Is it possible: 30 inch in portrait?

ARTX

n00b
I am considering doing a dual 30 inch setup with both monitors in portrait mode. I am wondering anyone knows if this is possible??

-I would try it with my 30" ACD if I wasn't in Nicaragua at the moment. I would like to go ahead and order the monitor just so long as I know my G5 will run it fine.

-It will be used mainly for day-trading and graphic design.

-T.I.A.
ARTX

I'm pretty sure it's possible - the monitors themselves might not have built in portrait mode support, but you can generally use software to give the monitor a 'sideways' image. I assume you have a stand/arm capable of holding the monitors in portrait mode?

There's an option to rotate in your display preference pane. My MacBook Pro has no problems running an HP3065 in portrait mode.

Not sure about the second display in portrait though.

Pretty sure the NEC 3090WQXi has built in portrait mode.

That's correct, it does. It's the only one of the major selling 30" brands to have this feature natively. Of course, you could always get a new monitor stand that has pivot and do the video flip with the driver...

you can rotate both monitors 90 degrees with the nvidia control panel. I've done it when i had dual 24" lcds. My 3007wfp doesn't rotate by itself, so i have to buy a separate mount to get it in portrait mode :(

I use Dell 3007 and nvidia in portrait for long spreadsheets. You will need a heavy duty mount.

Z

Anyone had any luck with Ergotron? They seem to get great reviews, although they are a bit pricey. I think I would like it to be a wall mount however, so I could have them mounted side by side, looking all pretty.

@ zkv1: Could you post some pictures showing how your 30 looks in portrait?

ARTX

@ zkv1: Could you post some pictures showing how your 30 looks in portrait?

ARTX

I'm not sure what the point is since you aren't going to see image quality of a 30" on a photo. After all it is a rectangle so 90 degree rotation isn't hard to visualize.

Would you be more specific please.

Z

Just wondering how useable it is. I really like the concept. I was just trying to confirm that it wouldnt be too tall (in regards to viewing angle) if the bottom was just above my desk level.

Do you find that the top of the monitor is less used when it is in portrait? The monitor I am going to be using is a Apple 30 so that might have an impact on it.

ARTX

OK now I get your question which you won't see from a picture.

My firm uses multi 30" LCDs as standard and we use heavy duty arms that allow for large swings and rotations. The arms can be mounted to the ceiling, wall or desk. The LCD is quite usable in portrait for text. My standard setup uses four 30" LCDs, three across and one the left above. The upper monitor is still easy to read.

I'm myopic and have my ophthalmologist prescribe contact lenses that correct my focal plane to the average working distance to the panels. That way when I "relax" my eyes the panels are in focus.

As you can see in other forum posts many graphics types find the 30" panels unacceptable. I couldn't work without them for development and multiple document usage.

For example, your Eclipse based tool wide open on the center LCD, use-cases and requirements on the right, diagrams on the left and your notes/email/ messenger or maybe WebEx on LCD four.

Z

Just wondering how useable it is. I really like the concept. I was just trying to confirm that it wouldnt be too tall (in regards to viewing angle) if the bottom was just above my desk level.

The main problem with portrait mode, in my opinion, is that ClearType doesn't work correctly in that mode, so text quality degrades considerably.

Height is a problem too - the top of the 30" panel is already quite high even in landscape mode.

Other things weird with portrait is that the screen continues to refresh from top to bottom.

It isn't that noticeable when you have it landscape, but when you flip it and drag windows very fast, you'll notice it right away.

The RGB pixels are also in a different way then they should, and can also make the experience feel weird.

That's why I leave me screen in landscape :eek:

May I ask you
1) Why dump $2000+ on 30"ers
2) Why turn them sideways?!!

Yes the text degrades. It's still more productive than endless scrolling up and down. My solution to not having to rotate so often was to put a fourth 30 inch panel above the left one for large spreadsheets

We bill fixed price so all of us at my firm are exquisitely sensitive to productivity issues.

Z

I don't know why people want to put their monitors in portait mode in general. Your eyes see more width wise than height wise. I sometimes work with large spreadsheets as well. I always make mine wider than they are long.

May I ask you
1) Why dump $2000+ on 30"ers
2) Why turn them sideways?!!

1) They look pretty.

2) I have had a Dell 2007FP in portrait before and it was an awesome addition to my MacBook Pro, definitely sad I let it go to a friend as it was a confirmed IPS.

Back