IPS Gaming monitor

I just picked up a Dell P2414H from Amazon for $189, really happy with it for the price. Colors are good, I haven't seen any backlight bleed and there is no perceivable input lag. Its obviously not as fast as a TN panel but I haven't noticed any ghosting/overshoot in games at all. I was originally going to try the U2414H but it was $100 more and seemed to have more issues from what I read. I'm sure there are a lot better screens but my budget was pretty firmly under $250 and I'm quite pleased with this display.

Why make these threads when you clearly do not want the advice people give you?

Google some reviews to find out or continue ignoring the advice people give you. The PA248Q sucks compared to the newer monitors like the Asus VS24AH and BenQ BL2411PT (Review links for you to ignore can be found in here), both of which are 60hz 1200p monitors. vs. monitors like the U2414H which can overclock, but have worse colors. All of the matte IPS panels use grainy matte coatings while monitors like the EV2336W use grain-free matte coatings and offer the best image quality, not sure about overclocking though.

I have. Google reviews say both above are great. Not sure which google your using.

Honestly, where do you live at? The best thing you might be able to do is find a Fry's or Microcenter or similar store if there is one and see some monitors in person to help you decide.

NCX knows what he is talking about for sure, but for me personally I couldn't afford most of the screens he recommends right now, but I did see the U2414H and P2414H at Microcenter and it convinced me I could order one without being disappointed.

I live in New Orleans I dont think there is a microcenter or frys around here.. I wish I could see some in person & same goes for a mouse/keyboard...

Someone wrote about CRT's earlier, the problem now is if you buy one of those CRT's they are a decade old. I had one of the famous Iiyama Ha202DT 22" monitors. They were great, the problem with any CRT is that the only way to keep it going after a decade is to change out the tubes. Thats an expensive operation. For example, my old iiyama lasted me a decade, after ten years at 110hz (could O/C to 130/140 hz) it just lost it's "oomph".

However, there was nothing more beautiful than that monitor.

CRT was abandoned way too fast and prematurely IMHO. Oh well, too late now!

First of all, I question whether you truly need an IPS panel.

• Is it for the purported colour accuracy or colour gamut? Well, you'll be surprised to learn that quality TN panels can beat IPS panels in these aspects.
  • Is it for the ostensibly better viewing angles? Well, TN offer decent lateral viewing angles without major colour shifts, so this is a moot point.
  • IPS technology isn't without its flaws. It's not a panacea and it's overrated. Most suffer from IPS glow and poor black levels which really rob the viewing experience.

Honestly, just get the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q and don't look back. Read TFTcentral's review here.

Was looking for full 1080p monitor tho. Plus budget is up to 300.

Last edited:
Any reason not to go 1440p? If 60Hz is good enough for you, there are plenty of 27" 1440p monitors that can be had for ~300. Newegg had acer branded units with multiple inputs listed about a month ago for $280. We have some and they are quite nice.

And there's always the korean imports, which I own one of. It's pretty nice as well.

To me, 24" 1080p is sad. I really don't know how people game on 19" 1080p monitors, when larger monitors really aren't that expensive. Its not like back in the CRT days where anything above a 15" was exponentially more expensive.

I would advise 16:10 at 24" if you can find one. But I have a feeling for just about the same price you could fit yourself into a 27" 1440p monitor. 27" 1080p will have a horrible pixel density, which is fine if you don't mind jaggies and blocky text.

I feel 24 is good at the distance I game. My monitor is actually 23. Also I do not want to have to upgrade parts so often to be able to run native resolution of a 27 inch monitor... My last upgrade was 4 years ago.

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q cost $800 and for what? a TN panel? too much for a TN panel to be honest, even if it has G-Sync installed.

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q cost $800 and for what? a TN panel? too much for a TN panel to be honest, even if it has G-Sync installed.

1. Not all TN panels are the same.
2. Not all IPS panels are good.
3. There are many other aspects of the monitor that you ought to analyse. Input lag, flicker-free backlighting, black levels, colour accuracy, contrast, etc.

What are currently the top two ips full 24 inch monitors?

Why does this thread exist if you're just going to ignore everything?

Google some reviews to find out or continue ignoring the advice people give you. The PA248Q sucks compared to the newer monitors like the Asus VS24AH and BenQ BL2411PT (Review links for you to ignore can be found in here), both of which are 60hz 1200p monitors. vs. monitors like the U2414H which can overclock, but have worse colors. All of the matte IPS panels use grainy matte coatings while monitors like the EV2336W use grain-free matte coatings and offer the best image quality, not sure about overclocking though.

I'm in the same situation. I've been looking into a lot of the Korean displays as a good tradeoff to both IPS and refresh rate. I currently own a Dell U2410 and also have an ASUS VG248QE and a Benq xl2420te in the household that I've seen and tested. I find that 144hz gaming is excellent on those monitors but the colors and accuracy seem to pale in comparison to my calibrated Dell. 27" just seems excess as I find 24" perfect for what I need but I can't seem to find any reasonably priced offerings at this range.

I'm in the same situation. I've been looking into a lot of the Korean displays as a good tradeoff to both IPS and refresh rate.
I've been looking for a "gaming" IPS/*VA since 2009, so far haven't found any that was at least close to decent/top class of TNs regardless of price. It either "wait" or "get disappointed with wasted money".

Anyway, I bumped this thread for completely different reasons:
Next up, high-refresh IPS panel tech for gaming PC monitors. IPS is, of course, the LCD screen tech du jour. It’s higher quality in terms of colours, contrast and viewing angles than cheaper TN screens, but has so far been slower in terms of response. That’s why we haven’t seen 120Hz-plus IPS monitors so far.

The latest news involves good old AU Optronics, maker of an awful lot of the actual LCD panels you find in many affordable PC monitors. It’s announced a new 27-inch 2,560 by 1,440 IPS-type panel with native 144Hz refresh support.

I say ‘IPS-type’ because it’s an AHVA panel which is AU Optronics’ take on IPS – a bit like PLS is Samsung’s version. Anyway, I have an AU Optronics AHVA panel in my laptop and bloody nice is is, too.

So, before you dash out and buy that Asus ROG Swift with its slightly muddy 27-inch TN panel, you might want to ponder just how good something similar but IPS powered sounds. Pretty much perfect, if you ask me. Not sure exactly how long it will take for the AU Optronics panel to pop up in actual retail monitors, but I’m hoping to see something before the end of the year.

Does anyone has more info on this? Besides what is can be googled, ofc.

Source: https://archive.today/k0qK8 | http://www.peeep.us/053f9465

Dell U2415H ('U' model is 1200p).

Instant want. I have a ThinkVision L220x which is very very old now but I wasn't changing because 1200p. Where can I buy one :) ? (Yeah, the 4K is dream is just that... a dream. Let's get back to realities.)

When are ips 144hz monitors coming? I have a new PC but no monitor lol bump!?

Last edited:
Back