Intel’s Flagship 9th-Generation Core i7-9700K May Pack 8 Cores, 16 Threads

I think the biggest losers in this round are the people who bought 7000 series. If you had built a 6000 series from the start, you at got 2 years out of the system. But anyone who built a 7000 series saw their entire core system become obsolete in less than a year. At least anyone building a 8000 series today will benefit from a 2 core advantage.

I am one of those losers. I really regret going with this 7700k from my 2600k. Ah well, I'm stuck with it for a while.

I'm still waiting on the TDP for the I-9 if it requires watercooling or not or just a 212 evo.

I am one of those losers. I really regret going with this 7700k from my 2600k. Ah well, I'm stuck with it for a while.

Welp, in all honesty I'm also one of dem losers. I upgraded from a 4790K to the 7700K. Boneheaded move on my part. I doubt my next upgrade will be Intel again. I'm tired of their shenanigans and mediocre upgrades. Yeah I know this is Intel's M.O. which makes my upgrade even dumber than shit.

What's really stupid is the fact we can't use a new 8XXX chip on the Z270 and vice versa. They (Intel) locked us out and shoved it in real deep.

Forget to tighten the screws? Leave the plastic on the bottom of the cooler?

LOL! No, I was exaggerating, but I guess I lost the silicon lottery on this one. The chip I've got runs far hotter than any chip I've had. I've replaced the cooling system, tried different TIM, and it still runs hotter than hell. It hits 80C at load at stock speeds. Any attempt at moderate OC jumps the temps to thermal throttle territory. The only chip I've considered delidding.

I was on Nehalem before that and moved to Ryzen. It's definitely noticeable.
Well yeah, you moved from Nehalem to ~Haswell IPC.
Even with presumably the same top OCs (~4GHz), that is a noticeable performance bump, and is exactly the route I took when I finally got off my i7 920 D0s -> 4770K.

Welp, in all honesty I'm also one of dem losers. I upgraded from a 4790K to the 7700K. Boneheaded move on my part. I doubt my next upgrade will be Intel again. I'm tired of their shenanigans and mediocre upgrades. Yeah I know this is Intel's M.O. which makes my upgrade even dumber than shit.
I had a buddy buy a 3770K to drop in to replace his 2500K. He bent a pin, and instead of fixing it, sold it cheaply. Bought a 7700K system... This was in August.

He was also someone who bet on the E8400 vs the Q6600.

At the same time, I was burned because I bought into S939 at the tail end, right before when AMD moved to AM2, which is honestly very similar to Intel's current MO. I probably wouldn't have been so miffed had AMD not publicly stated that they were going to continue to support S939 - which was BS because when AM2 launched, no other processors were released for S939. This meant that for years after my 3800+ X2, I would only look at Intel. Only recently did I "forgive" them, but honestly it was more about MAH CORES.

Being a Dick > Broken Promises.

It's fine. This is a good time for many to wait for consolidation of various technologies into new platforms. I'd like to see PCI-Express 4.0, more (fast) USB 3.1G2, more PCI-Express lanes (and thank you AMD for advancing that!) and DDR5. Perhaps most or all of that will be available in 2019, or 2020 with faster DDR5. That'll be a fine time to retire the 7700K and upgrade the whole box.

Not that I am a fan of Intel's chipset carousel, but I think this is oftentimes just overblown.

I'd love to see the 9700k with both PCIe 4.0 and at least twice the number of pcie lanes as the 8700k. I'm not sure why Intel assumes that people will only have one card in their system or don't mind a performance degradation if they have more than one card. I've got a video card 16x, raid card 8x and nic 8x. THe performance drop has been pretty well documented for the 1080ti if you only have 8x - imagine when the 2080 ti is available - that will suffer far more.

ONLY 8 cores? That's cute for the peseant class. The PC Gaming master race has moved onto the ThreadRipper with 16 cores and 32 threads. Anything less and you are just COMMON.

You can have all the cores in the world but if the processor doesn't process, then its pretty moot.

Any update on the i7-9700K? My i5-2500k is showing it's age and my system is starting to have issues.
I want to build a whole new system and I'm thinking about waiting for the 8-core i7-9700K.

I believe Q4 is a reasonable time frame.
Q4 2018 -- October 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018
hmmm, that is a bit of a wait. I can get a 6 core and re-branded z270 or wait for an 8 core and home they come out before I need one... I should tell Intel that summer works better for me.
Hopefully we get some more leaks soon to get a better indication.

hmmm, that is a bit of a wait. I can get a 6 core and re-branded z270 or wait for an 8 core and home they come out before I need one... I should tell Intel that summer works better for me.

I just went all in and ordered a 8700k, after sticking with a 3770 for 5 or 6 years.

Got tired of waiting and there really is no guarantee the 9700 will be 8 cores. At some point, you just need to jump in and enjoy it.

You could go halfway and get a cheaper mobo and 8600/8400

Zen+ at minimum has to be a serious threat as well. It finally took the Ryzen 7 1700x/1800x for them to release a 6-core processor (8700/8700k) in their mainstream line instead of only Xeons or their HEDT line.

Zen+ at minimum has to be a serious threat as well. It finally took the Ryzen 7 1700x/1800x for them to release a 6-core processor (8700/8700k) in their mainstream line instead of only Xeons or their HEDT line.

Intel still has a strong foothold in Gaming, and their 6-core chips are nearly equal to AMD for streaming. Intel is in a good but not comfortable place right now. If Zen+ brings Ryzen's Single-core speed close to 10% of Kaby Lake, Intel will start panicking and release something like an 8-core 'ringless' chip.

I look at it this way the jump from 4 to 6 core is a 50% increase, the jump from 6 to 8 only 33% (yeah I know it's going from 4 to 8 but don't look at it that way ;) ). Really the one thing you might want to wait for is see if the new chip has a better way of dealing with Specter and Meltdown.

The next time I upgrade after this will be a new CPU, MB and DDR5. It won't be cheap so I will likely keep this system for 5-7 years.
It would be kicking myself if and 8-core 9700k released months after I upgraded.

The next time I upgrade after this will be a new CPU, MB and DDR5. It won't be cheap so I will likely keep this system for 5-7 years.
It would be kicking myself if and 8-core 9700k released months after I upgraded.
There are no winners in the game of waiting.

At least Zen+ has a set date that is not far away. It should give a better

Back