It's been ages - RX 6800 XT v RX 6950 XT v Geforce 4070 opinion

Brian48

Limp Gawd
As per title, it's been a LONG time since I've posted to this forum. To be truthful, even with an upgrade, I'm not sure how much gaming I'd be doing. I'm in a situation where I'm thinking of upgrading my PC right now. Currently moving away from a Geforce 2070 Super. Only really like the Batman games and these are relatively old now. Thinking about a RX 6800 XT as an overall price/performance option, since I really don't game much anymore and haven't found much interest in any of the newer titles. Rez would be 1440p for my monitor. The RX 6950 XT and Geforce 4070 are both about a hundred dollars more and competitively priced against each other. Not sure I want to splurge a little bit more and just go with one of the latter. Am familiar with all the specs, power draw is not a concern as I'm upgrading the entire system including PSU.

I guess what I'm looking for is, what would be your pick given my current needs? Still leaning towards the 6800 XT, but that's only because I'm a little cheap at the moment despite I can absorb the added cost.

FYI, I gave away the Geforce 2070 Super to my son this year because he's more into gaming than me these days (he runs at 1080p). Currently running a Geforce 1070 right now, but it's adequate for my needs since whenever I do run a game, they're all relatively old (like me :) ).

I have a 2080 Super and frankly with what I play I don't have any need to buy anything right now since I can play everything I like at 1440p. If you are in that same boat, pickup a used 20 series or 30 series - or if it does the job just do the 1070. 50 series is already getting news bites about coming down the pike so maybe wait if you can.

Reactions: pavel
like this
If you have the money, I'd opt for the more efficient 4070. But up to you.

I think AMD has the price advantage, but the 4070 is Nvidia (the card we are supposed to buy) and it's power efficient (YMMV, but generally speaking it should be).

If you don't game much, maybe you wait?? Or even move down a bit but "newer" (?)

I recently "upgraded" to an RX 5700 XT ($150 shipped) Might not be the most "efficient" card, but plenty of juice for most things. And APUs are getting really interesting. You might not need more than that (save money, with option to get a discrete card when ready or have need).

I have a 2080 Super and frankly with what I play I don't have any need to buy anything right now since I can play everything I like at 1440p. If you are in that same boat, pickup a used 20 series or 30 series - or if it does the job just do the 1070. 50 series is already getting news bites about coming down the pike so maybe wait if you can.
I agree with this. I dunno where he's located but some used markets - have some decent 'deals' - if you can find a seller who seems trustworthy - the problem with used cards - are there are a lot of mining cards out there. I went the used route and knock on wood, my 3080 has been fine. I would look for a used Asus Tuf 3080 - or MSI 3080 - these cards often didn't have issues - so, the potential for a good card is higher - imho. If he has doubts about buying used - then a 6800 XT is probably a good choice.
The other benefit to going with Nvidia - is the son has the 2070S now - so, it might be convenient for both to run Nvidia cards - in case there's ever driver/hardware troubleshooting required - that's just an intangible, though - to perhaps, consider? :) Being familiar with Nvidia driver installs, looking at the Nvidia CC/settings..... dunno if that is an advantage but maybe?

Yeah. RT is nice, but it's not a must for me. I guess I'll stick with the 6800xt and save the cash. Trying to keep the budget around $1800 or so. I'll miss PhysX with the Batman games, but those are the only games where I've found PhysX to matter. The nVidia option seems to be better with video editing though, which is something I've been dabbling in for a while. Then again, all these reviews that mention this are a bit old and this might have improved with better drivers and software updates. Thx for the feedback, folks.

Well, it's done. RX 6800 XT it is. Just didn't see a compelling reason to spend more than $500 on a GPU, which is exactly what it came out to be with the $40 coupon. My first build in nearly 5 years. Kept is at just over $1850+ which was my target budget.

Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX
CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM1000x
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
Noctua NH-D15S heatsink
MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000
ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming
SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB
Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 4TB 5400 RPM 256MB Cache

Have a 6800xt since Christmas. Fantastic card if your not bothered about RT. Needs a bit of taming as mine a Sapphire Pulse ran at 2450 out of the box and circa 90c . A tad hot for my liking so I dialled it back a bit and honestly I can tell the difference of a few less fps. Nice build by the way.

6800xt is a solid card and probably the best deal for the money right now. I am sure you will be happy with it.

Currently running a Geforce 1070 right now, but it's adequate for my needs since whenever I do run a game, they're all relatively old (like me :) ).

Then the answer is you don’t upgrade. You upgrade when your current set up is no longer doing what you need it to do. Sounds like your current one is fine.

Yeah. RT is nice, but it's not a must for me. I guess I'll stick with the 6800xt and save the cash. Trying to keep the budget around $1800 or so. I'll miss PhysX with the Batman games, but those are the only games where I've found PhysX to matter. The nVidia option seems to be better with video editing though, which is something I've been dabbling in for a while. Then again, all these reviews that mention this are a bit old and this might have improved with better drivers and software updates. Thx for the feedback, folks.

yeah if you have the 6800XT and aren't gaming at 4k i'd say stick with it until at least july/august and see what happens with the 7800XT, there's potential it could ruffle some feathers or be a complete dud but unless RT is your priority or you want 4080/4090 performance i just can't see a reason to move away from the 6800XT right now unless prices get better. only reason i even bothered to go from the vega 56 to RX6800(non XT) was because i got it for 375 after tax back in november and even that was the most i've ever spent on a gpu..

4070 is misbranded and overpriced like most the rest of the 40-series stack. Personally...I think I'd grab 6950 XT in that situation, though if the 6800 XT is cheap, not a bad way to go either. To me the 4070 doesn't even perform like a typically branded 70-class card, so the fact they also raised the price on it just makes it a terrible buy in my opinion. 70 cards are supposed to match the previous gen flagship and the 4070 can barely meet 3080 levels of performance. The 6950 XT should therefore be the faster card.

4070 is misbranded and overpriced like most the rest of the 40-series stack. Personally...I think I'd grab 6950 XT in that situation, though if the 6800 XT is cheap, not a bad way to go either. To me the 4070 doesn't even perform like a typically branded 70-class card, so the fact they also raised the price on it just makes it a terrible buy in my opinion. 70 cards are supposed to match the previous gen flagship and the 4070 can barely meet 3080 levels of performance. The 6950 XT should therefore be the faster card.
It appears he already bought a card. I agree, though - if I am going with previous AMD gen - I'd get a 6950 XT - whether used or a really good retail/new sale. $100 more, I'd still do it. Probably will have it for a few years.

Just to report back. Build was about as drama free as you can hope for. There were some annoying issues with the MB BIOS, but once I had everything setup, things were fine. Obviously, performance is amazing. The free Jedi Survivor and Resident Evil 4 games were meh, but they were free so no biggie. Hoping to get back into gaming when time allows, but I may also look into getting a Harley instead as my next past time LOL.

Back