Intel Launching Ivy Bridge Desktop Processors This Week?

I'm interested to see if this is true. I've been holding off on upgrading my Core 2 Quad Q9550 for Ivy Bridge. Up until very recently I've not seen any reason to upgrade, but with games like Skyrim and SWTOR, I have been CPU bottlenecked so it's time to move on.

I'm sure I'd be quite happy with the i5-3570's performance (I have an i5-2500 development machine at work that feels really quick), but I wonder if one of the i7s would be worth the extra cost just to remain usable for longer. The Q9550 has been "good enough" for a lot longer than any previous generation of CPU I've owned, and I'd be willing to pay extra if I could get an Ivy Bridge CPU that would remain usable for 4 years.

I'm on Q9550 waiting to upgrade to 3770k. Remember 3-4 years ago when you were trying to decide which cpu to get and there was a lot of discussion does one need 4 cores or is 2 enough? If you had gotten a 2 core version you would have probably had to upgrade sooner. I'm getting that HT goodness because I know I'll be using my IB rig for at least the next 3 years. Maybe it'll be the last desktop I ever build. In 3-4 years I might not be gaming anymore and laptops could be powerful enough.

I'm on Q9550 waiting to upgrade to 3770k. Remember 3-4 years ago when you were trying to decide which cpu to get and there was a lot of discussion does one need 4 cores or is 2 enough? If you had gotten a 2 core version you would have probably had to upgrade sooner. I'm getting that HT goodness because I know I'll be using my IB rig for at least the next 3 years. Maybe it'll be the last desktop I ever build. In 3-4 years I might not be gaming anymore and laptops could be powerful enough.

I'm in the same position and couldn't have said it better. I bought my Q9550 against all advice, and I'm so glad I did; hopefully the 3770k will do the same trick for me (us!).

Back