Light Ivy Bridge laptops

christpunchers

Limp Gawd
It seems that the current selection of Ivy Bridge laptops that I can find locally is sort of lacking.

Can anyone recommend something that has the Ivy Bridge chip in it, that's about 14" or 15" screen but weights under 2KG?

The only thing I've seen that comes close would be the new lineup from Vizio... but those are hard to get where I live.

Why do you need to find locally? Most PC laptops sold at big box stores are garbage. You could order a Lenovo T430s and WIN.

What's your price range? And are you willing to buy online? Do you need discrete graphics of some kind (either for games or for work) or will integrated do?

I second the previous suggestion of a Thinkpad by Zinn. The T430s is fantastic, though it may be out of your price range?

Well where I live (Canada) shipping back and forth is expensive compared to how it works in the US. I'd much prefer to just walk into a store and get something replaced. I'm sure if I was in the States, I would be ordering things online and not have to worry about it because most of the time shipping is very cheap, or even free (and it's fast).

My budget would be about 750.00.. up to 1k if I really like what I'm getting.

Discrete graphics is not that important to me since I won't be doing much gaming. I'm sure the HD4000 on the Ivy is enough for most of the stuff I'm going to be doing. But most of the Ivy Bridge laptops seem to have some sort of discrete GPU (6xx Nvidia), so I might not be able to save money on that end.

Well where I live (Canada) shipping back and forth is expensive compared to how it works in the US. I'd much prefer to just walk into a store and get something replaced. I'm sure if I was in the States, I would be ordering things online and not have to worry about it because most of the time shipping is very cheap, or even free (and it's fast).

My budget would be about 750.00.. up to 1k if I really like what I'm getting.

Discrete graphics is not that important to me since I won't be doing much gaming. I'm sure the HD4000 on the Ivy is enough for most of the stuff I'm going to be doing. But most of the Ivy Bridge laptops seem to have some sort of discrete GPU (6xx Nvidia), so I might not be able to save money on that end.

NCIX is the Candian Newegg.

It seems that the current selection of Ivy Bridge laptops that I can find locally is sort of lacking.

Can anyone recommend something that has the Ivy Bridge chip in it, that's about 14" or 15" screen but weights under 2KG?

The only thing I've seen that comes close would be the new lineup from Vizio... but those are hard to get where I live.

There aren't many ivy bridge ultrabooks released at this point. Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, Asus, & Vizio all have models out or due in a week.

Lenovo U310, U410
Toshiba Z930
Acer Aspire S5
Sony VAIO T Series
Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A, UX32VD

Sony VAIO S Series, a 15.5" 1080p IPS display unit with Ivy Bridge i5 can be had for $999 CAD from the Sony store. It's also only 4.4 pounds, which is damned light for a full power 15 inch unit. Also comes with the Nvidia 640LE which does not totally suck for gaming.

After coming back from Canada, I now price everything in cases of beer. So $999 would be 20 cases of beer. That seems like a hell of a deal for a laptop.

There aren't many ivy bridge ultrabooks released at this point. Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, Asus, & Vizio all have models out or due in a week.

Lenovo U310, U410
Toshiba Z930
Acer Aspire S5
Sony VAIO T Series
Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A, UX32VD

Excellent. Thanks for the list.

Back