Lenovo pre built, uses a OEM MSI GD45 board

burned-ati

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I got a Lenovo Erazer X700 workstation gaming PC. The Motherboard is a Green OEM looking board. Then when I looked at the manual online, it says MSI M-ATX X79 motherboard. Then I browsed around, and realized MSI makes the GD-45 M-atx X79 board.

By looking at the pictures of it, and comparing mine. They are identical.

I have tried the drivers from MSI website for the GD-45, and all of them work for my computer.

Can I flash my bios to the GD-45?

The only real difference is, my board is OEM green. And the MSI GD-45 is blue.

In my bios, it looks like the MSI GD45 bios screens on there website. And in my OEM bios it has option for UEFI, and Legacy mode. Although, when I select UEFI bios mode, it doesnt load it. It just looks the same as the legacy bios.

Also, My FSB control is grayed out. I cannot access it. Although, I can control the multiplier. Max is 43 on the 3820.

I would love to flash this to a GD-45 and push this 3820 a little further, and even have a UEFI bios would be great!

Any and all help is much appreciated! Or, itleast how can I get to my FSB control? With it being the color grey, and locked.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend that you stick to the bios provided directly from Lenovo for compatibility sake. If it were me I would try to find a BIOS modding forum and try to get help unlocking that bios. with that system I would definitely recommend that it be run stock as roi won't be that good. I would suggest that you take off the power saving features if you want it to be a little more powerful and not be allowed to throttle down. There are also other windows utilities that may assist with the changing of bclk but that isn't the best way to OC over the long run

I wouldn't be too worried personally about finding the drivers on a retail motherboard. I don't think your oem sticker OS key will work on a retail mobo though, so factor that in too. If I wanted the option to overclock that badly (it sounds like you do) I would try flashing it, but know that I very well may end up with a brick. I bet the Lenovo bios won't let you though.

The real question is is the bios chip remove able so if it bricks you could replace it or alternately have you considered buying the retail version of that board and swapping it in.

Back