Kids PC

Looking to build a PC for the kids, to keep them off mine and out if the office.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Light Gaming, Flash Games, YouTube etc
2) What's your budget? No budget restrictions
3) Which country do you live in? Canada, Alberta. Most likely Newegg.ca, NCIX, etc
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Case, PSU, Mobo, Ram, CPU, Cooler, Bluray drive, keyboard, mouse.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
-?256GB Crucial M4 (sitting around, as I now have a Crucial 500)
Anything from current rig really, though not planning on it.
6) Will you be overclocking? No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? Either my current 23x1920x1080, or something in the 24-27 area.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Anytime now.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? Onboard audio, USB3, gigabit Lan.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? No

I'd like to have something similar to my Raven 2 Evo. It's big, but cools well, and is honestly near silent (when GPU isn't maxed out and heavily OCed.

I will be putting a big cooler in regardless (like my NH-D14) just to keep it quiet. This will be in the corner of my rec room, so quiet is top notch in my books.

Fast and dirty build we go:
Intel Core i3 4130
MSI B85 mobo
8GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM
LG UH12NS30 Blu-ray drive
Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W PSU

As for low noise cases, I recommend the following ATX cases:
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ATX Case
$114 - Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ATX Case
$110 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$130 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case

You should try out the keyboard and mouse in-person if you can as those are very subjective input items.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's for the kids, so it really doesn't matter, kids are currently tomorrow morning/3/5. So personal preference won't matter really. I like my keyboard and mouse, I do to think they need a G510.

As long as they stay out of the office, and off the business PC I'm happy. They like to move and delete stuff off desktop.

So if I'm reading that right, you got a kid due tomorrow. If so, congrats! Hope everything goes well.

hot-wheels-computer.jpeg

I've seen those. I was thinking of a Mac mini too. But I need a mini for my automation platform, so don't want them being able to mess with the house.

Back