Is YouTube running like crap for you to?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
For the past week YouTube has been all over the place. Not loading videos or when it does it'll load like 2% then stop, it'll drop resolution like my connection can't handle it (100MB cable - so...no...), and just over all poor performance.

I've tried different browsers, reset my modem and router, tried different PC's...nothing is helping...so I guess it's all on YouTube.

Anyone know why though? YouTube used to load 1080p videos nearly instantly...now I'm lucky if I can watch a video in 480p without having to reload the page or sit through numerous bufferings.

Anyways...just wanted to see if the problem is solely me or if others are experiencing the same!

Thanks!

I don't use YouTube that much, but I have also experienced this over the past few days.

I'm on a Comcast 20/4 connection and it used to load 720p vids no problem, but the past few days it struggles to load any video and often auto drops down quality.

Unless you're also on Comcast, it sounds like a youtube problem.

It's been acting up for me. I'm watching pc component reviews and it will take forever to play a 5 min. video.
I'm have Comcast 50/20 and never had this issue.

I have noticed that with youtube as well. Both on my work connection as well as at home. It affects multiple browsers also including FF, IE, and Chrome.

OK...bad they are having issues...but nice to know it isn't just me or a hardware issue.

Charter user here! :D

I've got 25mb down and youtube loads just as bad or worse then when I had 4mb DSL, I just download the videos instead of waiting for it to buffer since it is a lot quicker.

When i watch youtube videos, i have to wait for hours before i can watch it. i thought the problem is my internet speed or connection. But when i read this thread, glad to know it's the youtube's fault.

It used to be until I change the local storage from default 10k to 10mb.

I was used youtube several times for uploading and downloading my favorite music. But I could not find it a good website so I just left it.

I've been having this issue on an off for months with AT&T. Sometimes refreshing the browser page helps.

It's been awful for months at work, we can't stream a 2 minute video even in 240p on a 100MB/100MB connection..

only downside youtube has for me is the stinkin advertisements. THEY need to cut that crap out!

Youtube has run terribly for the last long while. Whether at my apartment with AT&T 20/1.5 or at my parents' home with TWC 30/5 the results are the same with sluggish load times at any quality and sometimes the video just not loading entirely and needing either a refresh or outright reloading of the tab from scratch.

For crap's sake, good to see I am not the only one. I have a 50mb/5mb Time Warner cable connection and I can barely even load Youtube videos. It feel like I am on a 28K modem while using Youtube for the last week or two, this is ridiculous.

I wish there was a competitor to Youtube as their performance has gone to shit.

Just pulling this out of my tinfoil covered ass, but Google is known for throttling their services, so how about they throttle anyone who doesnt click their ads, "Ohh, IP this and that havent clicked any ads, but have watched a gazillion MB of vids, let's throttle the sucker!!!".

:D

Yes but not on all videos. It will load a 1080p vid fine then maybe the next one is too slow. Or it will load a couple mins then stop and not load anymore unless I fast forward or back it up a second.

For the past week or so I've had this issue where a lot of videos will instantly load all the previews that you get when mousing over the loading bar, but it'll take over 30 seconds before the video will actually start. Then the past few days this annoying issue where it'll load part of a video then stop. Only thing that will make it continue loading is changing the resolution.

I think they've made so many changes over the last month it's starting to make the site break down.

It always runs like crap for me, especially if I want to run HD over my 50Mbps connection. I live in an old people neighborhood so I always have 50Mbps and it still runs like shit.

So I've opted to strip videos from YT and watch them offline more often. :(

On a related note, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu all run fine.

This is still going on, some videos load normally but most load like complete shit.

I could draw the videos into a flip book faster than some of them download.

Is it just me or do videos on YT stop loading when I hit the pause button? Friggin' annoying when I want to watch a long-ass video on a slower connection. :mad:

Is it just me or do videos on YT stop loading when I hit the pause button? Friggin' annoying when I want to watch a long-ass video on a slower connection. :mad:

I understand why they do it, but they should make it more intelligent. It's to save bandwidth, so people don't sit and load a video and never watch it. I can only imagine how much bandwidth could be wasted by fully loading everything all the time and then having it never watched.

I generally use KeepVid to strip it down to my desktop if it does that crap. That way I can pull the highest res out of it, and watch it start to finish without stopping. :)

Not as convenient though...

I found a possible fix for youtube and twitch.tv streaming problems on Reddit. Here is the link to Reddit and here is the link to the guy's website. Seems to be working great for me so far, but tonight during prime time will be the big test. Time Warner Cable customer here. If you try it post your results. :)

I tried blocking those IPs on my router with Time Warner. But then I couldn't even load YouTube videos anymore.

I took off the block and videos loaded just fine again. 1080p streams fine without any delay or buffering on the 30mbit plan. Never had any problem with 1080p+ on twitch.tv either.

I have Time Warner Cable and I can only stream 360 quality some of the time on Youtube and Twitch.tv. Lots of time 360 quality is too much for my connection. With these blocked, I opened (4) 1080p Twitch streams at once and didn't have a problem. Youtube 1080p videos fill 1/2 the bar in a few seconds whereas before it took me up to an hour to watch a single video sometimes. I'm on the 30mb down 5mb up plan in North Carolina. I used the command prompt method to do this.

At 9pm I'm going to see how it is again.

Edit tried again at 8:33pm and could watch (4) 1080p streams and download Resident Evil 5 on Steam @2.1mb/s at the same time. Going to try some streaming to see if it affects my upload any next. I could only stream at 360 quality @less than 1mb upload speeds before. Hope it maybe helps there too! :)

Last edited:
Well that was short lived. As soon as it hit 10pm I can no longer stream at anything faster than 360 quality on youtube or Twitch.tv. Like TWC just flipped a switch on the servers.

Yea that's what I did but still crappy at times in the evening. I wish there was a way to stream to Twitch also.

I have TWC, and I would say 40% of the time 1080P streaming is flaky, 720P and below work fine, and then 1080P just won't buffer at all. Since, during these times, my bandwidth is fine, I assume it's a Youtube thing, and has been for some time. The other 60% of the time, it works fine. Fairly annoying when I'm pulling trailers from Youtube through XBMC.

I was having this issue yesterday and this morning. Today I cleared my cache in Chrome, and I mean everything. Now everything seems to be loading fine.

Refresh the cache of the whole page using CTRL+F5.

This will force the youtube player to choose a new server. Most of times this little trick work for me =)

I take it back. It worked for a while and now it's having problems again. Tried Ctrl+5 and it works, but it's hit or miss.

Last edited:
I think the fix I posted was short lived. The other day I kept getting "sorry this video is not available" and had to refresh to get it to load. At one point more than half of them were doing that even with refresh. Though I think it may have to do with html5. I was reading something about html5 videos not working in Linux because of some DRM or something retarded like that.

Back