliminate or confirm that being the problem

Back