Is Plasma TV Dead?

We love our Panasonic 46" plasma, and when I bought it, I chose it over LCD for the benefits repeated many times throughout this thread. Better contrast, better (less) motion blur.

I hope by the time it needs to be replaced, that I can replace it with another plasma.....the way things look though, I probably won't be able to. :(

i dont what you people talking about i have had my 50 inch plasma for 3 years now and i love only down fall is it heats up my apartment when i watch/ play for long hours ( good for winter lol ) the picture is richer than any lcd led tv i have seen. my tv is not heavy but its to wide for one person to move it. the only i worry about is moving because unlike a led tv it can not be laid on its back and if you tilt the plasma to much you will kill it

Burn in is 100% real with current plasmas... in the first 100 hours of use. The word "Menu" from the OSD is burned into the top left corner of my ST30.

I've owned three plasmas since 2006 and have had ZERO burn-in on any of them (unless you're talking about image retention which is quite different). I had a 2006 Panasonic TH-42PX60U, 2009 Panasonic TC-P42C1 and currently a 2010 LG 50PK540. All have fantastic picture IQ (especially the LG that still drops some jaws when playing Blu-ray movies) and have well over 1500 hours of use each (including static images from video game HUDs and sport broadcasts). While some high-end LEDs display fantastic picture IQ; I still prefer plasmas bar none and still recommend them to anyone looking to buy a new TV.

Sorry, guys, but I think the whole "plasma is better" argument comes from the fact that plasma is the type of display you went with. I've simply seen nothing that makes plasma better than LCD at this point. Plasma is the inferior product in my opinion and after careful research.

I'm sorry but saying something lik this is borderline assinine. You are assuming the people speaking up for Plasma are purely doing it because they bought it? Thats to say that I have never had any other LCD or LED set, or experienced it other wise, espeically in their intended environment (your home not the store...).

You are also basing this off of viewing it in the store? Honestly if you don't want to buy a plasma, don't. But don't come out and assume that plasma lovers are only buying them because they are loyalists.

Judging any TV picture from an instore demo without calibrating the unit is pretty much useless. Normally the picture is in torch mode (google it, bright + reddish tint sells TVs) and there's a ton of ambient fluorescent light.

Saying the blacks are "gray" is useless unless you know what the brightness and contrast ratios are set at. Useless. Out-of-the-box = notoriously bad image quality.

And the issue with the rising Panasonic blacks from a year or two back? They're still better than anything but a top-end LED LCD and way better than most other LCDs.

I'm sorry but saying something lik this is borderline assinine. You are assuming the people speaking up for Plasma are purely doing it because they bought it? Thats to say that I have never had any other LCD or LED set, or experienced it other wise, espeically in their intended environment (your home not the store...).

You are also basing this off of viewing it in the store? Honestly if you don't want to buy a plasma, don't. But don't come out and assume that plasma lovers are only buying them because they are loyalists.

Read my other posts. Selective reading=bad.

The death of all Japanese television makers has also been forcasted. Anyhow when I hear plasma factories are shutting down I will buy a whole garage full of the best plasmas out. Then I will wait and use them, and after a couple years people will start going after them like the FW900s.

You're still wrong, though.

You're missing the point here, which is this:

From what I've seen, personally, plasmas just don't seem to touch good LED LCD's.

It all comes down to what the user has a better experience with. Technical stats, mechanical function, etc, are only means to an end. If stop!theradio is having a better experience with an LED LCD screen and that's what he prefers then that's what he should buy. It's what makes him happy and gives him the best experience. Someone else will hate LCD and prefer plasma. It's a matter of personal satisfaction. There's no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to preference.

So I say to stop!theradio, if you are having a better time with the LED LCD's then that's what to get - and I say this as one who prefers plasma and CRT displays and dislikes LCD. Get what YOU like and what gives YOU the best home theater experience. In the end that's all that counts. If I helped in any way guiding you to information that helped to make an informed decision then my work here is done. Whatever you choose, enjoy your new screen. :)

It all comes down to what the user has a better experience with. Technical stats, mechanical function, etc, are only means to an end. If stop!theradio is having a better experience with an LED LCD screen and that's what he prefers then that's what he should buy. It's what makes him happy and gives him the best experience. Someone else will hate LCD and prefer plasma. It's a matter of personal satisfaction. There's no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to preference.

So I say to stop!theradio, if you are having a better time with the LED LCD's then that's what to get - and I say this as one who prefers plasma and CRT displays and dislikes LCD. Get what YOU like and what gives YOU the best home theater experience. In the end that's all that counts. If I helped in any way guiding you to information that helped to make an informed decision then my work here is done. Whatever you choose, enjoy your new screen. :)

I don't care who buys what, its blanket statements ruddy irk me, and his blanket statement is wrong.

Thank you very much, and I apologize for the blanket statement I made if it offended anyone. You did help very much, Phoenix, and again I appreciate it. Cheers! :)

Back