Lenovo TS-440 Server / no HDD, 4GB Xeon V3

stiltner

[H]F Junkie
Tigerdirect.com has this barebones server with NO OS, NO HDD (you need to buy caddy's too), 4GB RAM, it has built in RAID controller from Intel chipset. All in all, a solid server.

Mine was $349 + $18 shipping then take $25 off for Visa Checkout.

Total was $342, lowest ever price showing on Amazon was like $399-402 range. So, an overall decent deal on a very capable server.

Mine will be running 8GB ram for Ubiquiti Unifi video with a 12TB RAID5

PRICE DROPPED to $299, GO GO GO

Last edited:
Nope it doesn't. They don't come with them that way from the factory. Lenovo figures if you want hot swap, gotta pay for it I guess.

Kinda lame, but it keeps the price point down I suppose?

It has the 480w psu. I had to put a new psu into the TS-140 with the 280w thats been selling everywhere

Looks to be the best price currently, but Newegg and TD have both had that server at $299 in the past month or so.

Not bad... I picked up a 70AQ000YUX last holiday season with an Xeon 1245V3 for 350 dollars. Note that it also includes the legendary 9240-8i (which can be crossflashed to a 9211-8i which I have done.) Felt like that was a bit hotter.

Note that this DOES NOT come with caddies, they are purchased seperately. They only come with fillers to make it look pretty. They can be purchased on Amazon or fleebay. They run about 15-20 dollars per caddy.

Last edited:
It has the 480w psu. I had to put a new psu into the TS-140 with the 280w thats been selling everywhere
I think the psu is actually 450w, but it is 80 plus gold. I dont see why you couldnt run a pretty decent video card with this, say around a gtx 970. Also unlike the ts140 there appears to be more than enough room for the length of the card (assuming that plug above the sata port doesnt impede anything.) Note that if this was to be a gaming rig or even an office workstation it has no onboard audio and would need a card for sound.

Note that this DOES NOT come with caddies, they are purchased seperately. They only come with fillers to make it look pretty. They can be purchased on Amazon or fleebay. They run about 15-20 dollars per caddy.

Do these also only come with only the first hot swap cage or do they have both?

Yeah it has onboard LSI 92xx series, SATA/SAS with hot swap ability. Its basically a M1015 variant that you can flash to IT onboard.

So the SAS port makes sense

I think the psu is actually 450w, but it is 80 plus gold. I dont see why you couldnt run a pretty decent video card with this, say around a gtx 970. Also unlike the ts140 there appears to be more than enough room for the length of the card (assuming that plug above the sata port doesnt impede anything.) Note that if this was to be a gaming rig or even an office workstation it has no onboard audio and would need a card for sound.

Cool. I saw 480w somewhere but 450 is great. I took the 280w out the TS-140 I saw here for $285 (with Xeon E3.1225V3) I put in a EVGA 650 P2 ($70 with rebate) and another 4GB of ECC RAM for $26. I added in my 11 month old Intel 730 SSD and a AMD 7850. For $381 in new stuff I got a nice little upgrade from my E8600. I was waiting for Skylake but it was a bit underwhelming. These Lenovos are nice deals - quiet!

Yeah it has onboard LSI 92xx series, SATA/SAS with hot swap ability. Its basically a M1015 variant that you can flash to IT onboard.

So the SAS port makes sense

This one does not have the on-board LSI raid. That's a different more expensive variant.

Man now I am having a hard time resisting... only thing that is stopping me is shipping for me is $36.68. Must resist...

I feel the same. Although I expect the deal to come back so I will probably resist. I would purchase this to replace my linux based server / htpc which has been a core2quad box since December 2008. I purchased this after selling my shares of AMD (with a large profit > 50% in 2 weeks of ownership) + got crazy 35%+ ebay black friday bing cashback.

Last edited:
I need a PC for the following tasks...
-Plex media server (1 maybe 2 concurrent streams occasionally)
-Storage (NAS)
-Virtualization/Learning (Cisco VIRL/random VMs)

Would this fit the bill if I threw 32GB ram into it? Not sure how the processor will hold up. I would be learning/using ESXi and variants of Linux for OS.

Not sure how the processor will hold up.

I say pretty well. This is a Haswell based xeon with 3.2GHz stock and 3.6 GHz turbo. No HT on the E3-1225 v3.

Edit: I though this was the 1245V3 so many models on sale..

I say pretty well. This is a Haswell based xeon with 3.2GHz stock and 3.6 GHz turbo. No HT on the E3-1225 v3.

Edit: I though this was the 1245V3 so many models on sale..

The E3-1225 v3 and 1245 v3 are both exceptionally fast. Obviously the 1245 is a little better but its not by leaps and bounds. Hyperthreading is a nice feature, but it doesnt help with multitasking as much as people think. "seeing" 8 cores vs 4 while in task manager, assiging cores in VM configs etc really gets to peoples heads.

The 1245 is anywhere from 2-10% faster in benchmarks, but thats mostly from being clocked 200mhz higher, not from hyperthreading.

TLDR; both CPU's are very good.

This one does not have the on-board LSI raid. That's a different more expensive variant.

then what is the card in picture?

It looks like a SAS card

cnet_7ff4_gallery.jpg

that looks like a SAS port to me

Worse comes to worse I can complain and see where that gets me.

says it has raid but might be referring to IRST :/

Yes, you're right, I'm wrong.

Its the Lenovo RAID 100 controller as they refer to it.

Its the Intel RST RAID.

I just bought a M1015 controller and RAID 5 key anyway for the build I'm using this for before I even bought the server, so it doesn't really affect me.

I might not even buy the hot swap caddy and just do 4 drives. This isn't a situaton where I'm going to be swapping drives all the time, its gonna store video camera footage, and nothing more.

But I need it to easily be able to keep up with 50-60MB/sec total streams w/o issue.

is that controller any good?

If what you're using it with supports SoftRAID, then yes, its RAID0/1/5/10 capable, so its not terrible, if you're on Windows.

If you're on a single Linux setup, again, supported

If you're using VMWare, you're gonna have a bad day, it doesn't support software RAID based controllers last I knew.

If thats your goal is to use this machine for VM"s, you're gonna go JBOD, or buy a 3rd party controller (again, an M1015 is about $75 for RAID 0/1/10 capability, or flashed to IT mode for FreeNAS etc stuff)

If what you're using it with supports SoftRAID, then yes, its RAID0/1/5/10 capable, so its not terrible, if you're on Windows.

If you're on a single Linux setup, again, supported

If you're using VMWare, you're gonna have a bad day, it doesn't support software RAID based controllers last I knew.

If thats your goal is to use this machine for VM"s, you're gonna go JBOD, or buy a 3rd party controller (again, an M1015 is about $75 for RAID 0/1/10 capability, or flashed to IT mode for FreeNAS etc stuff)

k thanks for the info. So its really like a crappy HBA and not an actual RAID card. Only win software...gotcha

For accurate specifications, please see Lenovo's PFREF's linked below

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/svbook.pdf

Note that the 9UX has an E3-1225V3, 1x 4 bay cage with no caddies. The 4 bay cage is connected via SFF-8087 to a breakout cable to 4 SATA ports on the motherboard. This uses the Intel chipset for RAID and connectivity. The picture is incorrect and may represent the YUX.

Back