Lies Of P

Really enjoying it on PS5. I get the cheesing deal, but that's a decision for the player. The first Souls like game I played was Demon's Souls remake and I cheesed TF out of all the bosses. I'm not going to fault the game for the option, intended or not, of cheesing bosses. That's on the player.

how is the level design, enemy design, environments etc?

It's good IMO, a nice change of pace (env and enemy design(they're great)) from the other souls-like games. Levels are a little more linear, but still offer some discovery if you trek off the beaten path. Def not Elden Ring, but it's still solid.

If:
Elden Ring = 10/10
Demon's Souls Remake = 8.5/10

Then:
Lies of P = 7.5/10 (Which is good, don't get me wrong.)
  • Context: I'm only 4hrs in but it's just keeps getting better and more interesting so this score will change. Just based off what I've played so far, and so far I really enjoy it.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-09-21 173648.png

I finally beat this POS. Seems like most people are having trouble with this SOB. Phase 2 of this boss is basically Malenia 2.0 and renders great weapon builds pretty much useless.

I think the the more linear level design is both good and bad, but more bad than good ultimately. On one side you can progress through more quickly without being confused by some overly elaborate Metroidvania map layout, but also you lose a huge part of the explorative experience that these types of games are known for.

For the enemies, most all of them besides the small regular types can be a real chore to fight and you'll find yourself getting slapped around like a bitch regularly. I like that there are like one time unique bots that once you kill them they get removed from the world, but the fights just seem to drag to much. Nothing like blowing through every one of your healers for literally one enemy! I think the idea of slightly quicker stagger states would def. be a welcomed thing. There's times your thinking like Come On! how much fricken longer do I need to do this over here, ya know?

I agree with some of this, especially needing an adjustment to the perfect guard window, good god. Maybe I'm just getting less patient with things as I play more and more of these games. There was something about Elden Ring that made it feel worth it, that I just don't feel with Lies of P. It could be because it's 100% purely single player and there's no multiplayer in bosses, invasions, etc. I've felt more infuriated with a couple of the bosses in this game than I have with any other Soulslike game so far. It's a level of investment that some people won't be willing to make. I'm currently at a point in the game where <10% of Steam players have gotten to and the game has been out technically since Friday if you got the Deluxe edition. I think this will be the most given up on Soulslike to date, and it's very understandable. I won't recommend this to anyone who doesn't want a godlike challenge and doesn't mind 40-50 hours of acute hypertension.

^ yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I'll even be able to finish it myself, knowing most of the bosses I have yet to face will now 2 phases. Not looking forward to any of that at all considering how crazy some of it already is.

I think this game could've benefited from a little more regular enemy density to maybe help you level a little faster, because you can't even really farm for levels. I find myself starting back at the hotel and just re-running the whole area back to the latest stargazer just to try to gain a few levels here and there, but it seems like a few and far between kinda thing.

It could be because it's 100% purely single player and there's no multiplayer in bosses, invasions, etc. I've felt more infuriated with a couple of the bosses in this game than I have with any other Soulslike game so far.

so your frustration is more about the fact that the game forces you to play solo without any co-op or summoning help?...in previous Souls games you always used co-op to get you through the game?...to each his own but I love the challenge of beating every Souls boss solo...I've never used co-op or summoing and never will...Lies of P sounds like my type of game (if not for the horrendous KB/M controls)

if not for the horrendous KB/M controls
Interesting, haven't heard of critique of the KB/M controls. A Sekiro speedrun world record holder (including blindfold category) I've been watching play the game remarked they found the controls fine.

Interesting, haven't heard of critique of the KB/M controls. A Sekiro speedrun world record holder (including blindfold category) I've been watching play the game remarked they found the controls fine.

the movement keys are hard-locked to WSAD and cannot be changed...a few other keyboard controls also cannot be remapped...that needs to be patched

so your frustration is more about the fact that the game forces you to play solo without any co-op or summoning help?...in previous Souls games you always used co-op to get you through the game?...to each his own but I love the challenge of beating every Souls boss solo...I've never used co-op or summoing and never will...Lies of P sounds like my type of game (if not for the horrendous KB/M controls)
My frustration is that they implemented an AI companion system that is basically essential to you beating some of the boss fights. Without it, very few people out there would stand a chance. Summoning in Souls games was a bonus if you were really struggling, but the bosses weren't built with the intention of always having help. I'm all for the challenge of souls games, but there's a breaking point for everyone. This game goes beyond that limit for me. I'm still going to beat it, I'm just trudging through not having anywhere near the good experience I've had in other games like this.

https://reddit.com/r/LiesOfP/s/JvOzRPoEbF

Must be a Hard Boss someone said it's weak to fire and Salamander knife I think he was talking about. I just You Tubed the Boss he's cool looking.
That one wasn't terribly hard, there are a couple of good strategies for him out there. Fuocco and King of Puppets have been the hardest that I've fought thus far.

That being said, there are a handful of elite enemies that put some of the bosses to shame.

^Fuocco was where I was stuck at forever. Probably tried 40+ times. Stopped playing for a whole day, fired it back up and then beat him on my second try like it was nothing. Doesn't even make any sense, because really I didn't do anything different. Kinda almost feels like rng a bit, but even rng would have you winning these battles sooner than that it seems.

Well if he is indeed one of the harder bosses maybe I might be ok afterall.

^Fuocco was where I was stuck at forever. Probably tried 40+ times. Stopped playing for a whole day, fired it back up and then beat him on my second try like it was nothing. Doesn't even make any sense, because really I didn't do anything different. Kinda almost feels like rng a bit, but even rng would have you winning these battles sooner than that it seems.

Well if he is indeed one of the harder bosses maybe I might be ok afterall.
i'll be interested to see how you feel about king of puppets. basically from that point on, all the bosses are 2 phase.

Well, we'll soon find out :)
i will say, i picked up a weapon yesterday...literally changed the game. it damn near trivialized the last 2 bosses i beat.

actually kinda messed up that 1 OP weapon can do that.

Finished the game last night. Final boss is....good god, annoying. Another Malenia on steroids with NO companion.

The game does pick up in the 2nd half in the way that filling out your P-organ upgrades significantly increases your survivability, which IMO shows more of the games flawed system being so overly reliant on things that can only be unlocked progressing through 80% of the game to feel viable.

If I were to NG+, go Advanced build. Status effects are FAR more powerful than anything else in the game. Using shock on puppets, fire on infected, etc., does so much more damage than using standard weapons in a STR/DEX build.

I did not feel very satisfied completing the game from exploiting some of the mechanics to beat a number of the bosses. I had a pretty standard format for bosses by the time I beat King of Puppets that I used a lot in the 2nd half of the game, which was basically:
Attempt the fight enough times that I felt good about understanding the mechanics of the 2nd phase (ever non optional boss in the 2nd half has 2 phases).
Once I felt like I could get the boss down to 1/2 health in phase 2, my go to was loading up on Ergo and buying as many throwable items as I could carry (especially the ones that inflicted the main status weakness to the boss)
Phase 1 I would literally throw everything I had at the boss to burn it down as fast as possible, giving me a lot more breathing room starting phase 2 with most of not all of my potions and having the AI companion at 75% or more HP
Phase 2 - immediately use a Wishstone that gave the AI companion status effect weakness of the boss (it also gives them a damage reduction while its active)
Bait and switch with the AI to inflict as much damage as I could before the pet died, normally felt good about the fight if the boss was at 50% or less by the time the AI companion died
Continue the fight using status effect grindstones and good ole dodge roll to win.

This game really wants you to use the perfect guard mechanic at all time - honestly most of the boss strategy videos I watched were people just standing in place perfect guarding and then breaking the bosses / fatal attack, rinse and repeat. I found this makes the game feel INCREDIBLY boring and I did not want to play that way, but some of the fights basically demand it unless you employ a similar throwable item exploit strategy as I did.

At the end of the game, I give it a 6-6.5 and I could see how NG+ would be a much more enjoyable experience than the first playthrough, having access to all of the skill tree in the beginning vs having to trudge through 3/4 of the game for your character to feel "complete". That being said, I also don't have much desire to play it again other than the fact that there are multiple endings to the game. The "true" ending looks like a PITA, but I doubt nearly anyone will get it on their first try.

In terms of how I feel the game could have been fixed, really either giving access to more Quartz early on to round out some of the skill tree earlier, or pushing the 2 phase bosses back another 1-2 chapters. It's really not that hard, it's not like the systems are so broken there's no hope of repairing them. It's just the order the bosses are presented in, with the skills you have access to at that specific time, that make the game far too difficult to attempt to play fairly. The git gud argument doesn't apply because of how essential some of the late game P-organ upgrades feel. Once you have them, all of a sudden things start to click - it just happens far too late in the game.

Last edited:
I just finished the Archbishop fight after another probably forty plus attempts. Starting to really become a chore to play, don't know if I even want to continue tbh. The whole thing is starting to seem just plain unfun. The trident weapon that you can get afterwards seems pretty good though and might very well be a game changer (probably not lol). I originally was just turning in the boss ergo to level up. I didn't even know you could get weapons and amulets from them until just yesterday when I seen it on the load screen :banghead:. Stupid! Probably might've made some stuff a bit easier had I a few of those earlier boss weapons.

Seems much of the game is locked away after the halfway point and even more so. Definitely agree, could use some more quartz earlier on to help get things rolling a bit. I've only gotten 4 of them by now (probably missed some), and just finished chapter 4.

I don't know what to make of it anymore, everything is all over the place and has got me all kinds of conbobulated to the point I don't even know what's goin on anymore. Hopefully it smooths out a bit, but yeah again, not looking forward to any of the upcoming boss fights.

I love games with high difficulty curves so hopefully they fix the KB/M issues as I really want to play this...

First patch out just earlier, no mention of rebindable movement keys, srry polo seems you are sol :(
Some good changes regarding the stagger mechanic and certain enemy hp, as well as a few boss tweaks have been noted. Haven't tried it out yet myself.

I watched my brother play it tonight for an hour or so on the 5th boss area. It didn't seem near as tough as sekiro. I have heard otherwise though. Still on the fence about it. Worst case scenario, I try it off his shared steam library in a month. :)

First patch out just earlier, no mention of rebindable movement keys, srry polo seems you are sol :(
Some good changes regarding the stagger mechanic and certain enemy hp, as well as a few boss tweaks have been noted. Haven't tried it out yet myself.

Lies of P Update 1.2.0.0

Balance Changes

Field Monster Balance Changes
- Decreased the HP of certain field monsters
- Increased the chance of breaking some monsters' stance and the frequency of stagger
- Increased the staggerable window time

Decrease the HP of all 3 types of Dimensional Butterflies

Adjusted the rewards for some monsters
- Increased the drop rate of Moonstone type items
- Decreased the drop rate of Star Fragments
- Increased the drop rate of Ergo items
- Increased the Ergo rewards of certain monsters that appear after Lorenzini Arcade"

Boss Monster Balance Changes
- Decreased the HP of 'Fallen Archbishop Andreus'
- Decreased the HP of 'King of Puppets' in the first phase
- Decreased the HP of 'Simon Manus, Arm of God'
- Decreased the damage of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'
- Increased the chance to break the stance of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'"

Increased the Specter's HP and damage

System Changes Related to the Character Progression Reset
- Added the feature to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms at the 'Gold Coin Tree'
- Characters created after this patch will now receive 8 Gold Coin Fruits instead of 5 for their first harvest
- Adjusted the required amount of gold coins to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms

Additional Changes
- Players will now be able to carry more weight for each point spent on Capacity
- Decreased the weight of Amulets that could be purchased with Boss Ergo
- Players will now be able to land attacks better when they use fable arts that consume three or more slots. (includes Fable Arts that stack)
- Successfully performing the Fable Art 'Guard Parry' will now break the monster's stance

and more...full patch notes at the link below...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1627720/view/3709334211503505875

I hear the patch nerfed the game too much in the other direction and now it's too easy...

I hear the patch nerfed the game too much in the other direction and now it's too easy...
I haven't played yet since the 1.2 drop, but I highly doubt it's 'to easy' all the sudden. ALL games get balance patches. I don't understand all the drama. You got a bunch of kiddos on the Steam forums proclaiming that the game was perfect and they're better than everyone else, and basically everyone who was having some issues with the game is a noob. It's laughable. The whole game was really starting to become annoying. Like everything way overdone, seemingly. I'm about to fire it up here shortly, so we'll see...

Lies of P Update 1.2.0.0

Balance Changes

Field Monster Balance Changes
- Decreased the HP of certain field monsters
- Increased the chance of breaking some monsters' stance and the frequency of stagger
- Increased the staggerable window time

Decrease the HP of all 3 types of Dimensional Butterflies

Adjusted the rewards for some monsters
- Increased the drop rate of Moonstone type items
- Decreased the drop rate of Star Fragments
- Increased the drop rate of Ergo items
- Increased the Ergo rewards of certain monsters that appear after Lorenzini Arcade"

Boss Monster Balance Changes
- Decreased the HP of 'Fallen Archbishop Andreus'
- Decreased the HP of 'King of Puppets' in the first phase
- Decreased the HP of 'Simon Manus, Arm of God'
- Decreased the damage of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'
- Increased the chance to break the stance of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'"

Increased the Specter's HP and damage

System Changes Related to the Character Progression Reset
- Added the feature to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms at the 'Gold Coin Tree'
- Characters created after this patch will now receive 8 Gold Coin Fruits instead of 5 for their first harvest
- Adjusted the required amount of gold coins to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms

Additional Changes
- Players will now be able to carry more weight for each point spent on Capacity
- Decreased the weight of Amulets that could be purchased with Boss Ergo
- Players will now be able to land attacks better when they use fable arts that consume three or more slots. (includes Fable Arts that stack)
- Successfully performing the Fable Art 'Guard Parry' will now break the monster's stance

and more...full patch notes at the link below...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1627720/view/3709334211503505875
of course they nerf the hardest bosses i had the most trouble with after i already beat them.

same thing happened to me with radahn in elden ring. the price of being a trailblazer.

I haven't played yet since the 1.2 drop, but I highly doubt it's 'to easy' all the sudden. ALL games get balance patches. I don't understand all the drama. You got a bunch of kiddos on the Steam forums proclaiming that the game was perfect and they're better than everyone else, and basically everyone who was having some issues with the game is a noob. It's laughable. The whole game was really starting to become annoying. Like everything way overdone, seemingly. I'm about to fire it up here shortly, so we'll see...
don't bother with them. i started looking at some of the profiles of the "git gud" idiots on steam and half of them DONT EVEN OWN THE GAME - just straight up trolls.

^ I read one post last night from one particular kiddo who, no shit, said they played through to new game+ 10. Then you go look at their profile and it had iirc 44 hours played or something. lmfao! But yeah, I think I've already blocked 4 or 5 steam posters. :eek: There hasn't been this much bravado around a game that I can remember since, Ego Tournament 2004!

^ I read one post last night from one particular kiddo who, no shit, said they played through to new game+ 10. Then you go look at their profile and it had iirc 44 hours played or something. lmfao! But yeah, I think I've already blocked 4 or 5 steam posters. :eek: There hasn't been this much bravado around a game that I can remember since, Ego Tournament 2004!

I think hard core fans of the Souls genre love the challenge/difficulty which is why you're seeing a lot of posts complaining about the game being nerfed after the patch

I think hard core fans of the Souls genre love the challenge/difficulty which is why you're seeing a lot of posts complaining about the game being nerfed after the patch
difficulty = hard but fair, when you lose, you feel it was your fault. thats my opinion at least.

this game has you feeling all sorts of ways, mostly that it's the game design itself. but maybe it feels "cool" to beat a game that most people quit to some? hard to say.

Lies of P makes Dark Souls and Elden Ring look like casual games. Finished the game today, I think it was harder than my first run through Sekiro. Honestly I'm glad I'm done with it, it was incredibly frustrating at times and debated quitting it a few times. This might be because going into it I expected it to be easier than a From Software game, I expected to breeze through it like, but I ended up struggling with it.

Lies of P makes Dark Souls and Elden Ring look like casual games. Finished the game today, I think it was harder than my first run through Sekiro. Honestly I'm glad I'm done with it, it was incredibly frustrating at times and debated quitting it a few times. This might be because going into it I expected it to be easier than a From Software game, I expected to breeze through it like, but I ended up struggling with it.
So it was NES hard? Sounds like a good time to me! :D

There is no way this game is harder than Sekrio because of the progressive leveling. Sekrio gave you so much room to level up and that was it.

There is no way this game is harder than Sekrio because of the progressive leveling. Sekrio gave you so much room to level up and that was it.
Is that your opinion after completing it? It's interesting to see others perspectives.

I avoided others opinions while playing, I didn't even check this thread until after completing the game after initially learning the fact that it was a Souls-like. I'm not really sure what everyone thinks about the game, maybe I was just bad at it, lol.

Is that your opinion after completing it? It's interesting to see others perspectives.

I avoided others opinions while playing, I didn't even check this thread until after completing the game after initially learning the fact that it was a Souls-like. I'm not really sure what everyone thinks about the game, maybe I was just bad at it, lol.
I can't speak to post-patch, but pre-patch, Lies of P was harder than Sekiro or any other FromSoft game. And not in a good way.

People who suck at Souls games just overlevel anyway. I beat the game on level 87. I've seen people on the steam page posting they were 100 levels higher than me when beating the game. Talk about a f-king grind lol

Last edited:
Well I just got past the second major boss and made it to a certain factory...and I am freaking loving this game. While it's not open levels like Dark Souls I definitely get that vibe when going through the levels. Then I found and played my first record and listened to nearly the whole thing. Was hauntingly beautiful. Starting to get a hang of combat. Checkpoints are very fair. Really digging it so far.

Back