iPad running Windows 7 with bluetooth mouse and keyboard

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
It is possible to use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard with an iPad running some sort of VNC client? I was thinking about upgrading my desktop and getting an iPad instead of just buying a laptop.

Any sort of RDP app will work. I've been doing since i had my Nokia 5800. I've also had it on my iPod, on my Android tablet and on my Android phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHX7RNyfjoQ

No need to install VNC Server or any third party VNC server. Windows has RDP built right in.

I would really recommend you get either an Asus Transformer or a Prime and use the keyboard dock. I have an Atom file/media server that's on 24/7 with no monitor/keyboard (It's just a box with a LAN cable) and i'm actually accessing it from my transformer.

Note: That was an old video (1.5yrs old). The app i was using for the demo has "Use native resolution" disabled. I'm using another app now called "2X" that has all the features unlocked and still free.

Maybe i should make an updated video for the Transformer.

Last edited:
It is possible to use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard with an iPad running some sort of VNC client? I was thinking about upgrading my desktop and getting an iPad instead of just buying a laptop.

A mouse I'm not completely sure about. I know that it's possible to get mouse support via BTStack (a cydia hack), but I don't know if iOS supports it OOTB. I'd think that an application would have to be specifically developed with mouse control in mind to really take advantage of it.

Keyboard support, however, is native to the OS. So if you have a keyboard synced, it'll work in any application that uses a keyboard.

What are you looking to do with it? I currently run both Splashtop Remote and Logmein on my iPad and both work pretty well with the touch interface. I prefer the control scheme and gestures of splashtop but logmein has more utility (you can browse the filesystem, for example, of the machine you're controlling much like you're connecting via SSH/FTP).

You can pinch to zoom, two finger scrolling acts as the mouse wheel, a single tap is the left mouse click and a tap-hold is the right mouse button.

Check it out. I know that logmein is completely free now... splashtop ipad client is around 3 or 4 dollars (well worth it IMO)

Hmm... i just tried the mouse (Funny, i never actually tried the mouse on this thing). Plugged in the mouse, ran 2X RDP client, and connected to my file server. The middle button and the scroll wheel works. The mouse and keyboard are mostly intact. Keys like CTRL-O and ALT-F works, but there's no Windows Key.

I'm going to borrow a digicam and a tripod.

EDIT: Actually, i'm not sure if there's a point to making a video. It's missing the F keys, the Windows key and the ESC key. But aside from that, it works just like a netbook with Windows 7 in it. Just remember to use "2X RDP". "PocketCloud" doesn't handle mouse dragging as well as 2X does.

Last edited:
Back