Is a matte anti-glare coating part of "the panel"?

MetaGenie

Limp Gawd
Is the matte anti-glare coating on an LCD part of "the panel", i.e. would it automatically be the same on any other LCD using the same panel? Or, is it something the manufacturer of the LCD adds to the panel?

I'm particularly wondering about this regarding 2560x1600 30" LCDs. The information may help in my quest to have a glossy 30" LCD free of the sparkle effect*.

* aka glitter, speckle, crystalline effect, crystal effect, shimmer, micro-luster, fine rainbow dust, fine chroma noise

evilsofa, I created a new thread for this because it's a question of a more general nature, and doesn't apply only to 30" LCDs. The people who are most likely to know about this are users of smaller LCDs, because at least some of those are glossy and some are matte (whereas all 30" LCDs are matte).

Essentially yes, it is. It is adhered to a thin acrylic sheet that sandwiches the film. It can be removed, but doing so with out damaging the acrylic below it would be very difficult.

Well, I know it's part of the panel (although I only learned recently), but what I'd like to know is if the stock panel (ordered by the LCD manufacter, but often made by a separate manufacturer) comes with it already attached, or if the LCD manufacturer adds it?

Well, I know it's part of the panel (although I only learned recently), but what I'd like to know is if the stock panel (ordered by the LCD manufacter, but often made by a separate manufacturer) comes with it already attached, or if the LCD manufacturer adds it?

Yes, it's applied at the factory.

Back