Is buy up2414q now smart move?

Amethystxx

n00b
As my current display u2711 license has expired.
I consider to buy a new display. And now only dell up2414q temp me.

So is buying it now smart move?
Or wait for a little month.

(As samsung intel plan to release sub $400 4k)

I don't recommend it - there are many firmware issues with this monitor.

For your reference:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19536443.aspx?pi23185=1

I have experiences most of the issues in that thread, although with the NVIDIA 337.88 drivers I don't get as many spontaneous reboots anymore when waking the PC from standby. I would not recommend using an AMD card with this - the reports from those users seem to be more severe.

About once every five times I wake up my PC, I have to power cycle my UP2414Q when either of the following happens when waking from standby:

1) The monitor never wakes up and remains in standby.
2) One half of the screen is corrupted (usually the right half) with strange colored horizontal bands.
3) One half of the screen is a different colorspace than the other.
4) The entire screen is corrupted.
5) One half of the screen remains black.
6) The buttons on the monitor beep but OSD never displays.

My monitor is revision A00. I am afraid to get it replaced as revision A01 doesn't really fix the issues and some users are still getting A00 monitors even though they asked for (refurb only) A01 monitors.

I can live with powercycling the monitor as needed. When the monitor works it looks great. Excellent colors, and my copy has no dead/stuck pixels. It has the white glow on off-angles though. Contrast is about average for an IPS (guessing as I didn't measure it).

I would wait 6 months or more. Hell, if you wait a year there might be a SST version, and if you are really lucky, another corporation will release their version using the same 24" panel (I am aware that NEC has a model for about $1300 USD, but I do not know if it is available outside of asia).

Other caveats: When the monitor is in DP1.2 mode, the videocard seems to stay in MST regardless of the resolution - which means there are some limitations - you cannot ever select 1920x1080 for example - this is disabled by my NVIDIA card. You will get very odd resolutions such as 3072x1024 etc. If you want to have 1920x1080 over displayport, you have to configure the monitor to go into DP1.1 mode, and then you can select 1920x1200, 1920x1080, 2560x1600 etc. However, anything higher than 1920x1200 is limited to 30 hz.

I was looking at that monitor for a while the problem is right now is windows 8.1 scaling is garbage you go like 150% for readability the pixels in windows I think are going to show which is what I read somewhere I think Windows 9 might fix the 4K problem.

If you don't care about that go for it the monitor's price has been cut in half over the last 7 months or so it's like 500.00 on ebay right now.

Plus you need at least a 780ti just to play games.....

Smart move right now? NO not unless Windows 9 has better scaling for 4k

But if you just game everything is going to look good smaller maybe =)

Which is why 1080P is here to stay to stay for about a Decade or more I bet.

Just as an FYI: I've been gaming on my UP2414Q on my NVIDIA Geforce 670. Works great for older games (Mass Effect 2, Enslaved, Unreal Tournament, Left4Dead2, etc. at 60 fps). For newer games like BulletStorm I switch to either HDMI or disable DP1.2 and use 1080p upscaling in the monitor, or I play the game in a window at 2560x1600.

It's not so bad! Although I may still have to powercycle the monitor when I switch screen modes.

$500 for the UP2414Q on ebay? seriously? No way!

I'd say wait for the Asus PB279Q 27" IPS 4K display which should be SST and under $1000 USD. That is to say if you must have IPS. If not then take your pick of the TN models out there.

Just order it, For $600 include shipping to thailand.
That half a price i must pay when purchase it here.

thank everybody

I'm so tempted by this monitor but it seems there are so many teething issues with 4K trying to rush it out the door that it's not worth it. Sigh.

I believe the only thing it fixes is the wrong monitor info being sent to the videocard upon wakeup (like EDID information). There are still bugs like the ones I outlined in my earlier post that still affect those with A01.

Back