Issues with AMD drivers after Catalyst 10.5 on any card

Macheul

n00b
Hello,
I'm working with some captioning software we purchased from a now extinct company and we've been having an issue with it for a while now. The error message we get says "colour keying isn't supported" and it's impossible for us to overlay text on an image (we get text on green instead of video)

I've pinpointed the problem to the Catalyst 10.6 update (driver 8.741) on an HD5450 card. Any drivers before this version work great on any compatible card and all versions past this one prevent the software from working properly. Any AMD cards that don't roll back to this version just won't work. This is on any setup, with Win 7, XP, 32 and 64 bit.
Does anyone have any idea what the hell could've happened and what could fix it? Any modded drivers could perhaps help?

The release notes for Catalyst 10.6 only mention changes on the following points:
-GPU accelaration of H.264 video content using Flash 10.1
-Video De-blocking support
-Mosquito noise reduction
-Official support for OpenGL 4 and 3.3

I don't see how it could be related...
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

did you try to contact tech support of the card example xfx, sapphire or perhaps amd themselves?

AMD drivers after 11.11 broke DVI data channel communication between my monitors and PC. My calibration software hardware calibrates the monitors. After 11.11 the software cant talk to the monitors, so that doesn't surprise me at all.

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm working with some captioning software we purchased from a now extinct company ...
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

If I had to guess your captioning software has a hard coded function call to the drivers and the function was modified in 10.6. This is an example of why not using APIs is bad.

I think you have a few options:
1. Get new software
2. Stockpile cards that work with 10.5 (assuming they are fast enough for your needs)
3. See if you have better luck with recent nvidia cards/drivers
4. Debug the software to see what call is failing. This will not be easy and once you do find it it is still unlikely (Difficult+++) that you will be able to hack new drivers or the software to work. Not really my area of expertise though

My sympathies

10.5 or 11.5?

10.5 seems quite old...

I noticed after 11.5b, Arcsoft Total media Theatre stopped playing back video smoothly. Anything 11.6 and after, it doesnt work properly even with the newest drivers out now. This is with 3 generations of cards too. 5450, 6870, 6970, 7970. I had to use different software (Cyberlink) and playback is fine now.

Not sure if this is related or not but if I use any drivers past 11.11 when my 6950 is hooked up to my TV via HDMI and I play back video at 24fps in Media Player Classic I get frame lagging, It doesn't do it in VLC so I guess MPC uses something on from the video card that changed and produces the frame lagging.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for the help! Contacted AMD, who forwarded my issue to the engineering team. Also contacting Gigabyte, Sapphire and XFX for help. Hopefully, this'll go somewhere. And in the mean time, stockpiling, as ecmaster76 suggested.
And yes, it is 10.5 :eek:
It's been a longstanding nightmare. Perhaps it's time to contact NVIDIA to see if there's any chance of their cards ever becoming compatible or get new software.
Thanks again!

Back