LG 2023 OLED TVs

Sony really charges too much for their name. Like they make good TVs that tend to have premium features, but then they go too far on the premium pricing.

They were the shit in the late 80's through the 90's, but today I'd consider them a second tier brand, nowhere near their heyday. LG and Samsung are at the top.

They were the shit in the late 80's through the 90's, but today I'd consider them a second tier brand, nowhere near their heyday. LG and Samsung are at the top.
I dunno, form the testing it looks like Sony makes QD-OLEDs that are better than Samsung because they track the PQ EOTF better and have less jank firmware, as well as an additional heatsink. They still seem to make good stuff, but it is too expensive.

As my luck would have it, Best Buy just dropped the price today by a further $100 under what I paid just the day before.

I wonder if they can be persuaded to give me a $100 refund

I guess Best Buy were feeling charitable today. I'll be getting $100 + tax back.

I guess it never hurts to ask (and to be polite with customer service while doing so)

Are you talking about the two legs, one on each side like on the 42" models
From what I have seen, and what friends have shown me, yeah it's the TVs that have a setup like this, with a set of legs on either side. The sizes of the HDTVs that belong to friends whose feet have failed have ranged from 55" to 77". I think a 42" should be okay with whatever it comes with. I wouldn't take any chances though. The feet on the 42" C3 look different from the thin flimsy ones I've seen on other LG TVs, but I have no idea how sturdy they are. Did I mention that the feet of LG TVs are often plastic? Are the ones for your C3 metal? Hard to tell from looking up pics of the TV.

What kind of stand would you use for it?
That is a very good question, and not being an owner of such a TV (yet), I haven't even looked into what I would use instead of the feet/stands that come with the TVs.

1696957949350.png
Actually this reminds me of a 27" 1440p curved Samsung monitor with a VA panel I used to have (sold it after about 8 months or so). Every time a white background or anything bright was on-screen, it would flash-burn my retinas, and I would scream in pain. It felt a lot like this:

View: https://youtu.be/dG-n8vxRmAI?t=59 (the part at 0:59).

I think I am going to try this one.
Sure, seems worth a shot. Better than sticking with the default legs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I have seen, and what friends have shown me, yeah it's the TVs that have a setup like this, with a set of legs on either side. The sizes of the HDTVs that belong to friends whose feet have failed have ranged from 55" to 77". I think a 42" should be okay with whatever it comes with. I wouldn't take any chances though. The feet on the 42" C3 look different from the thin flimsy ones I've seen on other LG TVs, but I have no idea how sturdy they are. Did I mention that the feet of LG TVs are often plastic? Are the ones for your C3 metal? Hard to tell from looking up pics of the TV.

These are some sort of high density resin, not exactly sure what kind, but they do feel rather sturdy. Still, I wasn't liking my ghetto temporary setup anyway, so I went ahead and ordered the TV stand I posted above. Hopefully the dimensions work out for my setup. It's always a gamble with these things. They never post all of the dimensions you need in order to make a more educated decision.

These two statements are contradictory. Unless you're running your own media server then the cord cutting experience is best on WebOS. I can say that with confidence being a cord cutter myself and having used Windows apps, Android TV, and WebOS.

The cord cutting experience is best on tvOS. Thankfully Samsung, LG and Sony all can all startup straight to the hdmi port that their respective Apple TVs are plugged into and I can avoid the built in software for the most part.

I'm starting to figure out this screen, but I still either have some getting used to it to do, or some figuring out of settings.

At the settings the video guide I posted above recommended, it is great on the desktop in SDR mode, except colors are just too damn unnatural and saturated. Everything "pops" which kind of looks awful to me. I kind of wish it had an sRGB mode so I could tone all of that shit down to more natural looking tones.

There is a color setting, and turning it down helps make the colors look more natural, but it also makes things look a little washed out, which is odd.

On the desktop in HDR mode I find it unusably bright. Do people actually leave HDR on on the desktop? I find I can't use this screen that way. It is just too damn bright. The guide said to leave the OLED Pixel Brightness at 100 for desktop HDR, but that is unusable to be. I have to turn it down a lot to make it comfortable or any white window (or even a white icon) is an eye scorcher.

In games that have well defined HDR, HDR on this screen looks utterly amazing though. Cyberpunk is a good example. It is a thing of beauty. I just wish I could have that without all of the desktop sacrifices :p

Because dealing with Samsung customer support is a lot worse than LG support.
I had something wrong with my Neo QLED TV and within several days, Samsung sent out two techs to fix it for free. I don't have any terrible experience with their customer support.

On the desktop in HDR mode I find it unusably bright. Do people actually leave HDR on on the desktop? I find I can't use this screen that way. It is just too damn bright. The guide said to leave the OLED Pixel Brightness at 100 for desktop HDR, but that is unusable to be. I have to turn it down a lot to make it comfortable or any white window (or even a white icon) is an eye scorcher.
Use the SDR brightness slider in Windows Display Settings to set the desktop to match whatever you use in SDR mode.

I just realized that my C3 has an older firmware (3.11.45) and that there were some pretty significant updates in the last couple of firmwares.

Luckily LG still allows you to manually update firmware using a USB stick, so I won't have to connect the TV to the internet. Going to try that later this evening.

I just realized that my C3 has an older firmware (3.11.45) and that there were some pretty significant updates in the last couple of firmwares.

Luckily LG still allows you to manually update firmware using a USB stick, so I won't have to connect the TV to the internet. Going to try that later this evening.

Well, I upgraded the firmware to 3.20.13. It was supposed to be a pretty big one, but I can't tell any difference.

Most of the changes might have been to the WebOS portion of the TV which I don't use, so thats probably why. The basic grey settings screens still look the same :p

it hasn't been an issue in practice, it's just odd, that there are several options for sound processing, and whether you want to use external bluetooth speakers (connected to the TV of course :rolleyes: ) but none of those options are "off".

I was happily ignoring that the TV had sound at all until I accidentally cycled power to my Schiit DAC, and this made the OS switch sound inputs to the TV instead :p

If you use Windows 11 one feature I actually like is that you can tell it not to use certain devices for sound. I might be able to do something similar in Linux by blacklisting the Nvidia sound device, but I'll have to look into it.
Being able to disable audio devices without uninstalling them has actually been a feature since at least Windows XP.
Well, I upgraded the firmware to 3.20.13. It was supposed to be a pretty big one, but I can't tell any difference.

Most of the changes might have been to the WebOS portion of the TV which I don't use, so thats probably why. The basic grey settings screens still look the same :p
LG is like Sony when it comes to patch notes. I noticed that HDR while using VRR is more stable than the day 1 firmware after the updates. They also made some changes to the settings UI. My day 1 experience in changing the settings was a bad one, especially seeking out all the AI and voice features to turn them off. I kept getting a notification to accept the voice recognition EULA even though I explicitly told it "no" and it took me forever to find what setting was causing that pop up.

Being able to disable audio devices without uninstalling them has actually been a feature since at least Windows XP.

You've always been able to disable unwanted devices in Control Panel, as far back as Win95 I think, that is true, but they have the ability now to leave the driver enabled, and just tell the OS not to use it for audio output now. Minor distinction, but I like it.

LG is like Sony when it comes to patch notes. I noticed that HDR while using VRR is more stable than the day 1 firmware after the updates. They also made some changes to the settings UI. My day 1 experience in changing the settings was a bad one, especially seeking out all the AI and voice features to turn them off. I kept getting a notification to accept the voice recognition EULA even though I explicitly told it "no" and it took me forever to find what setting was causing that pop up.

I suspect you may have had an earlier manufacture date TV with an earlier firmware than mine. I read that there was a day 1 issue with darks being crushed in HDR mode that was patched as well, but starting with 3.11.45 mine already had that fixed.

You've always been able to disable unwanted devices in Control Panel, as far back as Win95 I think, that is true, but they have the ability now to leave the driver enabled, and just tell the OS not to use it for audio output now. Minor distinction, but I like it.

What I mean is this:

1697465653194.png

This doesn't disable the driver, it just tells Windows not to use it for audio output.
I suspect you may have had an earlier manufacture date TV with an earlier firmware than mine. I read that there was a day 1 issue with darks being crushed in HDR mode that was patched as well, but starting with 3.11.45 mine already had that fixed.
I bought mine within the first few days they were available to purchase. There was a firmware update nearly every day during the first two weeks.

Yeah, I had to go on eBay and buy a replacement remote without the accelerometer "wii-mote" / whatever they call it feature.

It is absolutely obnoxious, and even more obnoxious that there is no way to turn that garbage off.

Thus far, a week into owning my first LG TV, the accelerometer in the remote is the worst part about about owning an LG TV.

I hate it with an absolute passion.

I don't understand how they keep doubling down on this bullshit given how many messages I see of people wanting to smash or return their TV's over it.

And LG seems stupidly proud of this dumb feature, which makes no sense either. My Samsung JS9000 i bought in 2015 had a wii-mote feature very much like this, but at least they had the common decency of hiding it until you press the button that intentionally brings it up, so I never had to see their damn pointer.

At the very least there should be a settings option to disable this crap.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had to go on eBay and buy a replacement remote without the accelerometer "wii-mote" / whatever they call it feature.

It is absolutely obnoxious, and even more obnoxious that there is no way to turn that garbage off.

Thus far, a week into owning my first LG TV, the accelerometer in the remote is the worst part about about owning an LG TV.

I hate it with an absolute passion.

I don't understand how they keep doubling down on this bullshit given how many messages I see of people wanting to smash or return their TV's over it.

And LG seems stupidly proud of this dumb feature, which makes no sense either. My Samsung JS9000 i bought in 2015 had a wii-mote feature very much like this, but at least they had the common decency of hiding it until you press the button that intentionally brings it up, so I never had to see their damn cursor.

At the very least there should be a settings option to disable this crap.
Yeah dawg, you're preaching to the choir here. That remote is literally the only reason why I do NOT want to buy an LG HDTV. You're right that it is the worst part about owning an LG TV, by faaaar. You called it "obnoxious" but that doesn't even begin to cover it. "I hate it with an absolute passion." Join the club.

Like you, I don't understand how they kept doing this bullshit for so many years despite all the many complaints. I don't know a single person who owns an LG HDTV who doesn't fucking hate the wiimote pointer remote.

You're also right that LG for some fucking reason seems quite proud of the feature. And why we don't even get the option to disable it, I have no idea. I'd like to know what kind of expensive, high-grade drugs they are doing over there.

So you got a replacement remote huh? I'm glad this is even an option. I don't yet own an LG HDTV, but when I do get one, I would very much like to NOT throw the remote into the TV in anger and frustration.

You guys must have some severe shaky hand syndrome or something because I never activate the gyro stuff unless it's intentional.

I have never been able to use the remote without it activating.

Pick up the remote to go to picture settings by long pressing the settings button activates it 100% of the time.

I don't think my hands are shaky at all.

The arc-angle may have something to do with it though, as I am sitting ~2ft from the screen, holding the remote in my hand maybe 1ft in front of me.

I imagine it might be better from further away.

Yeah I'm also happy using the remote. Since I use the smart TV functionality of the TV, I think it's massively better for e.g typing anything than moving a cursor manually. LG WebOS is also the "least terrible" smart TV OS I've tried.

Even when I used the LG CX 48" as a desktop monitor, I had the remote on the desk and it never accidentally activated.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Seriously complaining about the Wii remote control? The second you press any of the directional buttons the pointer goes away. You people just like to bitch just to bitch. This the dumbest shit to complain about.

I have never been able to use the remote without it activating.

Pick up the remote to go to picture settings by long pressing the settings button activates it 100% of the time.

I don't think my hands are shaky at all.

The arc-angle may have something to do with it though, as I am sitting ~2ft from the screen, holding the remote in my hand maybe 1ft in front of me.

I imagine it might be better from further away.
Yes, but when you press any of the directional buttons the cursor goes away.

I had an LG projector with the motion remote and liked it a lot. The cursor took a big wave of the hand to get to come up, so I'm not sure how you guys are doing it accidentally.

Yes, but when you press any of the directional buttons the cursor goes away.

Yeah, but then it comes up again the next time you touch the remote. There is no way to make it disappear for good. I know you can quickly dismiss it, but It is very bothersome and distracting when it pops up.

If I had a problem like this, I would just open the remote and disable/remove the motion sensor from the PCB. Must not be that hard to find and do. ;)

Edit: unless it's baked into the IC of the remote.

I like the remote, my family likes it have 2 buddies with LG Tvs and they both independently brought up that they like the remote and miss it when using another tv. Just goes to show - anything you like there’s people out there who don’t and vice versa.
I accidentally broke mine and found that most non oem remotes on amazon don’t have the feature (and they are inexpensive) but I bought an oem replacement.

I like the remote, my family likes it have 2 buddies with LG Tvs and they both independently brought up that they like the remote and miss it when using another tv. Just goes to show - anything you like there’s people out there who don’t and vice versa.
I accidentally broke mine and found that most non oem remotes on amazon don’t have the feature (and they are inexpensive) but I bought an oem replacement.

I guess at the very least what we can agree on is that it is highly polarizing, enough so that LG probably should have offered an option in settings to disable/enable it so people can choose for themselves.

I guess at the very least what we can agree on is that it is highly polarizing, enough so that LG probably should have offered an option in settings to disable/enable it so people can choose for themselves.

Nah man, you guys are just boomers. You press the up button on the remote and it instantly goes away.
No need to clutter the menu with more options and add complexity because you can't handle seeing a red arrow for 2 seconds.

My remote for my LG C2 42 inch is not supposed to be a Nintendo Wii controller. The handful of times I use it, I always use the outer pad so I can click where I want to go.

Nah man, you guys are just boomers. You press the up button on the remote and it instantly goes away.
No need to clutter the menu with more options and add complexity because you can't handle seeing a red arrow for 2 seconds.

Its annoying when it pops up. It distracts me, and it takes my brain a second to remember that I can just push a button to make it go away.

It's probably more ADHD than boomer.

I'd probably get used to that and file it in muscle memory over time, but I shouldn't have to adapt to technology. Technology should adapt to my preferences. As a user, I am the center of the world, and if I don't want it, I shouldn't have to deal with it.

I'd adapt to it if I found any value in it what so ever, but to me it seems like just a gimmick. Digital directional buttons are much more precise than a random wobbly multi axis 2d space control device.

And I disagree about settings bloat. To me every device should have advanced settings allowing you to tweak all of the details and the ability to customize a device down to the very nuts and bolts.

These are settings that your average normies will never look at, but hose of us that care should have the option

The hidden configuration on this TV (accessible by long pressing the input button) has some settings like that, for instance, like the ability to disable the bright colorful artwork that displays when you lose HDMI signal, but there is surprisingly little in there.

As a tech guy, I want to be able to tweak and change every minute detail of every product I own to my liking. That's one of the reasons I hate everything Apple. It's their happy path way or the highway, and I'll never be OK with that.

I never want the "sleek polished consumer device" experience from anything I ever buy. I always want complete engineering details, and over the top customization.

Heck, I don't even want any of the WebOS smart features on this or any TV (even the ones I use as TV's). Just give me HDMI inputs and the ability to go nuts tweaking input and picture settings and that will make me happy, because I will never use the smart features of any TV or ever allow them to connect to my network.

"Things" should never have internet. Only computers.

I kind of find it annoying I can't shut them off completely, as well. I presume there is some sort of ARM based board in there powering all of this. If it were up to me the arm board providing smart features would be an optional.l module you could pull if you don't want to use it. Even better if it were an option when buying the TV so you don't have to pay for the damn thing, becaise I bet it adds a ton of cost.

I'll just plug in my desired sources instead.

Its annoying when it pops up. It distracts me, and it takes my brain a second to remember that I can just push a button to make it go away.

I'd probably get used to that and file it in muscle memory over time, but I shouldn't have to adapt to technology. Technology should adapt to my preferences. As a user, I am the center of the world, and if I don't want it, I shouldn't have to deal with it.

I'd adapt to it if I found any value in it what so ever, but to me it seems like just a gimmick. Digital directional buttons are much more precise than a random wobbly multi axis 2d space control device.

And I disagree about settings bloat. To me every device should have advanced settings allowing you to tweak all of the details and the ability to customize a device down to the very nuts and bolts.

These are settings that your average normies will never look at, but hose of us that care should have the option

The hidden configuration on this TV (accessible by long pressing the input button) has some settings like that, for instance, like the ability to disable the bright colorful artwork that displays when you lose HDMI signal, but there is surprisingly little in there.

As a tech guy, I want to be able to tweak and change every minute detail of every product I own to my liking. That's one of the reasons I hate everything Apple. It's their happy path way or the highway, and I'll never be OK with that.

I never want the "sleek polished consumer device" experience from anything I ever buy. I always want complete engineering details, and over the top customization.

Heck, I don't even want any of the WebOS smart features on this or any TV (even the ones I use as TV's). Just give me HDMI inputs and the ability to go nuts tweaking input and picture settings and that will make me happy, because I will never use the smart features of any TV or ever allow them to connect to my network.

I kind of find it annoying I can't shut them off completely, as well. I presume there is some sort of ARM based board in there powering all of this. If it were up to me the arm board providing smart features would be an optional.l module you could pull if you don't want to use it. Even better if it were an option when buying the TV so you don't have to pay for the damn thing, becaise I bet it adds a ton of cost.

Technology would not grow if it had to be held back for boomers who find every minor change. Making mountains out of ant hills.

Last edited:

I could agree with you if it was for a real issue, but it's not. It's a red pointer that shows up for 2 seconds.

And using the pointer is actually faster in a lot of scenarios.

It's a you problem, not a design problem. You can blame that on ADHD or whatever, but to me it sounds like stereotypical boomer thing where you're too stubborn to adapt to new technology that is actually better than the old crap you used to use.

I could agree with you if it was for a real issue, but it's not. It's a red pointer that shows up for 2 seconds.

And using the pointer is actually faster in a lot of scenarios.

It's a you problem, not a design problem. You can blame that on ADHD or whatever, but to me it sounds like stereotypical boomer thing where you're too stubborn to adapt to new technology that is actually better than the old crap you used to use.
To me, it sounds like the stereotypical younger generation blaming everything on the older gen. I am gen x , been an IT pro for 24 years, into tech for at least 40 years and this Wii controller stuff is a joke, at least to me.

To me, it sounds like the stereotypical younger generation blaming everything on the older gen. I am gen x , been an IT pro for 24 years, into tech for at least 40 years and this Wii controller stuff is a joke, at least to me.
I don't have any problem I'm blaming boomers for.... You guys can't deal with a red arrow appearing for 2 seconds. I don't have any problems with it.

I don't have any problem I'm blaming boomers for.... You guys can't deal with a red arrow appearing for 2 seconds. I don't have any problems with it.

Nope, instead, you cannot consider the possiblity that you may be wrong or worse, that we do not think like you do and therefore, are not in lockstep wtih you. The cool thing is, I no longer take things personally, which is why I am doing really well but you seem to have an issue with those who disagree with your point of view, at least in this case.

The photos I have seen are magnified out the ass. Of course your going to notice it at that level. It's an overblown issue and nit picking something that really doesn't exit. Only if your microscopically looking for it. Way overblown.

Yeah I would definitely agree. My first reaction was dislike until I got used to it and used it instinctively. The main reason I brought it up is that there are 7.99 remotes on amazon with free shipping that look identical but without motion if anyone is looking for an option, but LG should just make a setting to disable it.

Back