Kerberal Space Program- Awesome space indie game

Boy old Jeb never seems to loose that smile even when he is never going to make it back
kerbalcopy.jpg

I think I've set a new standard for failure. The crew dies before I even launch the thing. Then they die again when it explodes!:D

Boy old Jeb never seems to loose that smile even when he is never going to make it back

i've only seen 1 flyable ship ever scare the shit out of Jeb, no one knows why he got scared either since it was probably the best flying giant craft i've ever seen.

I think I've set a new standard for failure. The crew dies before I even launch the thing. Then they die again when it explodes!:D

nein, i built a ship that collapsed and exploded even before it finished loading the launch pad sequence. all i saw was it loading and then crash, explosion.. and that was all she wrote.

What?!!? This was made with UNITY?!?!??!

Props to them for making this in unity.

yep the games using the unity3D engine. were just waiting for the 3.4 update to the engine which enables multithreading which should have a huge impact on frame rates.

using this mod..
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=1434.0

thats the absolute widest craft you can make.. took me about 10 attempts to find the exact angle so that the engines wouldn't hit the tower on the way up and break off.

Moving the ship around in the VAB moves it on the launch pad too, did you try that as well? You have to be careful because the ship can fall off the pad if you move it too far lol

They've been releasing experimental builds for version 0.9 over the past few days, I think they're at X4 right now. 0.9 changes the staging system around, it's easier to use now overall and the automatic placement of stages is a bit "smarter". For a full list of new features/bugfixes go here:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=694.0

I don't know what the status of modded parts is right now, but I would assume they should all still work. I'm pretty sure old save files for rockets don't work because of the way the staging system was changed(I think that's why anyway).

Version 0.9 is scheduled for release 8/12. Can't wait!

you can actually get the experimental clients.. a bunch of us have been working with harvester(primary coder for the game) trying to fix various bugs and testing things out. most of the annoying stuff has been ironed out so far. but the .9 client's makes building insanely complex rockets more user friendly as well. there will also be a new settings menu within the game that allows anti-aliasing and a few other options in the graphic settings.. games still very limited due to the unity3D engine still not supporting multi-threading.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=1547.0

the final release of v.9 on the 12th may be a stretch but it could be a possibility if nothing else is found wrong in the v.9 x5 client which so far we haven't really found anything.

Last edited:
you can actually get the experimental clients.. a bunch of us have been working with harvester(primary coder for the game) trying to fix various bugs and testing things out. most of the annoying stuff has been ironed out so far. but the .9 client's makes building insanely complex rockets more user friendly as well. there will also be a new settings menu within the game that allows anti-aliasing and a few other options in the graphic settings.. games still very limited due to the unity3D engine still not supporting multi-threading.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=1547.0

the final release of v.9 on the 12th may be a stretch but it could be a possibility if nothing else is found wrong in the v.9 x5 client which so far we haven't really found anything.

Are they going to upgrade the engine to support multi threading? Or is that not possible for these devs?

Are they going to upgrade the engine to support multi threading? Or is that not possible for these devs?

They might try to work on it in the future, but now they're focused on content and fixing glaring issues. They have a very limited budget in the terms of manpower, and trying to hack a 3rd party engine would eat most of it up. Their best hope is petitioning Unity to do the work themselves.

they have to wait for it to be added into the Unity3D engine which won't be til version 3.5 and well the unity3D devs are slow as fuck at doing anything so don't expect it any time soon. theres not much the KSP devs can do about it without completely changing engines.

Version 0.9 is scheduled for release 8/12. Can't wait!

i guess i have to eat my own words.. looks like they did get it out today.. though the sites getting hammered to death right because of it being released..

they really need to add some sort of objective beyond reaching space and leaving earths gravity. I've got probably 10 different craft that can do it with out mods alone.

they really need to add some sort of objective beyond reaching space and leaving earths gravity. I've got probably 10 different craft that can do it with out mods alone.

Game is Work in Progress...look at the upcoming features they want to add.

I'll download the new version tonight. How is the new staging? They mentioned in the forums that whole feature was being reworked.

the new staging is awesome.. heres an example..

DXf8Y.png

there are 22 total stages on this rocket.. it has 8 satellites that can independently be released one at a time (this is something you could of never done in the .8.5 version mind you this ship doesn't fly but its a perfect example of how kick ass the new staging is..

heres an example of a working rocket with 24 satellites and 33 total stages that can release each satellite independently..

TiXI5.png

just a warning it has a tendency to put engines in the wrong stage so make sure after building a rocket you go through and look were everything is.. its no longer a set and forget type deal with the old staging which is nice since it forces you to learn how to make the staging sequences.

the other nice thing about the staging is that if say your first stage is engines but you have plenty of fuel left. and you want to say release a satellite or something else in the next stage, you hit the space bar and it moves the engines to the next stage, you fire that stage and it will continue to do that until you get to the decoupler stage for those engines. which is why i was able to build that 24 satellite beast and still have usable engines through the entire flight..

8qI3G.png

objectives are coming soon.. right now harvester is working on redesigning the drag system so that its more efficient and ACCURATE. there's still a few small bugs they need to work out. but eventually down the road there will be missions, you will have the ability to built space stations in orbit, there are also plans to have some form of multiplayer they just aren't sure how they want to implement it so that its enjoyable for everyone and can't be ruined by some asshat(if they use a minecraft style multiplayer). the big thing that needs to happen is that unity3D releases the multi-threaded engine otherwise none of this stuff will matter because it will bog systems down to much. but harvester said if they delay the multi-threaded support in the next version of unity3D they may just go in and build their own system to support it.

i highly suggest you check out their forum, there is a ton of information there and way to much for me to post back over here talking about the future of the game and whats coming down the line..

Last edited:
the first photo, your ship, the horizontal connectors, where do you get those?
Thats my biggest issue, not being able to strap stuff tougher and it just sways apart.

Good lord man. I think the Kerbal people are going to start a religion and pray towards that. :D

That's like a flying pyramid. Awesome. I fell asleep last night so I didnt download it but I prob will tonight. I'm glad the staging has improved so much.

Thats my biggest issue, not being able to strap stuff tougher and it just sways apart.

I think that is the new strut that is in .9. You can click a point and then click a 2nd point and it will create a strut to reinforce it.

they are the strut connectors in the V.9 client.. they tend to work a little to well. they are basically indestructible. also another nice thing is that they will automatically disappear when you release the stage of what ever they are connected to. so if you have one stage connected to another with the struts it won't rip off all the parts because you forgot to move the strut into the correct stage..

there are 22 total stages on this rocket.. it has 8 satellites that can independently be released one at a time (this is something you could of never done in the .8.5 version mind you this ship doesn't fly but its a perfect example of how kick ass the new staging is..

heres an example of a working rocket with 24 satellites and 33 total stages that can release each satellite independently..

just a warning it has a tendency to put engines in the wrong stage so make sure after building a rocket you go through and look were everything is.. its no longer a set and forget type deal with the old staging which is nice since it forces you to learn how to make the staging sequences.

the other nice thing about the staging is that if say your first stage is engines but you have plenty of fuel left. and you want to say release a satellite or something else in the next stage, you hit the space bar and it moves the engines to the next stage, you fire that stage and it will continue to do that until you get to the decoupler stage for those engines. which is why i was able to build that 24 satellite beast and still have usable engines through the entire flight..

objectives are coming soon.. right now harvester is working on redesigning the drag system so that its more efficient and ACCURATE. there's still a few small bugs they need to work out. but eventually down the road there will be missions, you will have the ability to built space stations in orbit, there are also plans to have some form of multiplayer they just aren't sure how they want to implement it so that its enjoyable for everyone and can't be ruined by some asshat(if they use a minecraft style multiplayer). the big thing that needs to happen is that unity3D releases the multi-threaded engine otherwise none of this stuff will matter because it will bog systems down to much. but harvester said if they delay the multi-threaded support in the next version of unity3D they may just go in and build their own system to support it.

i highly suggest you check out their forum, there is a ton of information there and way to much for me to post back over here talking about the future of the game and whats coming down the line..

Love those rockets. How are you able to release the satellites? Iv tried a few things but they remain attached to the decoupler.

Love those rockets. How are you able to release the satellites? Iv tried a few things but they remain attached to the decoupler.

they will always stay attached to at least 1 decoupler.. not much you can do about that with those designs.. theres a few modders that are working on new ways to launch satellites since the V.9 client allows you to trigger stages that are disconnected from the primary rocket.. so for example if you have a satellite within a pod, you can release the pod then open the pod after to allow the satellite to release from it.

I just discovered this game and am blown away. I loved playing with model rockets as a kid but would get maybe 2-3 launches before the wind would carry it off somewhere never to be seen again. There have been so many additions since anyone last commented on this that I think it's overdue for a bump. Anyone else playing?

I find myself playing KSP more than most of the other AAA titles I have purchased this year. Put my planetary explorations on hold temporarily as I start construction of a nice space station and probably and orbiting fuel depot.

has it been better optimized yet? Even on my PC this thing crawls

Has a huge learning curve, but one fun little sandbox game once you get into it. Discovered this a while back when it was in beta, its one neverending work in progress/labor of love that continously gets improved with added features over time. Kinda lost track of it until I discovered RidgeDog casting it over on Twitch, had a dev over as a guest the other day and they are in the works to add a ton of cool features and new planets this year.

BTW, v .19 was just released over the weekend. Atmospheric effects are finally implemented! Here's the full changelog going back to .18.0:

v0.19.0

Released 16th March, 2013 Fourm Announcement post
New:

• A Native Linux version!
  • Added visual (and sound) effects for re-entry and supersonic flight.
  • Overhauled the Kerbal Face Expression System with new animations, which are also visible on EVA.
  • Added wheel parts and modules for the construction of rovers.
  • Added several new general purpose structural parts.
  • New mesh for the launch pad area, now with 100% less launch tower.
  • New mesh for the Runway, with sloping edges to drive on and off it.

Bug Fixes:

• The sun no longer shines from below on ships and scenery objects at night, or while in orbit over the dark side of a planet.
  • Fixed the airspeed sound not looping properly, and adjusted the pitch range for it.
  • Various minor balance tweaks.
  • More texture variety added to probe cores, to better determine their positioning.

• Fixed a few objects that were on the wrong layer.
  • Fixed an issue when comparing versions, which could result in false 'incompatible' warnings.

• Fixed an issue with velocity changes when resuming 1x time while on a hyperbolic orbit inside a rotating reference frame.

• Changed the debug toolbar key combo to ModifierKey+F12 (RShift+F12 by default)
  • Changed the quick scenario loader key combo to ModifierKey+F10 (was Ctrl+F10 before)
  • Removed an unused shader that caused the game to crash on Linux systems with AMD video drivers.

• The Alt modifier key is now remappable, and defaults to RightShift on Linux.
  • Remapped all ocurrences of the Alt key to RightShift on Linux (as Alt is OS-reserved on most distros).
  • Fixed double-clicks not working properly.

• Added a setting to tweak the mouse wheel axis scaling.
  • Input Axes now support linear scaling.
  • The Debug console can now also be toggled using the Grave and AltGr keys
v0.18.4

Released 14th February, 2013
New:

• New Spaceplane, Ravenspear Mk4
  • Ported the game over to Unity 4. Expect improved performance.
Bugfixes and Tweaks:

• Fixed some buttons not being locked out properly on the Tracking Station and possibly other scenes.
  • The Staging Stack now automatically scrolls back into view if a staging operation sends it off screen.
  • Stage groups and icons now accurately follow the mouse when dragging.
  • Fixed some UI controls and keys being responsive during pause.
  • Fixed some sounds (mainly voices) being affected by 3D effects when they shouldn't.
  • Fixed an issue when going in and out of Map View after crashing the ship.
  • Fixed the EVA map icons not showing.
  • Fixed the planetary terrain not starting up properly sometimes.
  • Fixed the error messages when exiting the game from the flight scene.
  • Added a bad name filter for the Kerbal name generator.
  • Fixed issues with the popup dialogs that allowed them to spawn a massive number of duplicates.
  • Parts on the parts list no longer show the author on their tooltips (that broke immersion).
  • Flight basics tutorial now requires player to set throttle to max before finishing the tutorial (and launching).
  • fixed the non-persistent StateName field on MunFlight Tutorial.
  • Fixed an issue where controls could become locked when switching focus out of a dead uncontrollable vessel.
  • Fixed a collision issue with the large RCS Tank.
  • Fixed a transparency issue with smoke FX and explosions.
  • Boarding a vessel from EVA no longer toggles the SAS on the vessel.
  • The VAB and SPH now show decoupler ejection forces on the part stats.
  • Removed a part that wasn't ready and had sneaked its way into the build.
  • Fixed a few typos on part descriptions and tutorials.
  • Increased Jool's rotating frame threshold altitude to prevent entering its atmosphere with the rotating frame disabled.
  • Fixed an issue with the UI background not scaling correctly on the SPH.
  • Fixed winglet colliders.
  • Fixed EVA light orientations.
  • Updated Copyright dates.
  • Fixed vab transparency issue.
  • Fixed Explosion Shader Transparency issues.
  • Fixed Part Actions being clickable if Time Warp was engaged while the Action UI was already up.
  • Fixed the latest version checking.
  • Fixed some places that were using an old and inaccurate value for the vessel's G-force, preventing entering warp sometimes.
  • Fixed an issue which caused DAE model loading to fail.
v0.18.3 (Demo)

Released 12th February, 2013
New:

• Ported the game over to Unity 4. Expect improved performance.
  • Added an exit splash screen.
Bugfixes and Tweaks:

• Parts on the parts list no longer show the author on their tooltips (that broke immersion).
  • Flight basics tutorial now requires player to set throttle to max before finishing the tutorial (and launching).
  • fixed the non-persistent StateName field on MunFlight Tutorial.
  • Fixed the planetary terrain not starting up properly sometimes.
  • Fixed the error messages when exiting the game from the flight scene.
  • Added a bad name filter for the Kerbal name generator.
  • Disabled multiple demo warnings and timewarp notices.
  • Fixed vab transparency issue.
  • Stopped plugin folders from being created.
  • Fixed several spelling and grammatical errors.
  • Removed Debug logging for interia tensors.
  • Fixed winglet colliders.
  • Fixed EVA light orientations.
  • Updated Copyright dates.
  • Fixed Explosion Shader Transparency issues.
  • Disabled the debug toolbar.
  • Fixed an issue when going in and out of Map View after crashing the ship.
  • Fixed more ocurrences [sic] of the terrain not loading properly when entering flight.
  • Fixed some UI controls and keys being responsive during pause.
  • Rescaled the exit screen to fit 5:4 aspect ratios.
  • Fixed some more ocurrences [sic] of the terrain failing to load issue.
  • The Staging Stack now automatically scrolls back into view if a staging operation sends it off screen.
  • Stage groups and icons now accurately follow the mouse when dragging.
  • Fixed the MunFlight Tutorial not allowing use of the Map.
  • Boarding a vessel from EVA no longer toggles the vessel's SAS state.
  • The VAB and SPH now show decoupler ejection forces on the part stats.
  • Fixed Part Actions being clickable if Time Warp was engaged while the Action UI was already up.
Demo Restrictions and changes:

• Part loading limited to the 25 stock ones.
  • No Plugin loading.
  • SPH and Runway Facilities are unnaccessible.
  • Only one save profile allowed.
  • Cannot launch new flights if 3 or more are already in progress.
  • Kerbin, the Mun and the Sun are the only celestial bodies in the solar system.
  • Replaced the Spaceport button on the main menu with a button to order the full version.
  • Revised tutorials and scenarios to be compatible with the demo set of parts.
  • Removed the Station One and Mun Orbit scenarios as those require parts from the full version.
v0.18.2

Released 20th December, 2012
New:

• Training: Added a Basic Flight Tutorial, and a Basic Vessel Construction Tutorial.
  • Solar System: Added a new icy planet called Eeloo, somewhere out past Jool.
  • Scenarios: Added a scenario called Station One, where a refueling station is already in orbit.
  • UI: Added a button to open the SpacePort site on the Main Menu (opens on the default browser)
  • Music: Added two new tracks for space and another one for construction.
Bugfixes and Tweaks:

• Graphics: 800x600 is no longer a valid resolution option. Minimum possible resolution is now 960x720.
  • Docking: Fixed ejected debris being incorrectly typed as "Unknown".
  • UI: Fixed an issue where the "Resume Saved" dialog wouldn't show if a save folder was missing its persistent.sfs file.
  • UI: The "Resume Saved" and Craft Load dialogs now offer to clean up incompatible files if any are detected.
  • UI: Incompatible/Invalid entries on those dialogs are now greyed out, and the reason why they can't be loaded is displayed.
  • UI: Fixed an issue with popup dialogs cutting out content (text and buttons) when multiple dialogs were spawned at once.
  • UI: The Resources panel is now visible while in the Map View.
  • Decouplers now break the connection at a specific node, instead of breaking the connection to the parent part. This enables choosing which side will remain attached.
  • Physicsless parts now get "promoted" to physical ones if they become the root of a vessel (by decoupling)
  • Persistence: Vessel rotation is now stored relative to the universe, instead of in worldspace. This fixes vessels having seemingly random rotations upon resuming a save.
  • Parts: Fixed an issue with the engine fairings which caused engines to lose mass on save/load cycles.
  • Parts: RCS thrusters no longer try (and fail) to do lever arm compensation.
  • Music: Fixed an issue where some tracks were subject to doppler effects in flight.
  • Solar System: Pol's gravity increased slightly
  • Solar System: Bop and Pol's semi-major axes increased (Bop's SOI almost intersected Tylo's)
  • Gameplay: Fixed an issue where crashing a ship wouldn't properly remove the root part and cause weird "physics" sometimes.
  • Gameplay: Fixed an issue with renaming vessels from symmetrically-placed command pods.
  • Maneuver Nodes: Fixed a small but annoying issue where maneuver gizmos would switch modes when rotating the camera just after creating a maneuver.
  • Training: Fixed Gene Kerman introducing himself as Wernher von Kerman on the Orbit 101 tutorial.
  • Parts: Fixed an issue where the root part of a vessel would live on in a weird state after crashing.
  • Docking: Fixed an issue where docking ports wouldn't resume their fuel crossfeed properly sometimes.
  • Controls: Added input locks to action groups and part context UIs, so they lock when appropriate.
  • UI: Part Resource Context Gauges now correctly go away when the corresponding part gets detached from the current ship.
  • Parts: Fixed an issue that could cause RCS thrusters to fly off on their own because of numerical spikes.
  • Parts: Landing gear now remember to set the brakes when resuming flight.
  • Gameplay: Added a rule to prevent saving the game or switching vessels while the current one is throttled up.
  • Gameplay: Unrestricted vessel switching is now only allowed if the vessel to be focused is loaded and unpacked.
  • Tutorials: Fixed the Construction Tutorial erroring out with an "incompatible" sfs when launching after completing the tutorial.
  • Tutorials: Tutorial Scenarios now delete the instructor objects when the ScenarioModule is destroyed.
  • Tutorials: The Construction Tutorial now allows launching the constructed vessel, and going back to edit it later.
  • Controls: Action groups are now locked when in map view, to prevent accidental activation without being able to see the ship.
  • Controls: Map View won't lock RCS off anymore when the navball is up.
  • UI: Added some sanity checking to text fields (vessel names and saves), so illegal characters don't cause trouble.
v0.18.1

Released 3rd December, 2012
Bugfixes and Tweaks:

• Fixed an issue which could cause an error when undocking if the undocked vessel was missing its original root part.
  • Fixed the vessel snapping when docking, which could cause misaligned docking connections sometimes.
  • Fixed an issue where docking to docked vessels could cause trouble when undocking again in a different order.
  • Fixed manually-defined vessel types getting lost after docking.
  • Fixed a misspelled parameter on the smallRadialEngine cfg
  • Fixed an issue with the solar panels exposure detection maths.
  • Fixed a case where RCS could become activated by ASAS during time warp and eat all propellant
  • Adjusted Solar Panel raycasting to prevent false positives on planetary occlusion
  • Gimbal module now displays vectoring information in the VAB
  • Adjusted initialization of the gimbal module for better mod support
  • Gimbals now have an optional movement speed parameter
  • Changed Airflow Display during timewarp on the intakes
  • Gave Launch Pad Clamps power, so probes don't die waiting for a launch window.
v0.18.0

Released 1st December, 2012
New:

• Docking: Connecting vessels together is now possible! Build space stations, surface bases, or assemble huge spacecraft in orbit.

• Flight Planning: Getting to other planets and moons just got a lot simpler. Place maneuvers along your orbit to create a flight plan, and then just follow the guidance cues. No need to figure out angles or hold a protractor to the screen!

• Improved Map UI: New map icons show close approaches, intersections with other orbits, and a lot more, so you can focus on getting where you want to go, instead of worrying about how to get there.

• New Vessel Types and Vessel Renaming: Building a station? You can now rename and set your vessel as one of several new types, so it'll show on the map with the appropriate icon and name.

• Automatic Fairings: Rockets now look like proper rockets! Several parts now have automatic fairings that pop up whenever something is stacked below them, and then jettison away during flight.

• Much Improved Models and Textures: Many of the old parts have been completely redone, with carefully constructed meshes and hand painted textures, to give KSP a new look.

• A slew of new part types: Solar Panels, Docking ports, Batteries, Trusses, Ion Engines, Lights, Side-Mounted Parachutes, Crew Cabins, new Science Parts, and a heap more!

• Unmanned Probes: New unmanned pods for building probes and unmanned missions, plus a huge amount of new probe parts.

• Action Groups: A new way to control your ships! Instead of having everything done through staging, you can assign parts to groups that are controlled with a keypress. Set up Abort systems, or rig up complex contraptions. Or just let the game handle it automatically.

• New Input Modes: No need to have two hands on the keyboard and a third one on the mouse anymore. New input modes make for much more ergonomic controls, and it's all remappable!

• Two new celestial bodies: New places to explore, with interesting and varied terrain.

• New Resources System: Watching fuel drain has never been so much fun! New resources allow for completely new possibilities. Energy, Fuel, Oxidizer and other resources now flow through your ship. Manage them as you fly, and pump them across parts.

• Electricity: More power to the Kerbals! Many new functional electrical parts added, like Solar Panels, Batteries, and even a Nuclear Reactor!

• Lights: Landing on the nightside just got a lot less deadly, with new landing and floodlight parts.

• Functional Air Intakes: Turbines now properly require air to run, and Intakes can provide it for them, as long as there is an atmosphere around you.

• Music: KSP now has its own soundtrack, featuring many cool tracks, from smooth jazzy tunes to build ships by, to wondrous spacy themes as you explore the solar system.

• Much improved planets: Kerbin looks a lot better now, with hand-built terrain features. Moho and Eve also got major overhauls, and many others have also been improved.

• Performance Tweaks: New terrain optimizations and a system to prevent lag by slowing the simulation make for a significant improvement in performance.

Never even heard of this game until I saw the thread pop up...looks pretty wacky, lol.

Never even heard of this game until I saw the thread pop up...looks pretty wacky, lol.

It's really a lot of fun, and the tutorials really help teach you the basics of rocketry and orbital maneuvers.

Here is a screenshot of my 'semi-successful' Mun landing. I was using the stock KerbalX rocket and lander, and ran out of fuel in descent and crash landed. The capsule somehow managed to survive after a long and bouncy landing.

2C1EF697FA299EA1BEFEB143351526552FD66098

I actually play this game almost about daily. A lot of fun.Updates come pretty regularly.
I just love getting into orbit and interplanetary travel, launching space probes and getting satellites on different planets. I don't think I've ever played a single player game as long as I played KSP.
Check out scott manely on youtube, his missions and randomness is very entertaining. Hes and astrophysicist, so you learn a lot about space and travel when watching.

:) Passing Eve heading to its moon Gilly.
Tl7M9fe.png

Woah. They added more planets in this game? been like over a year since I last played it. When it was still free.

Back