Lily Allen Deletes Pro-Copyright Blog

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well, it sure didn’t take long for Lily Allen to shut her blog down, now did it? I guess it isn’t too fun getting all that “abuse” for creating an anti-piracy blog once people found out she was guilty of the very same kinds of copyright infringement she was preaching against.

Yesterday it was revealed that, despite her calls for tougher anti-piracy legislation, Lily Allen herself created illicit mixtapes full of copyrighted music and made them available to the public. Today, after having rationalized why it is okay for her to pirate music, she killed her pro-copyright blog because “the abuse was getting too much.”

My wife took a look at one of the pictures of Mz. Allen and said "Wow, who's that ugly skank?"

Didn't help (and I didn't realize until I'd seen the photos TWICE, that it was a picture of her, making a nasty face, kicking her heels up, (while wearing a short skirt) and (this is what's gross) not wearing underwear. It's only gross because I COULDN'T TELL without a double take. Ewwwwww.

My wife took a look at one of the pictures of Mz. Allen and said "Wow, who's that ugly skank?"

Didn't help (and I didn't realize until I'd seen the photos TWICE, that it was a picture of her, making a nasty face, kicking her heels up, (while wearing a short skirt) and (this is what's gross) not wearing underwear. It's only gross because I COULDN'T TELL without a double take. Ewwwwww.

lily-allen-5.jpg

that picture?

And the girl in that pic is clearly wearing SOME kind of underwear unless she's just got a thick, black mane down south. So thick in fact, it's a solid carpet with an even line where her leg starts.

I agree she is definitely wearing underoos, but that is definitely the picture he was talking about.

You know its funny I hang out on this Indie rock playlist site that distributes via torrents. Thing is, so many unknown artists are getting popular because of the playlist that he doesn't have to hunt down music anymore he gets stuff sent to him by people like The Antlers, Gaslight Anthem, and many others specifically to put on the monthly playlist only available on torrent, usenet, and warez.

The anti-piracy crap needs to die. Artists get paid upfront for albums on major labels. If anything piracy will eventually shutdown all these shitty money mongering labels and bands will just have to stands on their own two feet. No more record deals.

You know its funny I hang out on this Indie rock playlist site that distributes via torrents. Thing is, so many unknown artists are getting popular because of the playlist that he doesn't have to hunt down music anymore he gets stuff sent to him by people like The Antlers, Gaslight Anthem, and many others specifically to put on the monthly playlist only available on torrent, usenet, and warez.

The anti-piracy crap needs to die. Artists get paid upfront for albums on major labels. If anything piracy will eventually shutdown all these shitty money mongering labels and bands will just have to stands on their own two feet. No more record deals.

I'm friends with a few people in borderline mainstream bands (not quite, but close)... who have a very strong fanbase... they haven't put out an album in years, but tour regularly and make a decent income from it.

They're stance is mixed, while they dislike people who download music for free and don't support the bands at all, they also know that many people even today have a choice:

buy the CD, like the bands music, but can't afford concerts OR download the music, like the bands music, go to the concert, maybe buy a t-shirt.

For non-major bands, merch and ticket sales are the only thing that really earns them money, they're lucky if the album sales pay for the production of the album and the munchies/beers/tea/coffee that the band put into it.

FOr years I was in the second choice section, I also told all my friends about my favourite bands. I still love to introduce friends to new bands with mix-CDs, and a written description of each track, along with album/other track reccomendations to get into them, as well as other similar bands.

So I had a large downloaded music collection, I went to every concert I could, and always tried to buy something. I was at one concert and went to take a look at the merch, but I had literally $4 still to my name, and no money in sight for another 3 weeks. They started to chat me up, and even offered to give me a poster for free, (which I thought was cool), but I had em sign my bank account slip where it was clear I was broke, but still there to support them.

Now I work a steady job, i still download NEW music, and order 10-20 CDs a month. (my to-buy list is around 160 albums long and I can hardly shrink it)...

Piracy is not an issue, bands putting out pure shit music that nobody wants to buy or support is the issue. (and the RIAA/MPAA clinging to the titanic as it sinks and wanting to evaporate the entire ocean to survive).

Colossal self-ownage. She also said just before she closed the blog that she's quitting music because she can't make any money out of it.

What a spoiled girl!

self selecting bias and a narrow mindset distorts the reality of the music scene.

Small indie online stations recommending bands who are able to send in their music for mass downloads. No effort was done for local scouting nor giving any chance to larger labels. Or having not enough monetary support to pay royalties, so they choose to play nobodies.

Small garage bands abandoning their local scene after making it big. Or small indie bands whining how they are better than the big ones, when actually they are secretly jealous of them making it big.
State level battle of the bands rewarding derivative musicians.

Large labels paying mainstream radios to feature their music, or it could be just because it is a knock-on effect of popular foreign artists on local stations, making it a professional obligation for DJs to put these music acts on air. (put your feet in non-US/British mainstream stations for once)

Pirates refusing to pay for "test-purpose" songs even though by downloading HQ full albums with artwork scans, they are already owning it. Or pirates swearing they support their (always ending up as indie to maintain net respect) favorite bands even though by already owning 100 indie albums in their comps, they can be extremely picky in what they define as their favorite band ( or songs they actually "listen" to) since well...they already have the exact replica of these songs.

Western labels pegging the prices at US prices at asian/SA/afican countries for no economic benefit since said countries would pirate these albums. (for Americans, try imagine buying a normal CD for US160.) But by pirating, they dramatically decrease the chance of these acts to actually tour their country, compared to actually buying them. What a dilemma.

Best solution to all this problems which neither the pirates or labels will do:
1. Price the albums accordingly based on local purchasing parity and redesign locally so as to discourage imports.
2. Pirates should actually test their albums using genuine online/offline sources and only take what they like.
3. Internet retailers/importers should help (1) succeed.
4. when (1) is done, all European nations should proper adopt laws on unlicensed mass distribution of copyrighted materials.

remember, why do pirates pirate? Because they can get it for free with zero repercussions.
will a white collar worker steal latte's from the corner Starbucks? Of course they will if they never ever will be punished for it
Political and ethical reasons supporting piracy are just meaningless excuses. (i am stealing Starbucks because they pay coffee farmers too little.)

^ What he said. Whatever he said. :D

remember, why do pirates pirate?

Because they think they're entitled to that music/movie/software for some ever-changing reason.

^ What he said. Whatever he said. :D

Because they think they're entitled to that music/movie/software for some ever-changing reason.

I don't think it's an entitlement issue. It just boils down to getting it for free.

I'm sure there other factors, but the bottom line is the dollar, usually is.

Funny thing is of course that you and everyone else on this forum, including myself, is a pirate. I have movies and music on my computers which I didn't pay for. Worse, if I had bought (imported) them, I would have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on them. Ignore the fact that I could never have afforded it all.

Why do I have those movies and music? Because I enjoy listening to or watching them, or just because I'm curious and wanted to check something out. I have deleted GBs of music and movies as well.

I'm a game developer and with our games we'll have to deal with piracy just like every other game development company. Do we mind people playing our games for free? To some extent, but a) we can't do a darn thing about it and b) it's a great way to promote our games, saving us a lot of money on advertising.

For musicians it's even easier to make money despite piracy as pointed out, because their music isn't their main selling point. It's the merchandise, the live concerts, the experience. All things people can't 'pirate'.

Funny thing is of course that you and everyone else on this forum, including myself, is a pirate. I have movies and music on my computers which I didn't pay for. Worse, if I had bought (imported) them, I would have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on them. Ignore the fact that I could never have afforded it all.

Orly? Because I don't have any music that I haven't paid for and I'm not sharing any of it to the best of my knowledge.

It only seems like everyone here is a pirate. A (generally vocal) number of us at least claim we're not. Of course, if the RIIA/MPAA has their way we all may become pirates since we may accidentally watch or listen to something they would like to charge for, such as a music preview.

For musicians it's even easier to make money despite piracy as pointed out, because their music isn't their main selling point. It's the merchandise, the live concerts, the experience. All things people can't 'pirate'.

ZING!

self selecting bias and a narrow mindset distorts the reality of the music scene.

Small indie online stations recommending bands who are able to send in their music for mass downloads. No effort was done for local scouting nor giving any chance to larger labels. Or having not enough monetary support to pay royalties, so they choose to play nobodies.

Small garage bands abandoning their local scene after making it big. Or small indie bands whining how they are better than the big ones, when actually they are secretly jealous of them making it big.
State level battle of the bands rewarding derivative musicians.

Large labels paying mainstream radios to feature their music, or it could be just because it is a knock-on effect of popular foreign artists on local stations, making it a professional obligation for DJs to put these music acts on air. (put your feet in non-US/British mainstream stations for once)

Pirates refusing to pay for "test-purpose" songs even though by downloading HQ full albums with artwork scans, they are already owning it. Or pirates swearing they support their (always ending up as indie to maintain net respect) favorite bands even though by already owning 100 indie albums in their comps, they can be extremely picky in what they define as their favorite band ( or songs they actually "listen" to) since well...they already have the exact replica of these songs.

Western labels pegging the prices at US prices at asian/SA/afican countries for no economic benefit since said countries would pirate these albums. (for Americans, try imagine buying a normal CD for US160.) But by pirating, they dramatically decrease the chance of these acts to actually tour their country, compared to actually buying them. What a dilemma.

Best solution to all this problems which neither the pirates or labels will do:
1. Price the albums accordingly based on local purchasing parity and redesign locally so as to discourage imports.
2. Pirates should actually test their albums using genuine online/offline sources and only take what they like.
3. Internet retailers/importers should help (1) succeed.
4. when (1) is done, all European nations should proper adopt laws on unlicensed mass distribution of copyrighted materials.

remember, why do pirates pirate? Because they can get it for free with zero repercussions.
will a white collar worker steal latte's from the corner Starbucks? Of course they will if they never ever will be punished for it
Political and ethical reasons supporting piracy are just meaningless excuses. (i am stealing Starbucks because they pay coffee farmers too little.)

I feel stupider for having read that man sorry. I think you were trying to make some points but I suspect engrish is your second language hense all the references to something about european radio stations.

Maybe you should try to back up and clarify some of your points. I don't know what a "knock-on effect" is for instance.

I feel stupider for having read that man sorry. I think you were trying to make some points but I suspect engrish is your second language hense all the references to something about european radio stations.

Maybe you should try to back up and clarify some of your points. I don't know what a "knock-on effect" is for instance.

Actually I would be willing to wager he is from the land that invented English. Knock-on effect is a British English saying. You can find a definition here.

While I don't feel that it's OK for people to download movies/games/music, I don't see any bands I truly care about that are actually hurt by piracy.

It seems to me the bands that actually care are going to be fine and people will support them, I think the arm of the music business that is suffering is the repeatable knockoff garbage that people are more likely to go to a bar and see a cover band for their sing alongs. The type of bands you see at the State Fair on the free stage, those are the ones who suffer.

Back