Jeremy Clarkson And The Top Gear Gang Are Coming To Amazon Video

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know this announcement is going to make a lot of people happy. The cool part is that the gang is all here!

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are reuniting to create an all-new car show, exclusively for Amazon Prime. The show will be produced by the trio’s long time executive producer Andy Wilman. On working with Amazon, Jeremy Clarkson said “I feel like I've climbed out of a bi-plane and into a spaceship.” The first show will go into production shortly and arrive exclusively on Amazon Prime in 2016.

Never even crossed my mind that it would be Amazon Prime over Netflix. Either way, if they have complete freedom to do the show they want, it's going to be awesome.

Bi-planes are a hell of a lot more useful for getting around day to day though. A spaceship is basically a lambo that you don't ever want to get dirty.

Their style has been a snooze fest for many seasons. Hopefully they can freshen things up. If it's more or less a copy of Top Gear I'll pass.

Well, that sucks. I guess I won't be seeing it since I live in Canada and they don't offer Prime Video here. I'm curious why they chose Amazon Prime Video with its rather limited reach.

Their style has been a snooze fest for many seasons. Hopefully they can freshen things up. If it's more or less a copy of Top Gear I'll pass.

Yeah the totally scripted buffoonery was getting very tired about 6 years ago.

The only good thing about it was a lot of the location footage. Some stunning location work.

Well, that sucks. I guess I won't be seeing it since I live in Canada and they don't offer Prime Video here. I'm curious why they chose Amazon Prime Video with its rather limited reach.

Well a bit limited in terms of a network or video distributor that would give them totally free editorial without pressure from corporate sponsors like BMW/Audi/Skoda/Ford etc. etc.

It really was down to Prime or Netflix and I guess Amazon made a better offer.

Well a bit limited in terms of a network or video distributor that would give them totally free editorial without pressure from corporate sponsors like BMW/Audi/Skoda/Ford etc. etc.

It really was down to Prime or Netflix and I guess Amazon made a better offer.

That's a real shame for everyone who doesn't live in the USA or UK. I guess I'm going to have to pirate it. I would be willing to subscribe to Amazon Prime for this... But i guess they don't want my money (I also live in Canada).

Well to be honest Top Gear was a bit of a mess digital streaming wise. Half of it on Prime and half of it on Netflix.

That's a real shame for everyone who doesn't live in the USA or UK. I guess I'm going to have to pirate it. I would be willing to subscribe to Amazon Prime for this... But i guess they don't want my money (I also live in Canada).

Well this could be a push to go to more countries with a show that has truly global appeal.

Could work out okay in the end.

So just about everyone will be pirating Top Gear from now on, works for me.

Amazon Prime is just a discount shipping service just about everywhere but the US and UK.

The best auto (well mostly auto) show will now be free from over the air restrictions. Get ready for some fun shit.

Why can't they just negotiate over the air distribution agreements for the new episodes in the countries where Amazon does not currently offer their Prime Instant Video service? Didn't Netflix do something similar for places where they don't stream or was that just speculation?

I'd assume they considered their normal broadcast audience. Perhaps a Prime expansion is or has been in the works.

Nothing stopping them from syndication in other countries or even the US.

Once this current fascination with Pius Indignation passes, a TNT, USA or Someone will probably pick it up, too. BBC America. That'd be a hoot.

Nothing stopping them from syndication in other countries or even the US.

Once this current fascination with Pius Indignation passes, a TNT, USA or Someone will probably pick it up, too. BBC America. That'd be a hoot.

Yeah, because Amazon does that... experience suggests they don't. BBC America can't run it, it's Amazon-exclusive.

Yeah, because Amazon does that... experience suggests they don't. BBC America can't run it, it's Amazon-exclusive.

There's different levels of exclusive. First run exclusive, First run up to 1 calendar year, ...

From what I understand this will be produced by Amazon, they stand to see a share of the money from syndication. This would probably their first property worth syndicating.

Why can't they just negotiate over the air distribution agreements for the new episodes in the countries where Amazon does not currently offer their Prime Instant Video service? Didn't Netflix do something similar for places where they don't stream or was that just speculation?

Then you're back into time slots and other antiquated practices.

BitTorrent does not have time slots.

What a triumph for free speech this is.

Clarkson speaks his mind, and the whole world wants him anyway.

BBC's going to put new people in there, two men, one woman and turn it into a tolerance exhibit. It will be so sad to see the existing top gear whither away but the BPC wanted it that way and that is that.

I feel bad for the Stig.

Would rather this be on Netflix than Amazon, but as a subscriber to both I don't mind.

The way I figure it: BBC UK is getting a new road show and might tap an F1 driver to join the DJ they hired and then we'll have the good ol' boys doing the Amazon one, might mean two potentially awesome car shows.

So Clarkson turned down the BBC offer? Good.

The trio accepted the rival ITV's offer months back to compete directly with BBC in the same timeslot - Clarkson even tweeted a little jab at BBC. It'll be the same show, different name. I believe all of this announcement is for the US rights to that show.

Much like like Hulu (or Netflix) rebrand UK shows as their own original content because they own the US rights to it. This is Amazon Prime rebranding the ITV show as original content.

The way I figure it: BBC UK is getting a new road show and might tap an F1 driver to join the DJ they hired and then we'll have the good ol' boys doing the Amazon one, might mean two potentially awesome car shows.

If there's one thing they ought to have learnt from the various overseas Top Gear spin-offs, it's not to have a racing driver as a presenter. There's a reason the Stig doesn't speak. But at least they're not suggesting Lewis Hamilton, which could have been a thing if his recent TFI Friday adventure with Evans hadn't been such a clusterfuck.

I've only little confidence that the new BBC top gear will be any good, but, I mean I'm all about car shows. Nothing beats the comedy of the Clarkson - May - Hammond trio and their genuine love of motoring, though.

Back