LGA 775 issues

theproject

Weaksauce
I have an oem core 2 duo and so when i tried using the heat sink i bought... i ran into issues with those stupid plastic clips not holding like they are supposed too.

Does anybody know of an LGA 775 heat sink that uses something other than plastic clips???

i finally have all of my parts together for my new rig and a 2 cent clip is holding me back....
:mad:

What do you mean "not holding"? Like the heatsink falling off? The stock HSF clips should hold onto the mobo with the correct installation. Did you check to make sure the black clip tabs are not rotated to the release position? When installing the stock HSF for the first time, you should try installing it with the mobo outside the case. Press down gently on the heatsink and press down on the plastic clips in an "X" pattern. Afterwards check the underside of the mobo to confirm that all the clips engaged and to the same depth.

There is a video on Youtube made by Intel which might help. Search on Youtube for "Socket 775 installation"

Alternatively, there are 775 heatsinks that use bolt through screws and backplates instead of the clips.

You have to press quite hard on the last pin to push it through. And if the whole thing is falling off... well, you're just not pressing hard enough. You'll inevitably get some board flex.

You could get a Scythe Ninja and a Thermalright bolt through kit if you wanted.

yeah i HATE those push pins, i refuse to use a HS that doesnt use a backplate nowdays.

thanks for the replies... i had been away camping all weekend so i couldnt answer ur questions till now...

yes, i checked to make sure the clips were not in the release position. i had all the clips in place and locked until one of them popped back off. the little ridges that hold the clip in place sheared off and is no longer large enough to provide enough resistance to keep the clip in the locked position. i havent been up to date on heat sinks and did not know about the plastic clips until it was too late, several reviews on newegg and tiger show that a lot of other people seem to have the same issue i have. i just want a good heat sink that uses a back plate. i dont like the idea of so much force being held by such little plastic

thanks for the replies... i had been away camping all weekend so i couldnt answer ur questions till now...

yes, i checked to make sure the clips were not in the release position. i had all the clips in place and locked until one of them popped back off. the little ridges that hold the clip in place sheared off and is no longer large enough to provide enough resistance to keep the clip in the locked position. i havent been up to date on heat sinks and did not know about the plastic clips until it was too late, several reviews on newegg and tiger show that a lot of other people seem to have the same issue i have. i just want a good heat sink that uses a back plate. i dont like the idea of so much force being held by such little plastic

get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, and through a high CFM fan on it, if your on a budget.... great cooler, uses push pins still but they actually work, and that setup will be good for some pretty decent overclocking...thats the setup i run before i went pelteir cooled... my 930D (Presler) dual core @ 3.7GHz would peak in the low 60's... and they run hotter than C2D's...

the little ridges that hold the clip in place sheared off and is no longer large enough to provide enough resistance to keep the clip in the locked position. i havent been up to date on heat sinks and did not know about the plastic clips until it was too late, several reviews on newegg and tiger show that a lot of other people seem to have the same issue i have. i just want a good heat sink that uses a back plate. i dont like the idea of so much force being held by such little plastic

It sounds like the clip was either defective or damaged during the installation. If the pin isn't lined up right with the mounting hole, the pin can be bent or broken when pushed down.

If you do use a push-pin heatsink, you shouldn't worry about the force on the pins. The push-pins hold up fine with heatsinks they are paired with. Heavier heatsinks get paired with a bolt through kit. Popular bolt through kits IIRC, are the Ninja, Turniq Tower, and that Thermalright one (name escapes me.)

Alternatively, Thermalright sells a bolt through kit which could be used on a push-pin heatsink to convert it to a bolt through heatsink.

EDIT: Beaten by delvryboy

Back