Intel or AMD - Can't decide!

Konowl

Limp Gawd
My current rig, a 1.6 Northwood, is about ot get upgraded. I went with Intel last time around because my previous AMD setup was unreliable and a general pain in the ass. The Intel combo has been, for me, rock solid over the last couple of years.

I'm looking at either the 3200+ S939, or Intel 540. Rock stable is important to me nowadays - I don't like pissing around too much anymore, and general overclocking isn't important to me. I do moderate gaming, which WILL include Half Life 2 and Doom 3. I know the Athlon is the proc of choice for gaming, but I'm looking for overall reliability here! And what kind of benefits does Hyperthreading really give you?

Insights and suggestions please respond!

Both processors are completely stable, you should be asking more about motherboards and the other components you plan on putting into the motherboard to ensure there isnt some quirk with your video or other pci devices and the motherboard.

I recently bought an amd64 3400+ and asus a8v combo for $299 AR that tigerdirect had going in november. They still have that deal going, except now you get a case, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and powersupply I believe. Good Amd motherboards are the asus a8v (k8t800pro), abit av8 (k8t800pro), and the msi nforce3 chipset board. (dont know model name) I also havent heard anything bad from the sli board. Those are all s939 boards with working pci locks that will overclock nicely.

On the intel side anything with an intel chipset will work, but im not quite fond of the intel lga775 chipsets. (one ide plug, ddr2, etc) You could also try getting an older 478 board and processor if a easy future upgrade isnt important to you.

Edit: Man the tiger deal now has a heatsink with it, I really got screwed by ordering early =/

Well I am going AMD this time around. I cann keep my ram and with hthe SLI board and 939 I will have an upgrade path for a while. The Prescotts just did not make sense to me

jacuzz1 said:
Well I am going AMD this time around. I cann keep my ram and with hthe SLI board and 939 I will have an upgrade path for a while. The Prescotts just did not make sense to me
I think you making a wise choice.

i recently made a decision about intel / amd. i went with the amd and i must say from my previous pentium (p3 500mhz LOL good comparison) this thing is an absolute speed demon.

edit: went with an amd 64 3500+

I went intel 3.0C northwood for my new one. I wanted to give HT a try. I don't think it'll be very upgradeable though. The future seems to be moving towards DDR2 and PCIe so maybe by then I can do an upgrade for cheap or something. Not too worried about it now, I enjoy the one I got, beats the 1.7 laptop I have.

I still can't decide, but I'm leaning towards the 3200+.

I really hope I don't regret this. Ugh. My last AMD setup was a PITA.

I've owned 2 computers, both with AMD CPUs. Both have proven to be fully reliable and trouble free in terms of stability. I've got an AMD64 3400+ now and it's great.

Never having owned an Intel might make me unsuitable to judge, but I've always wondered why people pay more for less and buy something with an 'Intel Inside' sticker on it.

AMD. I have been with AMD since the K6-2 300 and have never looked back (to Intel).

I just went from 2 AMD64 Rigs, to an LGA775 Rig, now back to A64- And im asking myself why i ever spent on intel.

mulpsmebeauty said:
I've owned 2 computers, both with AMD CPUs. Both have proven to be fully reliable and trouble free in terms of stability. I've got an AMD64 3400+ now and it's great.

Never having owned an Intel might make me unsuitable to judge, but I've always wondered why people pay more for less and buy something with an 'Intel Inside' sticker on it.

for me it's opposite, i've built 2 AMD computers, and they were unreliabe and were not stable at all. :(

as for my current upgrade path, I know I'm getting an Intel 530 on the LGA platform, what I dont know is if I should stick with AGP/DDR on the DFI 875-T or go PCI-E/DDR2 on the DFI-925X or Abit AA8-DuraMaxx. I just bought a 9600XT and it's proved to be strong, but im not sure if i wanna keep it or not...it's not even o/c'd so its not like its reached its potential...

and who knows, i might build a folding rig or two using the AMD platform again...i hear the 3000+ winny is a good o/c'er :D

92Camaro said:
i got the amd 64 3500+ it ROCKS.

I am glad to hear it. I just installed mine. Coming from a 3.2 P4 . I hope the 3500+ is faster. I wont know until my vid cards show tomorrow

Ok, just got a careless driving ticket, so I have to do things on the cheap. AMD 3200+ it is!!!

I won't be overclocking. What's the best/cheapest RAM for this puppy, and what would an ideal motherboard be.

Okay mate. Here's something to think about.

Intel will give you the best desktop experience ever.
AMD will give you the best gaming experience ever.

You decide what is more important.

-J.

LIke stated earlier it's not processor stability that is an issue anymore (unless you plan to overclock) it's the motherboard chipset and manufacturer. If anything the web has given us so many different places to get reviews on hardware, practically every board is reviewed. Not the ones tha tmagazines decide to show us.

If you want to overclock AMD is the better choice, especially with the heat issues from Intel in the last year or two.

Back