Kryosheet is awesome

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
My Sapphire 7900XTX Pulse has had a really big temp to hotspot delta since I bought it, out of the box it was like 84C/110C. I pulled the heatsink and found there was almost no paste on it and the corners weren't covered, so I repasted it. This dropped the hotspot to around 100C with core temps dropping 4-5C. Out of curiosity I picked up a Kryosheet, since its conductive I put kapton tape around the die and put the sheet on. This is what I'm getting now after running Cyberpunk 2077 for over an hour. My fans are now running at 1600rpm instead of 3000rpm, its fantastic.

temps.png

Is the factory heatsink mounting pressure poor? It would seem that the Kryosheet might be doing a better job filling any voids between the heatsink and GPU die than the previous thermal paste applications.

these the ones jayz2cents was raving about?

I'm not sure, I've used these before and they always worked well with no cleanup which is a big plus to me especially with AM5, but this was the first time I dared to put one on a GPU because its conductive. The only real downside is they can be hard to handle. I have several of them, I use the 40x40 IC Graphite ones on every CPU since they come $15 for a pair and you can reuse them infinitely as long as you don't tear it.

Is the factory heatsink mounting pressure poor? It would seem that the Kryosheet might be doing a better job filling any voids between the heatsink and GPU die than the previous thermal paste applications.

Yes, I believe so. I tried putting 0.5mm plastic washers on the back the second time I remounted it and it was better.

Also, apparently I messed up and double posting trying to add quotes lol

these the ones jayz2cents was raving about?

Might be. I actually just watched that video now. I don't even understand his video title. If anything, I came out of that video more confused than before as to why he would say they were recommended. They didn't actually decrease temps during his testing, as far as I could see. They were more or less the same. The sheet is conductive, and rips easily. I think it's a dumb product, although maybe it has some uses in niches like this...? Thermal paste takes several years to dry out, from what I saw with a brief google, and a tube of thermal paste will last several repastings...

Might be. I actually just watched that video now. I don't even understand his video title. If anything, I came out of that video more confused than before as to why he would say they were recommended. They didn't actually decrease temps during his testing, as far as I could see. They were more or less the same. The sheet is conductive, and rips easily. I think it's a dumb product, although maybe it has some uses in niches like this...? Thermal paste takes several years to dry out, from what I saw with a brief google, and a tube of thermal paste will last several repastings...

The only thing that drops temps is lapping the IHS, these will only drop temps in cases like this GPU where the gap was too big and it can't physically squish out like paste.

At the end of the day the tiny die size of modern CPU is the real bottleneck in heat transfer. Some of the youtubers have been misleading people into thinking that a carbon pad is a magic bullet for better temperatures but its simply a convenience thing, I move a lot of hardware around and these make my life easier and in this particular case solve a problem. I quite like them because I can swap a CPU as fast as I can remove the cooler now without having to clean stuff up and if you have to go back and forth a few times in a day you use a LOT of paste.

For me I think this is a great product. I keep some machines going as long as a decade. So they have to be maintained every year or two and sometimes they need to be repasted for whatever reason.

It's an easy clean method that eliminates a pain in the backside.

The only thing that drops temps is lapping the IHS, these will only drop temps in cases like this GPU where the gap was too big and it can't physically squish out like paste.

At the end of the day the tiny die size of modern CPU is the real bottleneck in heat transfer. Some of the youtubers have been misleading people into thinking that a carbon pad is a magic bullet for better temperatures but its simply a convenience thing, I move a lot of hardware around and these make my life easier and in this particular case solve a problem. I quite like them because I can swap a CPU as fast as I can remove the cooler now without having to clean stuff up and if you have to go back and forth a few times in a day you use a LOT of paste.
I agree with your thoughts on Kryosheets.

However, tiny die size isn't really a problem yet, for heat transfer.

Zen 4 has two problems for heat:

1. in order to maintain compatibility with existing coolers, they used a thicker IHS, to make the overall height of the CPU, the same.
2. The dies for the CCD's with the CPU cores, are not at the center of the CPU. They are at the bottom edge. This subverts the design of heatsinks. Noctua has released mounting bars which offset their coolers 7mm, to try and center the cooler over the CCD dies. it helps 1 - 3 degrees. But, it also means that some of the cooler's contact plate is hanging out in the air. Not contacting the IHS at all.

Intel's CPU's don't have a heat transfer issue. They use more power, but also transfer heat relatively better than Zen 4. Because their CPU die is centered and the IHS is still about as thin as usual.

Intel's CPU's don't have a heat transfer issue. They use more power, but also transfer heat relatively better than Zen 4. Because their CPU die is centered and the IHS is still about as thin as usual.

Unfortunately, even if they transfer it better, at the end of the day the cooler still needs to handle the sheer wattage difference between AMD and Intel with its capacity. Even if the heat transfer is worse, the entire current gen X3D set of chips is remarkably efficient, so that counterbalances it pretty well. Not to mention it's dumping less heat into your room and/or case to begin with, which holistically helps temps regardless.

I agree with your thoughts on Kryosheets.

However, tiny die size isn't really a problem yet, for heat transfer.

Zen 4 has two problems for heat:

1. in order to maintain compatibility with existing coolers, they used a thicker IHS, to make the overall height of the CPU, the same.
2. The dies for the CCD's with the CPU cores, are not at the center of the CPU. They are at the bottom edge. This subverts the design of heatsinks. Noctua has released mounting bars which offset their coolers 7mm, to try and center the cooler over the CCD dies. it helps 1 - 3 degrees. But, it also means that some of the cooler's contact plate is hanging out in the air. Not contacting the IHS at all.

I understand your point, but realistically both brands drop 20-30C with direct die cooling. Intel pushes a lot more power through it and AMD has an inefficient shape. Either way, its not like the old days where you could desolder and delid a chip and only drop 3-5C.

My main point was carbon sheets aren't some kind of magic unless you've got a situation like this GPU where it needed just a little more pressure. They're just incredibly convenient and don't dry up. I'm not sure how the different brands stack up, I bought the Thermal Grizzly one because its size was just right. Its texture is certainly different than the other brand I use for CPUs.

Back