Is this fine older eletrical plugs in new house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hu76

Limp Gawd
Hello. I will be buying new apartment to live. But electrical plugs are older. Not the newest.
And my question. It will be fine to plug pc in this new apartment with older electrical plugs i think it is aluminium,right?

PC WILL BE: Rtx 4090,14900K,1600W PSU

But of course in future i will call electrician and change that electrical plugs outlets to newest. I will pay.

Last edited:
If the wiring is alu, I'm not sure how much new plugs would help. That said, aluminum hasn't been used in a long time, even the house my grandpa built has copper iirc. Are you sure it has alu plugs?

Keep in mind you may have a 1600 W PSU, but the real power drawn is much less and depends on your actual hardware and the workload.

Reactions: hu76
like this
b

but 1600w will be ok?
If you try to pull 1600W through it? (unless you're doing XOC with that system, you won't be)

You need to contact an electrician. We haven't inspected your homes electrical infrastructure. You've got concerns over the age of just the plugs but there is no telling about the rest of the wiring.

Aren't the older plugs 10A and not 15A, so the wiring might be only for 10A max non-continuous load?
Do you have screw in fuses in the fuse panel?

Damn i am not sure. Tommorow i will be in that apartment and i will ask again about eletrcical in this house. I will post tommorow.
And sorry for my bad language bad english , sorry. But thx for helping me and answers : P

Last edited:
Tommorow i will be in that apartment and i will ask again about eletrcical in this house.
that is your best bet, or go look at the panel to see what its got. if its 15a youre good as long as you dont actually ever draw the full 1600w.

Assuming your wiring and outlet can handle 10 A. Ten amps multiplied by 120 volts is 1200 watts. If your computer really uses up 1200 watts then you need an A/C unit in your room to neutralize this kind of heat. Because in the end all this energy will be converted into heat. Now, is your computer really acting as a 1.2 kW heater? I doubt it, I doubt it even uses up half of it, 600 W, which would draw 5 amps from outlet.

Remember, power supply wattage ratings are backwards than like appliances. It specs what it can output, not what it will be pulling. so lets be nice and say 80% efficient. 1600w means it is pulling 2000w to produce that.

like this
Please, all metric system units which are named after a person are uppercase. Unless you have a chip on your shoulder for James Watt please use W. And metric system requires a space between value and unit. Like this: "1 W". Or this: "1 kW", note, the prefix kilo which stands for 1000x is lowercase, otherwise it would be Kelvin degree.

A - named after André-Marie Ampère
V - Alessandro Volta
W - James Watt

I was told USA switched to the metric system after WW2 ... where is the education of american people? Indeed, education is something people do not miss if they do not have it ...

Signed: Smart Alec (LOL)

I was told USA switched to the metric system after WW2 ... where is the education of american people? Indeed, education is something people do not miss if they do not have it ...

We switched when we joined the Triple Entente in 1917. Technically it was the Quadruple Entente then.

Please, all metric system units which are named after a person are uppercase. Unless you have a chip on your shoulder for James Watt please use W. And metric system requires a space between value and unit. Like this: "1 W". Or this: "1 kW", note, the prefix kilo which stands for 1000x is lowercase, otherwise it would be Kelvin degree.

A - named after André-Marie Ampère
V - Alessandro Volta
W - James Watt

Signed: Smart Alec (LOL)
JAMES wATT is a schmuck.

And I am a true American. It isn't 1 kilowatt, it is 0.621 mile-watts, or 3280.84 foot watts if that is easier to work with.

Hi guys. So i choosed other apartment on 6 floor with higher prize, in the same block ( house ) with newest electricity ( wiring ,plugs , etc ). So its ok fine now. Thanks all for replies and help. And sorry for my bad language again :) Thx.

Last edited:
Guys i have found nice apartment and i have been there. 1 room + toilet, new electrics,new plugs,sockets. But gas heating is there. Someone who helping me with buying, a broker, dont recommend me buying an apartment with gas heating. What is your opinion? Thx.
Prize is fine and electrics at least is new.

Someone who helping me with buying, a broker, dont recommend me buying an apartment with gas heating. What is your opinion? Thx.

Why? It's usually cheaper. It come with a gas stove, too?

Why? It's usually cheaper. It come with a gas stove, too?
She. She told me that every year i must change something or control this . Dont know for sure. Tommorow i will ask her again.

But i can live with this?I mean nothing will happen etc etc? its a gas

She. She told me that every year i must change something or control this . Dont know for sure. Tommorow i will ask her again.

But i can live with this?I mean nothing will happen etc etc? its a gas
Usually no matter what it is you have to change something and control this. Central heating is usually a semi complex machine

So buy with gas heating? Nothing wrong at all? At least electrics new.

Ok thx tommorow i will request buy that apartment if nobody bought before me.

Hi guys. So i choosed other apartment on 6 floor with higher prize, in the same block ( house ) with newest electricity ( wiring ,plugs , etc ). So its ok fine now. Thanks all for replies and help. And sorry for my bad language again :) Thx.
Guys i have found nice apartment and i have been there. 1 room + toilet, new electrics,new plugs,sockets. But gas heating is there. Someone who helping me with buying, a broker, dont recommend me buying an apartment with gas heating. What is your opinion? Thx.
Prize is fine and electrics at least is new.
i thought you found one last week?
gas heating is fine, ive never had anything but and i dont know what they are talking about changing ever year other than the filters.

like this
i thought you found one last week?
gas heating is fine, ive never had anything but and i dont know what they are talking about changing ever year other than the filters.
I found one yeah but waiting time to get live there is 2 months,because someone living there still.

This is screen with that room with that next apartment( with gas heating ). Like you see there is also kitchen. Where should i place pc to be safe? Look:

nm.jpg

Sorry i have bad language

I found one yeah but waiting time to get live there is 2 months,because someone living there still.

This is screen with that room with that actual ( with gas heating ). Like you see there is also kitchen. Where should i place pc to be safe? Look:

View attachment 643747
if its not ground floor, under the windows somewhere. if it is ground floor, idk...

Hi again. So today i visited other apartment with semi good prize and i like it. I mean room is bigger and its on second floor. But this is screen from fuse box.
It will be fine with plugging pc with that one ?

Screen from internet i dont take a picture from this apartment. Its looking something like this :
Getty-Images-1345734173.jpg

room:
nm.jpg

Someone said this to me.

"I would get advice from a local electrician that you trust. Nobody here can tell you if the wiring / fuses / whatever in that apartment are safe for use with any given load.

This is particularly important seeing as you are buying the apartment. Never mind "can I use my gaming PC" - is it safe / do I need to budget for some electrical work would be higher in my thinking (impressed with your priorities though! :LOL:)

You should be having an inspection done anyway before buying, which ought to include the electrical system, but presumably if the fuses and wiring are rated for the usual 15A/120V in the US (or whatever it is wherever you are) then it will support whatever normal stuff you plug in, just like anything with newer wiring. I'd definitely have a good UPS on important stuff, and surge suppressors on less important things.

So that's towards the ragged edge of what a 15 amp circuit can carry if you hit the PSU maximums. Thankfully the 4090 isn't as peaky as the Ampere generation cards, but the CPU is a big and constant power draw on that system. You probably need an electrician to ensure that not only are the fuses safe, but that you know how many circuits you have, how big they are and where they go. 1800w is probably a realistic maximum for not overloading a 15 amp circuit, so PC + monitor + speakers etc. is likely fine if you have a 15 amp circuit just for the computer area, but if you try putting another high wattage device on the same circuit-- like a microwave, heater, air conditioning, air fryer, etc. you'll risk blowing the circuit and the fuse and that's Not Good. Old places might even have 10 amp circuits and that's also something you'd need to be very careful about.

If you can see problems like that in an old building, that may be the tip of the iceberg as in the early days of electrical hookups, they did a bad job of anticipating just how much the need for power in the future would be and you can run into strange situations where circuits are shared across places you might not expect. Hopefully it's at least copper wire and the ground actually goes to ground.
.."

So plug pc on this apartment or look for other apartment?

Last edited:
are you asking us, then another forum, and then pitting the answers against each other?

Someone said this to me.

"I would get advice from a local electrician that you trust. Nobody here can tell you if the wiring / fuses / whatever in that apartment are safe for use with any given load.

This is particularly important seeing as you are buying the apartment. Never mind "can I use my gaming PC" - is it safe / do I need to budget for some electrical work would be higher in my thinking (impressed with your priorities though! :LOL:)

You should be having an inspection done anyway before buying, which ought to include the electrical system, but presumably if the fuses and wiring are rated for the usual 15A/120V in the US (or whatever it is wherever you are) then it will support whatever normal stuff you plug in, just like anything with newer wiring. I'd definitely have a good UPS on important stuff, and surge suppressors on less important things.

So that's towards the ragged edge of what a 15 amp circuit can carry if you hit the PSU maximums. Thankfully the 4090 isn't as peaky as the Ampere generation cards, but the CPU is a big and constant power draw on that system. You probably need an electrician to ensure that not only are the fuses safe, but that you know how many circuits you have, how big they are and where they go. 1800w is probably a realistic maximum for not overloading a 15 amp circuit, so PC + monitor + speakers etc. is likely fine if you have a 15 amp circuit just for the computer area, but if you try putting another high wattage device on the same circuit-- like a microwave, heater, air conditioning, air fryer, etc. you'll risk blowing the circuit and the fuse and that's Not Good. Old places might even have 10 amp circuits and that's also something you'd need to be very careful about.

If you can see problems like that in an old building, that may be the tip of the iceberg as in the early days of electrical hookups, they did a bad job of anticipating just how much the need for power in the future would be and you can run into strange situations where circuits are shared across places you might not expect. Hopefully it's at least copper wire and the ground actually goes to ground.
.."

So plug pc on this apartment or look for other apartment?
No one on a forum can or should make your financial choices for you. If you are buying an apartment i would get an electrician/inspector to help you make these choices. There are bigger concerns than a gaming pc imo.

No one on a forum can or should make your financial choices for you. If you are buying an apartment i would get an electrician/inspector to help you make these choices. There are bigger concerns than a gaming pc imo.
Oddly enough this thought never crossed my mind (bigger concerns than a gaming PC, idk /s) but yes. Hire a knowledgeable inspector, who can actually walk in and look at the place. If it's good enough for general use, it's good enough for a PC. Buy a UPS, use surge protectors.

If choose that apartment ( screens at down ) with kitchen on the same room but with new electrics.

1 screen, like you see there are 2 electrical outlets on wall. Using that first from the left outlet i will plug pc.

I added arrows ( outlets ):
nnn.jpg

2.I dont know if there is electrical outlet near couch. Like you see.

pl.jpg

And i wanna using laptop connected to power cord without using battery. How to do that then,where plug power cord? I wanna lying on the couch with laptop. + PC of course near somewhere the window.

ps:
Sorry for my bad language again. Hope you understand me. : )

what? lol.

You really dont want to be that close to the window when looking at nakey people online.

I would move the couch, or maybe rotate it. No reason it can't face the window or the wall. Then you can put a console behind the couch for drinks or whatever, and a shelf/stand for a TV against the wall if there is an outlet there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back