just waiting

flearider

n00b
ok got my asus crosshair v and my 8 gig corsair vengence(1866mhz 9-10-9-27) sitting next to my old box .([email protected])

now i'm just waiting for the fx8120 95w version ..just think of the overclock you should be able to get out of that ..
gonna pop it into my old wc setup tripple and double rad ..

but seeing as it's been a long time since i overclocked (never changed settings on this ) i've popped in here and will be asking a few questions when i get the chip :)

welcome... I will be sure to help once I get my hands on One as well

ya same here - bought a h80 specifically for my upgrade ... my first venture to wcing. I like the idea of something not looking like a big trashcan sitting on my cpu.

I've had my parts for a month now. I don't even care how it performs. Anything will be better for my wife than her Q6600.

now i'm just waiting for the fx8120 95w version ..just think of the overclock you should be able to get out of that ..

i dont think the 95watt version will be released on the 12. you might be waiting a long time for that chip.

ive had my system ready since august, using a 950BE atm as a placeholder

Built an AM3+ system using a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with a 955 at the moment since July, been waiting for Bulldozer since then, I want a FX-8150 so badly, it better be worth the wait.

so whats the best entry level atx am3+ board? I don't want to spend an arm & a leg?

In the same boat, just waiting. But it looks like the wait should be over soon.

Go with the 9xx chipset. No point in sticking with the 8xx series.

How many of those entry level boards come BD ready out of the box? If somebody like me, whose had Intel rigs since Thunderbird era, and don't have any current AMD CPU's, I don't wanna worry about flashing BIOS right out of the box to get the BD running...

Built an AM3+ system using a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with a 955 at the moment since July, been waiting for Bulldozer since then, I want a FX-8150 so badly, it better be worth the wait.

^this. I've been waiting too, hoping not to be disappointed.

I've had my MSI 990FXA-GD80 waiting since it launched in June.

(With an X6 1090T @4ghz in it to hold me over)

Has there been a benchmarked correlation between low TDP chips and higher overclocking? Personally, I think overal system stability is the weakest link in the chain when it comes to OC'ing nowadays. I don't really see heat as an issue anymore, especially with today's coolers.

Has there been a benchmarked correlation between low TDP chips and higher overclocking? Personally, I think overal system stability is the weakest link in the chain when it comes to OC'ing nowadays. I don't really see heat as an issue anymore, especially with today's coolers.

I disagree. We're not just talking about keeping CPU temp below a certain max spec.

Chips will also overclock higher the cooler they are.

Besides, overall system stability usually doesn't even factor in unless you have a multiplier locked system and are overclocking the base clock.

Chips will also overclock higher the cooler they are.

For Intel CPUs I am not sure this is the case. There are a lot of examples where a CPU with good temps can not go over 4.5GHz while one at 90C works fine at 4.8GHz. I can not comment on current AMD overclocking though.

For Intel CPUs I am not sure this is the case. There are a lot of examples where a CPU with good temps can not go over 4.5GHz while one at 90C works fine at 4.8GHz. I can not comment on current AMD overclocking though.

I find this baffling. It breaks everything I know to be true about overclocking.

That is - as long as we are talking about the same chip.

If these are different chips, then I believe it. Every chip is different, even with the same part number and build week, and will hit different top speeds, due to the

Provided you aren't super chilling and running into some sort of cold bug, running the same chip cooler ought to result in higher clocks, as long as you are overclocking by multiplier.

If you are overclocking by bus then your results may vary, as - depending on the chip - the bus is can become the limiting factor before the chip does.

But all things equal (same chip, same motherboard power circuitry, same power supply) a chip which is cooler should reach higher speeds than a chip which is warmer, unless the chips upper limit is already reached at the higher temp, in which case it should make no difference.

And this isn't even factoring in that if your chip is cooler, you can further increase voltage to make it more stable and press it even further.

I've had my parts for a month now. I don't even care how it performs. Anything will be better for my wife than her Q6600.

What does your wife do that needs more than a q6600 lol. Unless she games of course. I just upgraded my mom from a pentium 4 this year cause the power supply was going to this really ridiculous deal I found at walmart for this emachines athlon II x2 2.8 ghz machine i picked up for $210. Came with mouse and keyboad. I couldn't do any better than that for that kinda money and it is whisper quiet and has a warranty. Its more than fast enough for her, web browsing is blazing fast. The last machine she had was actually the first machine I ever built from scratch from about 2002-2003 although it had some upgrades done over time.

emachines-desktop-amd-athlon-and-153-ii-x2-processor-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-angleimage-320w.jpg

If these are different chips, then I believe it. Every chip is different, even with the same part number and build week, and will hit different top speeds, due to the

Different chips. My point was temperature is not always a limiting factor as long as you keep the processor under its thermal limit. For the example of a 4.8GHz chip at 90C will it go faster if it was run at 40C maybe / maybe not. Then at -40C probably.

Zarathustra[H];1037865044 said:
And this isn't even factoring in that if your chip is cooler, you can further increase voltage to make it more stable and press it even further.

Sometimes manuf variations result in chips that "simply don't", voltage be damned. CPUs aren't handy dandy linear devices.

Sometimes manuf variations result in chips that "simply don't", voltage be damned. CPUs aren't handy dandy linear devices.

As I said int hat post:

Zarathustra[H];1037865044 said:
...unless the chips upper limit is already reached at the higher temp, in which case it should make no difference.

:p

Since MB were mentioned are there any good Bulldozer SLI boards? For the record it is now 12 Oct where I am NO BENCHMARKS YET :)

as I understand it all 990FX boards support SLI.

The Asus Crosshair V seems to be popular, but personally I prefer the expansion slot layout of the MSI 990FXA-GD80

Back